Final 2019 attendance ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Pathetic just pathetic. Richmond the crowd minnows.
Richmond a club built on excuses.
Tigers a nice local brand with Collingwood as a National powerhouse.

Why are you so upset about attendance figures? Richmond have finished in the top 4, 3 years in a row. Of course they have got a lot of new fans and high attendances in that time, I hope if Carlton get up in the next few years the same thing will happen. Its ridiculous to get so defensive about a set of numbers

Imagine how big Essendons numbers would be if we played at the G as our home ground again.
Essendon would’ve been very close to overtaking Richmond this year if the Power (45-47k), Hawks (60-65k), Roos (60k), Dogs (55-60k) and Saints (55k) games were played at the MCG. May have gone past them... Add the additional 58k and Essendon hit 1,018,000 with Richmond. Essendon drew really well in 2019.

We have Benny Gale. An honest bloke who won’t pay the afl 1 million a year to get the best time slots, most games against big clubs and most games at G. We’ll play in the pouring rain every week. Pies pulled 32k in the sun against Melbourne lol. They’ll never pull 95k against gws. They’ll settle for 73k though:)

Wow Richmond average just over 50,000 to games with over 100,000 members. That is an excessively poor turn up rate.
Who cares? I'm a member to support my club but due to health reasons its a struggle at games so I only go to a few a year. What do members who can't or don't get there for any number of reasons have to prove?

I really don't get the obsession with going to a game to prove some sort of loyalty. I enjoy watching on TV comfortable with other supporter mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad your not anyone's accountant as Richmond averaged under 51.000 to their games (yes just over 50,000). The Tigers are like an Instagram account. Lots of likes but no real support. A nice little local brand who gets a few people to home games but has no national drawing power.

Yeah nah, the tigs have drawing power - think you're drawing a long bow.

Although it does give an idea of supporter basis, I don't read too much into singular club crowd numbers. For example look at Collingwood/ Richmond, they play the huge blockbusters at the MCG agianst the likes of each other and Carlton, Essendon etc where the away team has a big percentage of the crowd as well, and then claim it as their home crow number. There's not many other leagues in the world where this would be the case.
Carlton played Collingwood and Essendon once.
Whereas we played GC twice, St Kilda twice, Sydney twice, Dogs twice... yeah, you're argument doesn't stack up.

We got 51k to a dead rubber game against St Kilda who had about 1K fans there.

Carlton played Collingwood and Essendon once.
Whereas we played GC twice, St Kilda twice, Sydney twice, Dogs twice... yeah, you're argument doesn't stack up.

We got 51k to a dead rubber game against St Kilda who had about 1K fans there.

No argument from me that Collingwood does have one of the biggest crowds in the league. Howvever, take a look at the stats properly and you will my argument does stack up. Look at the likes of West Coast for example who are further down on the list. They pretty much sell out their ground of 60k on a weekly basis and it doesn't matter who the opposition is. Imo they should be level with Collingwood if they for example had a bigger stadium or had more than 1 local derby. Same goes for the likes of Adelaide when playing really well.

Top decks are empty in 24k staduims but they are 75% full?

On that metric they only need to open the top deck at the mcg for half the games at most
I must admit to a level of scepticism on the GC and GWS home crowd figures. Even using the home numbers of 11-12000 average, most games (esp GC) seem to be in mostly empty stadiums. If the top decks are closed off and the bottom levels are less than 1/2 full, how do get to 11K people in a 23K stadium?

Reminds me a bit of rugby league in the super-league days. There was one classic panorama shot of a virtually empty ground (a few hundred in, maybe a 1000) with a supposed crowd of 9000.
Apparently it's the norm on the GC. The Courier Mail on Sunday in 2011 reported on GC Titans crowd numbers. They found...
  • None of the Titans’ home crowds announced at 14 games matched the attendances printed in the annual report.
  • Thirteen of Gold Coast’s 14 games featured inflated attendances.
  • Five matches were overstated by 1500 or more attendees. The greatest discrepancy was an extra 2209 fans for the Titans’ home clash against Newcastle Knights in 2010.

That GWS crowd killed us...

That said GWS, Gold Coast and West Coast (two on Sunday night and one at Dockland’s) is just about the worst Melbourne based fixture Hawthorn could have hoped for. So those numbers are okay’ish. Replace West Coast with Port Adelaide and it would be the worst.

Wind the club back 15 years and we wouldn’t have hit 20,000

That said it’s a big dip from the 45,000 to 50,000 average for non local home games Hawthorn was attracting between 2013 and 2016. Which I guess shows the importance in on field success in drawing crowds.

That said, in those seasons Hawthorn was helped by higher drawing home games against Sydney (62k and 73k), Adelaide (46k), West Coast (50k) and GF relays against Sydney (55k and 63k) Fremantle (44k) and West Coast (43k).

Will be interesting to see where Essendon and Carlton land next year

Carlton should hit 40,000 next year and Essendon will probably drop without MCG games against Brisbane (49k) and Sydney (61k)

Last edited:
That GWS crowd killed us...

That said GWS, Gold Coast and West Coast (two on Sunday night and one at Dockland’s) is just about the worst Melbourne based fixture Hawthorn could have hoped for. So those numbers are okay’ish. Replace West Coast with Port Adelaide and it would be the worst.

Wind the club back 15 years and we wouldn’t have hit 20,000

That said it’s a big dip from the 45,000 to 50,000 average for non local home games Hawthorn was attracting between 2013 and 2016. Which I guess shows the importance in on field success in drawing crowds.

That said, in those seasons Hawthorn was helped by higher drawing home games against Sydney (62k and 73k), Adelaide (46k), West Coast (50k) and GF relays against Sydney (55k and 63k) Fremantle (44k) and West Coast (43k).

Will be interesting to see where Essendon and Carlton land next year

Carlton should hit 40,000 next year and Essendon will probably drop without MCG games against Brisbane (49k) and Sydney (61k)
Interestin that a low crowd at docklands v carlton (27k) came in the same season as Sydney 63k@MCG, port adelaide 29K@docklands average crowd 44k. Hawks much more keyed into strength of opponent over local rivalry

I wonder how many opposition supporters make up the total attendance of Gold Coast games?
Not having a dig. Serious question.
From my experience over the past two years when Richmond have played, we would have had the vast majority of support there and from pics mates showed me this year, Essendon almost owned Metricon.

I wonder how many opposition supporters make up the total attendance of Gold Coast games?
Not having a dig. Serious question.
From my experience over the past two years when Richmond have played, we would have had the vast majority of support there and from pics mates showed me this year, Essendon almost owned Metricon.
It has to be a concern to the AFL. Their member numbers are less than half the second worst team (13K vs. Brisbane 28K (which will grow in 2020)).

Most weeks it looks like the opposition supporters make up most of the crowd. When they have a home game against a non-drawing team it must be a 'mum and the kids' crowd.

Looking at the crowds in 2019. There were 13 games that drew < 10 000. Take away the the ones that had a reason we can get rid of: M/WC in Alice, the China game and those held in Ballarat; that leaves 9 sub 10K crowds. 5 of those are GC at home, 2 are NM in Hobart and 2 are GWS (one vs. GC).

Unless the AFL can somehow get membership up the crowds will always be low and opposition stacked. And I'm not convinced on-field success would do it. It'd help, but I don't think it would fix it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back