Multiplat Final Fantasy XV

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to attach a number to it because it's such a beautiful mess of a game.

I love the things that it does well enough that I didn't mind the huge glaring holes in it. It was my favourite experience of 2016 gaming wise, but I think a lot of that was because it brought me back into the Final Fantasy fold after a decade of ambivalence.

The story is completely gutted and I have no idea how much someone who didn't sit through Kingsglaive got out of certain characters and such.

The story is completely gutted and I have no idea how much someone who didn't sit through Kingsglaive got out of certain characters and such.
I didn't sit through it.

I was ok until the end of chapter 3, then they did the usual, "Hey here are a bunch of words and lore excerpts we haven't bothered to explain yet."

In terms of characters, it's the main four, Iris and Ardyn. The rest may as well not exist.

I didn't sit through it.

I was ok until the end of chapter 3, then they did the usual, "Hey here are a bunch of words and lore excerpts we haven't bothered to explain yet."

In terms of characters, it's the main four, Iris and Ardyn. The rest may as well not exist.

There's one character in particular I would have struggled to see as a big deal if I didn't watch it.

Oh yeah that reminds me: why does Aranea occasionally randomly drop out of the sky, join my party, then leave it again five seconds later?

Because she's a boss.

She's meant to help you in random fights, but she normally only drops down as I'm running past an Iron Giant on my Chocobo so she hangs around until I stop moving and bails again.

I don't want to attach a number to it because it's such a beautiful mess of a game.

I love the things that it does well enough that I didn't mind the huge glaring holes in it. It was my favourite experience of 2016 gaming wise, but I think a lot of that was because it brought me back into the Final Fantasy fold after a decade of ambivalence.

It amazes me that you haven't tried FFXIV. Based on your views of XV I suspect you'd enjoy it.

It amazes me that you haven't tried FFXIV. Based on your views of XV I suspect you'd enjoy it.

I was going to try it when the entire Destiny group moved over to ESO for a month or so. As that was the first time I looked at a proper mmo and ESO was never my thing.

I'm curious about it though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stage 1 of FFXV story: Wow this surprisingly makes sense so far.
Stage 2: Well I'm confused.
Stage 3: What the actual **** is happening?

Stages 2 and 3 are where it is really evident how gutted the story was.

I'm obviously still too early in, what chapter does it start losing the plot?
Somewhere between chapters 4 and 6 is where it starts to bring in concepts that haven't really been fleshed out properly. Chapter 11ish is where it starts jumping from scene to scene with little explanation of why and cutscenes that don't seem to fit with each other. And chapter 13 (where I'm up to) is where the game completely forgets what it does well.

I'm obviously still too early in, what chapter does it start losing the plot?

Somewhere between chapters 4 and 6 is where it starts to bring in concepts that haven't really been fleshed out properly. Chapter 11ish is where it starts jumping from scene to scene with little explanation of why and cutscenes that don't seem to fit with each other. And chapter 13 (where I'm up to) is where the game completely forgets what it does well.

I actually think Chapter 9 is when it really starts losing the plot. Kingsglaive gave me enough context up until then. From then on it become a much more linear game and the story really comes to the fore, but not necessarily in the best ways. As there are logic jumps and a lot of key motivations missing.

Chapter 13 is the anomaly of the entire game and it's almost universally hated. It is meant to be a change of pace, but it goes for way too long and removes a lot of the fun mechanics out of the game. There's also a few plot issues as well but pretty much every chapter in those last 5 has an issue like in there.

I actually think Chapter 9 is when it really starts losing the plot. Kingsglaive gave me enough context up until then. From then on it become a much more linear game and the story really comes to the fore, but not necessarily in the best ways. As there are logic jumps and a lot of key motivations missing.

Chapter 13 is the anomaly of the entire game and it's almost universally hated. It is meant to be a change of pace, but it goes for way too long and removes a lot of the fun mechanics out of the game. There's also a few plot issues as well but pretty much every chapter in those last 5 has an issue like in there.
You're probably right, but up until 11ish there was enough going on in the periphery for me to ignore it. Chapter 11 is where I really started questioning, "Wait, what am I doing? And why am I doing it? What does this accomplish?"

Not quite done with 13 but suffice to say it's...not the game's strongest chapter. I'm working under the theory that all of the developers were struck by a sudden bout of delirium. Makes more sense than the alternative: that they actually approved this and thought it was a good idea while completely lucid.

You're probably right, but up until 11ish there was enough going on in the periphery for me to ignore it. Chapter 11 is where I really started questioning, "Wait, what am I doing? And why am I doing it? What does this accomplish?"

Not quite done with 13 but suffice to say it's...not the game's strongest chapter. I'm working under the theory that all of the developers were struck by a sudden bout of delirium. Makes more sense than the alternative: that they actually approved this and thought it was a good idea while completely lucid.

I was basically doing the bulk of the sidequests up until Chapter 9. From then on you're paying a lot more attention to the plot and I think it's pretty clear that stuff in those later chapters got cut to get it out of the door.

This makes me incredibly angry. They have two exceptional twists - Prompto's origin and Ardyn's identity - but because of how much they've failed to develop any sort of meaningful backstory or emotional connection it will get lost amongst a sea of shitty narrative. There could have been so much more done with them and they completely failed.

Last edited:
This makes me incredibly angry. They have two exceptional twists - Prompto's origin and Ardyn's identity - but because of how much they've failed to develop any sort of meaningful backstory or emotional connection it will get lost amongst a sea of shitty narrative. There could have been so much more done with them and they completely failed.

The former point is literally never touched on again. Not even a passing comment. People are still debating Wtf he actually meant by it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back