Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Of the 4, give it to Sturgess or Webb.

Outside of that, Ben Sokol.

Or bring back Deluca for a proper go or Daisy for back up if it all goes pear shaped.
Sokol is the one I'm kind of fascinated with....just looking at his highlights package and he seems to have 'it'...not sure why he hasn't been picked up by now. Having said that Kelly and Pickett are also mature agers from the WAFL who made immediate impact.

....and it's not like we don't need another goalkicking forward in the mix....just turned 24 so in the right age bracket as well....we could do worse...

Sokol is the one I'm kind of fascinated with....just looking at his highlights package and he seems to have 'it'...not sure why he hasn't been picked up by now. Having said that Kelly and Pickett are also mature agers from the WAFL who made immediate impact.

....and it's not like we don't need another goalkicking forward in the mix....just turned 24 so in the right age bracket as well....we could do worse...

Not quick, not a great leap but is smart, finds space and is very strong. We'd need Russell to do something with him.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
If we were to pick Moore I would be very worried about our internal list management thinking.
We got plenty of key forward options so just because Charlie is injured, is not a reason to pick another key forward as back up.
The extra list spot should be used not as back up but as someone more likely to be of benefit to the list long term.
If someone was injured from a list position area we not abundant in, then it would make sense to have back up be the first priority. But key forward options is not something we are low on options.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
If we were to pick Moore I would be very worried about our internal list management thinking.
We got plenty of key forward options so just because Charlie is injured, is not a reason to pick another key forward as back up.
The extra list spot should be used not as back up but as someone more likely to be on benefit to the list long term.
If someone was injured from a list position area we not abundant in, then it would make sense to have back up be the first priority. But key forward options is not something we are low on options.

Except that McKay and Gov are both under injury clouds, as is Marchbank, Jones missed time last year with a serious concussion and a head knock could require a conservative spell, TDK is enthusiastic but can't run out games, Pittonet is a ruckman only, BSOS and Finbar are a fair way off it, Kennedy and JSOS haven't announced themselves as AFL-level forward targets...

It's a temporary list spot, no issues with the club using it as such. Forward depth is as good a position to top up as any. Decent chance someone goes down between here and the mid-season draft, so we'll probably be able to grab an in-form state leaguer then if we need to. And if we don't need to...fan-*******-tastic, the list is healthy.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Except that McKay and Gov are both under injury clouds,

So what, both are expected back any minute. Internally we should trust they both back on ground. We got plenty of key forward options and should trust using them all if needs be. I will be worried if we were to go Moore. List spot be used to maximum benefit long term. Moore is certainly not that.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
So what, both are expected back any minute. Internally we should trust they both back on ground. We got plenty of key forward options and should trust using them all if needs be. I will be worried if we were to go Moore. List spot be used to maximum benefit long term. Moore is certainly not that.

Look at it this way - presumably we felt the "list balance" was right coming into this year.

The only confirmed outs are a first year draftee (who we knew would miss the majority of the year) and Charlie.

If we're going to bring in one more player via the SSP, a forward target is probably the sensible choice.

Doesn't have to be Moore. I'd be OK with Sokol provided there's no hidden red flags that clubs are aware of but the public isn't. Or someone else I haven't heard of.

I'm equally happy if we take a longer term view with someone like Sturgess, though we need to bear in mind that whoever we take was either overlooked in the national and rookie drafts, potentially multiple times for mature agers, or has been delisted by an AFL club. We're not getting a free hit at someone from next year's draft, we're getting dregs. Maybe there's a diamond there somewhere....statistically it's very unlikely though.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Except that McKay and Gov are both under injury clouds, as is Marchbank, Jones missed time last year with a serious concussion and a head knock could require a conservative spell, TDK is enthusiastic but can't run out games, Pittonet is a ruckman only, BSOS and Finbar are a fair way off it, Kennedy and JSOS haven't announced themselves as AFL-level forward targets...

It's a temporary list spot, no issues with the club using it as such. Forward depth is as good a position to top up as any. Decent chance someone goes down between here and the mid-season draft, so we'll probably be able to grab an in-form state leaguer then if we need to. And if we don't need to...fan-*******-tastic, the list is healthy.
Harry is training (as is SPS, unrelated to this discussion but still good news!) & Marchbank played a bit on the weekend while Gov is seemingly being talked up as most likely of the three to play round one. Who knows, we may see all three start on field in 16 days time.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Harry is training (as is SPS, unrelated to this discussion but still good news!) & Marchbank played a bit on the weekend while Gov is seemingly being talked up as most likely of the three to play round one. Who knows, we may see all three start on field in 16 days time.

May being the operative word.

Irrespective of those names though, the one and only player we know we'll be missing from the best 22 is Charlie. Ergo, a tall forward via the SSP makes plenty of sense.

Kennedy and JSOS haven't announced themselves as AFL level forward targets?

Did Moore do that with his 8 games and 5 goals over 4 years?

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton

1583236139907.png

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting that we were rumoured to be interested in Jamaine Jones to train with us, which never eventuated, and he was signed by the WCE’s after training with them for a couple of weeks under the SSP.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Completely irrelevant, ODN, I've already suggested whoever (if anyone) we take in the SSP is extremely unlikely to see much senior footy. Moore, in particular, would be a viable option to add an extra layer of depth in our forward stocks so that VFL side isn't left shorthanded if we need to call upon Casboult, TDK and/or Pittonet during the season. Moore isn't necessarily a like-for-like for any of those, but he's a decent been better than a-goal-a-game at that level for a few years now.

The point to the JSOS and Kennedy reference was that our "forward stocks" aren't as rosy as people like to make out - specifically in the short term.

Casboult - fit
Curnow - injured
McKay - returning from a groin injury
McGovern - returning from injury/load management?
Kreuzer - spotty injury history, heart procedure not long ago, getting on in years
TDK - developing, can't run out a senior game yet
Pittonet - not a forward
BSOS - developing, fair way off it, not sure if forward or defender
O'Dwyer - developing, miles off it
JSOS - not a forward target, is more supplementary/supporting player
Kennedy - would like to think he could be an old-school forward target, but evidence is minimal

Repurposing other players?

Weitering - nobody should ever suggest taking him out of the backline again
Jones - see Weitering
Marchbank - returning from sever neck injury, not a forward
Goddard - not a forward
Macreadie - developing, miles off it

That's the point - we've got plenty of talls, but right now we've got one who is absolutely, 100% ready to be playing AFL footy, and that's Levi.

I'd be stoked if we could find a "gem", but given the wealth of talent on our list I think playing the percentages and covering an area of need with a mature body makes sense.

Again though - if there's a diamond in the rough that the club has identified, no complaints from me.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
May being the operative word.

Irrespective of those names though, the one and only player we know we'll be missing from the best 22 is Charlie. Ergo, a tall forward via the SSP makes plenty of sense.

So he's kind of tall at 193cm, but from my limited viewing he isn't really a tall player, more of a Tom T Lynch (Crows) lead-up hhf type. On that I'd have him possibly grouped in with the Jack, Kennedy (Finbar?) types.

He's taller than Charlie and Mitch, but they can both sit on heads and crash into the contest pretty hard. Jack is listed to be taller than them as well and he certainly ain't a 'tall' forward by any means.

Considering Martin's overhead marking, he could even be grouped in with those smaller build, lead up, third/4th taller types who Moore would be competing with.

Harry, Levi, De Koning (Ben?)
Charlie, Mitch
(Martin?) Jack, Kennedy, Moore, Finbar

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
So he's kind of tall at 193cm, but from my limited viewing he isn't really a tall player, more of a Tom T Lynch (Crows) lead-up hhf type. On that I'd have him possibly grouped in with the Jack, Kennedy (Finbar?) types.

He's taller than Charlie and Mitch, but they can both sit on heads and crash into the contest pretty hard. Jack is listed to be taller than them as well and he certainly ain't a 'tall' forward by any means.

Considering Martin's overhead marking, he could even be grouped in with those smaller build, lead up, third/4th taller types who Moore would be competing with.

Harry, Levi, De Koning (Ben?)
Charlie, Mitch
(Martin?) Jack, Kennedy, Moore, Finbar

You could group them like that.

I'd probably argue Martin is closer to Gov stylistically (as a forward, anyway) than the others.
I'd probably have Charlie in his own category too, he's a very unique prospect.
I think Moore probably straddles a line between Gov/Martin and Jack/Kennedy.

Harry, Levi, De Koning (Ben?) | Returning from injury, fit, developing (developing)
Charlie | injured
Mitch, Martin| returning from injury, fit
Jack, Kennedy, Finbar | fit, fit, developing

Would also suggest keeping in mind that I'm still talking about Moore (or Sokol, or whoever) as a predominantly VFL level player. Might seem counterintuitive to use an AFL list spot in such a way, but it's a list spot that we can only fill with player overlooked 100 times last year, overlooked for multiple years, or delisted from other clubs and not already picked up as DFA's. We can roll the dice on a kid who has a <1% to be a gun in disguise but will realistically only be afforded one season to show plenty, or we can pick up a bloke who is probably a 75% chance at kicking better than a goal a game at VFL for us and helping maintain some height/structure there.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Sorry if this has been discussed.

What do we want to get out of the player we pick up? Short term gap filler or a long term prospect? If it’s a short term prospect that will contribute then why wouldn’t Thomas have been invited? He can play backline, wing or as a forward.

if we are after a long term player that we think will get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round come draft time, then pick Sturgess

Other than Moore who in theory could play key position, I don’t see why we are looking at the two mid players as Thomas would provide a much better output.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry if this has been discussed.

What do we want to get out of the player we pick up? Short term gap filler or a long term prospect? If it’s a short term prospect that will contribute then why wouldn’t Thomas have been invited? He can play backline, wing or as a forward.

if we are after a long term player that we think will get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round come draft time, then pick Sturgess

Other than Moore who in theory could play key position, I don’t see why we are looking at the two mid players as Thomas would provide a much better output.

Think Thomas has well and truly moved on, mate. Will have teed up plenty of media appearances, most likely be enjoying time with his family, probably hasn't trained in earnest since the end of the season.

The two mid players we've been looking at are significantly younger than Thomas, but have a few years in the system under their belts. They'd sit in the middle ground as far as being potential immediate impact as well as potential long term value. Moore is the same, while we're at it, young enough that if a second chance presented he could still forge a decent career.

Consider Billy Gowers - bit of a tease for us, never amounted to much, got cut, penny dropped, got a chance with the Doggies and has played some OK footy since (without setting the world on fire). If WB Gowers is the most we can expect from Moore or similar, that's not a bad thing.

Get Pickett back ... he's done a pre-season with the Eagles, and i'd be keen to see if Eddie could be the mentor he needs.

Call me crazy, but I'd do it......although not fully across Picketts mindset.

Would love to see a 'dedicated' Pickett on a list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back