Game Day Final Round Game Day vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Which MCG end does everyone sit? I’m going to game and want to sit with he good guys.
Against Melbourne it was city end level 1, easy to get near the cheer squad
Against Collingwood that section was full, so had 2 go up to nosebleed section. Good view, but not as much atmosphere
Depends which side the home team occupy.
Sorry that doesn't help.
Best bet is to get there a bit earlier so you can get to where you want. Unlike Marvel, it is not easy to get to opposite end goals.
Another idea is to ask on the hawks board where they nest at the G.
Good luck.
I might bump into you there.
Go Freo

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think our best is good enough to win.
At home, i would put money on us but been away makes it a bit closer.
Hopefully we are aiming to finish the season on a winning note!
Us by 23 points
We've beaten West Coast twice, Hawks, Geelong and Bombers at home.

Gold Coast neutral.

We've beaten Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney away.

Reckon our road form is better given the wins.

Why are all of our final games away from home, yet our opening games are also away from home? Been like that for the past 4 years. Since 2017 we have only played the final h&a game at home once.
It has basically been an agreement with the eagles. Means we get our first game at home but they get the last game at home, but this year due to OS not being ready we both played away rd1

It has basically been an agreement with the eagles. Means we get our first game at home but they get the last game at home, but this year due to OS not being ready we both played away rd1
We have had only 1 opening game at Optus. In 2019 vs North. 1 in 6 years. And we’ve only had 1 final game at Optus. 2018 vs Pies.

So out of 12 opening/closing games at Optus, we’ve only had 2. And nothing for the past 4 years.

I like our home / away game setup - the players get a really long break prior to round 1 so travelling seems better then, and then if you make finals you get a long break after the final round to recover. Seems good to me?

I like our home / away game setup - the players get a really long break prior to round 1 so travelling seems better then, and then if you make finals you get a long break after the final round to recover. Seems good to me?
Nah. It would be nice to switch it up every year. I hate having to wait until round 2 every year before I can watch them in person. And would be nice to get them playing their final game at home given their dogshit record away from home in the final round. Plus there’s the bye as well before finals. I just don’t see why we have to start and finish away from home every year when no other team does.

We've only won 3 of 20 (15%) away games against Hawthorn in our history.
Take away the Tasmania games and it's only a little better, at 2 of 9 (22%).
At the MCG we're 0 from 3, including that horrible day in 2013.

With nothing to play for I'm not feeling confident.

We have had only 1 opening game at Optus. In 2019 vs North. 1 in 6 years. And we’ve only had 1 final game at Optus. 2018 vs Pies.

So out of 12 opening/closing games at Optus, we’ve only had 2. And nothing for the past 4 years.
Interestingly there wasn’t a home game at Optus in 2020, 21 or 22. 20 there’s an obvious Covid reason, but interesting for 21 and 22.

anyway, I hope we flog them today and play some really good footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks will be a good barometer of where we are at next year. A historically successful club with a winning culture that we would love to replicate. Started their rebuild after us in about 2020. Even though they kickstarted the rebuild by grabbing Will Day with pick 13 in 2019, a player you’d be delighted to get with a top 5 pick starting a rebuild. They were still in contention then and Clarko was all in on trying to win the flag. I think they were even top 4 in 2018. They did burn pick 6 on DGB though in 2020. Probably balanced out by pulling one out of the box in 2021 by getting Newcombe for peanuts. Have bottomed out hard over the last 2 years and made ruthless calls on players like JOM and Mitchell.
Now the narrative has switched to topping up with mature agers like Ratugolea and Mckay in the upcoming trade period.
There’s nearly universal belief around the game that these guys are on a serious upward trajectory starting next season. Their coach has a swagger and self belief in their chosen pathway like not many I’ve seen before.

Next year will be very interesting to compare us to the Hawks. If they were to bypass us and surge up the ladder while we are still stuck in no man’s land, that will reflect very poorly on JL, who will be in year 5 by then. They are younger and less experienced than us and I still think we have more talent than them however.
On paper, on list management timelines, on rebuild timeslines etc, there is no way the Hawks should be finishing ahead of Fremantle in 2024.

I think our best is good enough to win.
At home, i would put money on us but been away makes it a bit closer.
Hopefully we are aiming to finish the season on a winning note!
Us by 23 points
That Port game will be more bruising than we think..hawks by plenty.

Hawks will be a good barometer of where we are at next year. A historically successful club with a winning culture that we would love to replicate. Started their rebuild after us in about 2020. Even though they kickstarted the rebuild by grabbing Will Day with pick 13 in 2019, a player you’d be delighted to get with a top 5 pick starting a rebuild. They were still in contention then and Clarko was all in on trying to win the flag. I think they were even top 4 in 2018. They did burn pick 6 on DGB though in 2020. Probably balanced out by pulling one out of the box in 2021 by getting Newcombe for peanuts. Have bottomed out hard over the last 2 years and made ruthless calls on players like JOM and Mitchell.
Now the narrative has switched to topping up with mature agers like Ratugolea and Mckay in the upcoming trade period.
There’s nearly universal belief around the game that these guys are on a serious upward trajectory starting next season. Their coach has a swagger and self belief in their chosen pathway like not many I’ve seen before.

Next year will be very interesting to compare us to the Hawks. If they were to bypass us and surge up the ladder while we are still stuck in no man’s land, that will reflect very poorly on JL, who will be in year 5 by then. They are younger and less experienced than us and I still think we have more talent than them however.
On paper, on list management timelines, on rebuild timeslines etc, there is no way the Hawks should be finishing ahead of Fremantle in 2024.
No really relevant to your point but Hawks had two top 4 finishes since 2015 and have won 0/4 finals. That’s kinda funny.

But to be honest the most consistent thing about young teams is their inconsistency. Hawks could definitely finish higher than us next year and then drop hugely the next couple years. Development isn’t linear. Much more constructive to look at results after they’ve happened, and what we can see now is we are only 5 or so games more experienced than hawks are on average and have had a similarly inconsistent season.

Even if hawks win today, we still destroyed them earlier in the year. A lot can change in a few months whatever way you look at it.

Apparently Covid stuffed it around but yeah it does suck, we have been getting jipped on this

It all started with the move to Optus if you ask me, Eagles got the last subi game and the first optus game there too

Problem is we will get screwed again, next year Eagles will get the first home game coz we were meant to have it this year

Apparently Covid stuffed it around but yeah it does suck, we have been getting jipped on this

It all started with the move to Optus if you ask me, Eagles got the last subi game and the first optus game there too
Doesn't make sense. I can't see how Covid would have which WA team gets to start at home. It's not like eagles lost their opening game in 2020 because of covid.

Opening - Ed Sheeran
Closing - WCE

Opening - WCE
Closing - No one

Opening - WCE
Closing - No one

Opening - WCE
Closing - No one (covid), initially FRE scheduled

Opening - FRE
Closing - WCE

Opening - WCE
Closing - FRE

So it looks like for 2018-2020 they planned it out so the opening and closing games would alternate appropriately. Covid stole our closing game, but we were initially scheduled to vs Richmond there. But then for some reason they felt that despite WCE opening in 2020, it was their turn to open again in 2021. And no games were scheduled in the last round. Then again in 2022 for whatever reason WCE got to open AGAIN. And again they decided to schedule no games at optus for the last round. This year Ed Sheeran ruined things so who knows what they would've planned initially.

I just can't understand why they made a fixture two years in a row where Optus remained empty in the last round of the season.

Doesn't make sense. I can't see how Covid would have which WA team gets to start at home. It's not like eagles lost their opening game in 2020 because of covid.

Opening - Ed Sheeran
Closing - WCE

Opening - WCE
Closing - No one

Opening - WCE
Closing - No one

Opening - WCE
Closing - No one (covid), initially FRE scheduled

Opening - FRE
Closing - WCE

Opening - WCE
Closing - FRE

So it looks like for 2018-2020 they planned it out so the opening and closing games would alternate appropriately. Covid stole our closing game, but we were initially scheduled to vs Richmond there. But then for some reason they felt that despite WCE opening in 2020, it was their turn to open again in 2021. And no games were scheduled in the last round. Then again in 2022 for whatever reason WCE got to open AGAIN. And again they decided to schedule no games at optus for the last round. This year Ed Sheeran ruined things so who knows what they would've planned initially.

I just can't understand why they made a fixture two years in a row where Optus remained empty in the last round of the season.
Think the rotations stopped during Covid as the fixtures were heavily changed in 2020 and 2021 due to hubs etc

It explains 2021 and 2022 a little bit atleast, there was massive uncertainty for hubs etc

2022 opened with 1/3 crowds I think so Covid was still in play

We also had the border situation in those years, AFL likely scheduled so that we could hub away

Basically we got screwed over Covid but many teams did, this year Sheeran screwed us and I'd be surprised if we open next year as this was "our year"

Add it to the list of times freo have been screwed

At the train station heading to the G. Last time I saw Hawks v Freo here was the 2013 GF. Expecting a similar scoreline. Just don't want to be embarrassed with a bad result. Last time I went with the mate I'm going with today was the 2011 game where Harvey probably coached himself out of a job. Not great memories. I wish we were playing Geelong.

Is opening the season at home that much of an advantage? I suppose it’s a better chance of getting off the mark early but got to be pretty marginal in the overall scheme. We still get 12 games a season at Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back