Final round - to win, or not to win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm surprised we all got caught up talking about tanking in the middle of the year, it's staring us in the face right now and no one's mentioned it. Here are the facts:
- we can win this game, we are definitely capable.
- If we win we will almost certainly go back to picks 6 and 7.

So guys, tell me, do you want to win this game, or not?
I personally wouldn't be upset if we won it. It would be a good win to give the fans a bit of heart, and i think we still have leverage with two top ten picks anyway. I'd be more positive heading into next year after seeing our kids pull it all together and knock off a side that definitely wants to win. We have a lot of young talent, and we'll add to it regardless...
Fire away, what are your thoughts?

I'd love a win. Best case scenario would be Port getting up too (forget Melbourne, Freo will destroy them) :thumbsu:

Picks 6 & 7 aren't that much worse than 5 & 6, but if we do lose, hope it's a close game for once :oops:

As an afterthought, Port defeated Melbourne by 8 points in the final round last year, getting pick 6 instead of 4.

They had a morale boosting victory and still got their man (Wingard). So there's no harm in winning :)

I'd love a win. Best case scenario would be Port getting up too (forget Melbourne, Freo will destroy them) :thumbsu:

Picks 6 & 7 aren't that much worse than 5 & 6, but if we do lose, hope it's a close game for once :oops:

Rewind to 2002. We win our round 22 match vs Collingwood (who were in fourth mind-you) by 7 goals.

Our reward was to jump over Fremantle, and finish in 12th place.

Ladder ended-up:
16. Carlton..................12 pts........pick forfeited due to salary cap breach :cool:
15. St Kilda.................22 pts........pick 1, Brendan Goddard
14. Richmond..............28 pts........pick 2 (traded to North), Daniel Wells (pick traded to North)
13. Fremantle.............36 pts........pick 3 (traded to Brisbane, Jared Brennan
12. Western Bulldogs...38 pts........pick 4, Tim Walsh.

From all accounts, we would have taken Brennan over Walsh. Brennan may not be the best player in the comp, but Walsh went on to play 1 game for us ffs.

I hope we lose this week!

Rewind to 2002. We win our round 22 match vs Collingwood (who were in fourth mind-you) by 7 goals.

Our reward was to jump over Fremantle, and finish in 12th place.

Ladder ended-up:
16. Carlton..................12 pts........pick forfeited due to salary cap breach :cool:
15. St Kilda.................22 pts........pick 1, Brendan Goddard
14. Richmond..............28 pts........pick 2 (traded to North), Daniel Wells (pick traded to North)
13. Fremantle.............36 pts........pick 3 (traded to Brisbane, Jared Brennan
12. Western Bulldogs...38 pts........pick 4, Tim Walsh.

From all accounts, we would have taken Brennan over Walsh. Brennan may not be the best player in the comp, but Walsh went on to play 1 game for us ffs.

I hope we lose this week!
Or maybe we could've just recruited better and gotten Jarrad Mcveigh, Andrew Mackie or Jay Schulz?

Or maybe we could've just recruited better and gotten Jarrad Mcveigh, Andrew Mackie or Jay Schulz?

Maybe, but as far as I remember we were looking for talls.

McVeigh and Mackie didn't really fit the bill, and Schulz mustn't have been rated as a top 10 at the time (plus he never did anything til he went back to SA).

BTW, it's potentially in Fremantle's best interests to lose this week... for the following reasons:

Let's say the favourites win - i.e. Hawthorn beat West Coast, and Collingwood beat Essendon.

That will mean West Coast will finish in 5th.

If Freo win, they will more than likely finish 7th, which means first week of finals vs Geelong and travel to Melbourne.

If they lose - they finish 8th, play West Coast and stay in Perth.

Maybe, but as far as I remember we were looking for talls.

McVeigh and Mackie didn't really fit the bill, and Schulz mustn't have been rated as a top 10 at the time (plus he never did anything til he went back to SA).

BTW, it's potentially in Fremantle's best interests to lose this week... for the following reasons:

Let's say the favourites win - i.e. Hawthorn beat West Coast, and Collingwood beat Essendon.

That will mean West Coast will finish in 5th.

If Freo win, they will more than likely finish 7th, which means first week of finals vs Geelong and travel to Melbourne.

If they lose - they finish 8th, play West Coast and stay in Perth.
mm, i can't really see Freo asking for score updates on the Essendon Collingwood game in determining whether they want to lose to Melbourne on saturday. And if Schulz was taken at pick 12 he obviously would've been in consideration. At the end of the day, Melbourne tanked to get Scully and Trengove and Dustin Martin ended up being the better option... If we go about things the right way and give a good account of ourselves, we'll be rewarded.

A win will mean pick 7 instead of pick 5 he's the last 15 drafts picks 5 and 7, generally pick 5 gets you the better player
2011: 5 Matthew Buntine 7 Nick Haynes
2010: 5 Jared Polec 7 Josh Caddy
2009: 5 Ben Cunnington 7 Brad Sheppard
2008: 5 Michael Hurley 7 Daniel Rich
2007: 5 Jarred Grant 7 Rhys Palmer
2006: 5 Travis Boak 7 Joel Selwood
2005: 5 Scott Pendlebury 7 Paddy Ryder
2004: 5 Lance Franklin 7 Jordan Lewis
2003: 5 Brock Mclean 7 Kane Tenace
2002: 5 Jarred Mcveigh 7 Andrew Mackie
2001: 5 Xavier Clarke 7 David Hale
2000: 5 Andrew Mcdougall 7 Laurence Angwin
1999: 5 Leigh Brown 7 Danny Roach
1998: 5 Michael Stevens 7 Josh Carr
1997: 5 Luke Power 7 Kris Massie

A win will mean pick 7 instead of pick 5 he's the last 15 drafts picks 5 and 7, generally pick 5 gets you the better player
2011: 5 Matthew Buntine 7 Nick Haynes
2010: 5 Jared Polec 7 Josh Caddy
2009: 5 Ben Cunnington 7 Brad Sheppard
2008: 5 Michael Hurley 7 Daniel Rich
2007: 5 Jarred Grant 7 Rhys Palmer
2006: 5 Travis Boak 7 Joel Selwood
2005: 5 Scott Pendlebury 7 Paddy Ryder
2004: 5 Lance Franklin 7 Jordan Lewis
2003: 5 Brock Mclean 7 Kane Tenace
2002: 5 Jarred Mcveigh 7 Andrew Mackie
2001: 5 Xavier Clarke 7 David Hale
2000: 5 Andrew Mcdougall 7 Laurence Angwin
1999: 5 Leigh Brown 7 Danny Roach
1998: 5 Michael Stevens 7 Josh Carr
1997: 5 Luke Power 7 Kris Massie
Ok so unless this draft has Buddy Franklin i think we'll be right if we win

all i want is for Roughead to be given the job on Brown
wallis or smith run with Black
Lake play forward
skinner DJ jong Tarlia Howard Campbell ect all take something out of the game.

the players will do their best at winning the contest and doing their jobs.

best case would be the dees winning and us losing for the sake of DPs, but it wouldnt bother me if we won or lost, we will take alot out of the game either way

We will get flogged. Absolutely smashed.

Tanking won't even come into the equation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will get flogged. Absolutely smashed.

Tanking won't even come into the equation.
Agree with this, they beat us by 10 goals in round 13 and now they are in better form and it's at the Gabba

Agree with this, they beat us by 10 goals in round 13 and now they are in better form and it's at the Gabba

They are looking bloody good. Wouldn't be surprised to see them nab 7th/8th spot next year if they can win their home matches and jag a couple away (for example, against us). Some real good kids have stood up.

We might as well win given our club's horrendous form in picking winners in the draft.

Although, this draft is being dubbed a super draft....

We might as well win given our club's horrendous form in picking winners in the draft.

Although, this draft is being dubbed a super draft....
Not exactly sure what you're talking about...
We managed to grab Smith, Jong, Talia, Roberts, Pearce, Dickson, Campbell and Austin, all of which look like genuine footballers, in a year commanded by GWS and GC - that's a pretty damn good endorsement.

We managed to grab Smith, Jong, Talia, Roberts, Pearce, Dickson, Campbell and Austin, all of which look like genuine footballers, in a year commanded by GWS and GC - that's a pretty damn good endorsement.

Yeah, good solid picks, but have we nabbed a Judd, Selwood, Pendles? No, you only get those type of players with top 5 picks. I know we are going to lose so not concerned, as long as there is development in this for the kids. But I will be rooting for Melbourne:p

Yeah, good solid picks, but have we nabbed a Judd, Selwood, Pendles? No, you only get those type of players with top 5 picks. I know we are going to lose so not concerned, as long as there is development in this for the kids. But I will be rooting for Melbourne:p
Oh yeah I get that, but we haven't had a shot at the top picks for quite a while. In my opinion, last year is still a glowing endorsement on our skills at the selection table.

Oh believe me, so will I. ;)

We're soooo lucky to have landed wallis, libba and dal in the gc draft and then the guys previously mentioned in the gws draft.

We do need star potential in this draft tho. Get a feeling stringer could be our man.

And if cooney can produce what he did on the weekend consistently next season, he is also that star level player thrown back into the mix.

geez, stop being so biased :p
You guys get better draft pick, we get to help build a winning culture for ourselves (we won't finish lower or higher than 13th anyway, so doesn't affect our draft picks) - win-win.

Yea good point but traditionally we absolutely suck. I can't even be bothered naming them all but we all know the pointless picks the club has made. Our list managers have traditionally been woeful. I hope its turning around, last year considered.

Yea good point but traditionally we absolutely suck. I can't even be bothered naming them all but we all know the pointless picks the club has made. Our list managers have traditionally been woeful. I hope its turning around, last year considered.
think about the good things man, think about the good things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back