Finally our Naught rising star nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also good to note - Naughton finished the year within the top 20 for contested marks in the league and he only played 18 games in his first year...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Must give thanks to Dalyrimple for giving us 2 rising star nominations with our first picks last year, job well done, now go and pick some duds with the swannies.

In a year that we have been virtually ignored by the media in a positive way, Naughton in reality is similar to Callum Mills who knocked on Caleb Daniel in 2016. The difference is that Mills was playing in a high profile experienced perennially successful team in a a supporting role in a very stable backline full of experienced players. He was ordained the winner half way during the year by the media even though he didn’t get his actual nomination until after Round 20. All Naughton has done is hold together a shaky back line full of inexperienced kids AS ONE OF THOSE INEXPERIENCED KIDS playing on key position players with our experience backline leaders MIA for half the season. No one has spoken about him all year like Mills ( or Weitering for that matter ) so even though his play for an 18 yr old defending again the great big guys of our game has been exceptional for a first year player with little support , his last minute nomination is belated recognition but too late.

And yes ED had had some exceptional highlights but been invisible in several games but gets all the media attention because of his red hair, speed but mainly because of Eddie Maguire’s obsession about his Collingwood pedigree. Naughton miles ahead for the year. Should be top 3 - but won’t be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naughton took 27 contested marks this year, more than anyone at three other clubs; our next best was Cordy with 18.

That's incredible for a first year player! Also pleased to see he'll work on his short kicking to cut out those turnovers.

Had a conversation with my old man tonight who’s been travelling around Aus and has only seen a couple of games this year. He asked me if we had any decent kids coming through. I said dad, Naughton is the best contested mark and one of the most competitive players I’ve ever seen at the club as a teenager.
Keep working on that disposal young fella you’re quickly becoming my favourite player.

Obviously he doesn't play a fashionable position when it comes to awards but he should genuinely be talked about as a contender. Already a quality AFL key defender at 18 years old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back