The Law Finally, some judges show some proper ticker

Remove this Banner Ad

So our Constitution does in fact have the right to free speech? Which bit? The vibe?

Not at all a piece of judicial over-reach there...

You're too ignorant to be having this conversation.

Come back when you get a skerrick of education on the matter.

You're too ignorant to be having this conversation.

Come back when you get a skerrick of education on the matter.

So you cant actually point to where in the Constitution it says we have a right to free speech. And more specifically a right to free political speech.

Yet you also have an issue with politicians making political comments about the judiciary.

Though really you just hate Conservatives.

Its okay, Ive got you worked out.

So you cant actually point to where in the Constitution it says we have a right to free speech. And more specifically a right to free political speech.

Yet you also have an issue with politicians making political comments about the judiciary.

Though really you just hate Conservatives.

Its okay, Ive got you worked out.

I can't be arsed spending pages and pages educating you about well known constitutional principles, the common law & separation of powers, only to have you engage in infantile extrapolations and baseless rebuttals. Read some books. Ignore.

Its okay for judges to go and invent implied rights. Its not okay for Politicians to criticise this overreach. Despite the fact that it is the politicians who create the laws which the judges are supposed to enforce.

You seemed happy to quote everything I said earlier, yet totally ignored the bit where the ABC, Age and Guardian were deliberately trying to create a drama from something Turnbull said, despite it being a quote by a Victorian Supreme Court Judge who said that the Courts are not immune from criticism and should be the receiver of robust discussion.

Do understand the difference between common law and statute law?

Do you understand what the separation of powers means?

Do you understand the main purpose of sub judice is to protect juries from undue influence and to ensure an accused gets a fair trial free from prejudice?

Do you understand the importance of a judiciary that is independent?

To reiterate an earlier post, both the judiciary and those critical of those facing contempt proceedings have made it abundantly clear neither has an issue with criticism. In fact, the judiciary cops it almost on a daily basis because it is a soft target. It's only those who give no credence to the separation of powers; seek to undermine the dignity of the courts; don't understand matters associated with sub judice; question the independence of courts in an egregious manner often directing it to the person rather than to the issue et al who should rightly be brought to account.

I can't be arsed spending pages and pages educating you about well known constitutional principles, the common law & separation of powers, only to have you engage in infantile extrapolations and baseless rebuttals. Read some books. Ignore.

A well known Constitutional principle which only appeared in 1992 and redefined in 1994. Got it.

You cant be arsed doing much other than slinging arrows and taking cheap shots. And pointing out how much you hate Conservatives.

I expect this "significant portion" to be dead & buried in 25 years time. Long may they rot in the ground.

The age of conservatism is coming to an end.

Sows ear >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> silk purse.

Bravo!

you don't understand how the political game is played do you? It's all a cynical game to get enough votes to be elected, and finding enough hot button issues to get voters to stay or switch to yourself without hitting buttons that cause more to leave.

probably explains why I can't follow your posts.

you don't understand how the political game is played do you? It's all a cynical game to get enough votes to be elected, and finding enough hot button issues to get voters to stay or switch to yourself without hitting buttons that cause more to leave.

You, and the 3 stooges in question, don't understand how the legal game is played.

probably explains why I can't follow your posts.

You have no interest in following my posts or the general gist of the threads in question. You isolate a discussion that could minutelly support your prejudices and meander off down another road and derail the thread.

You, and the 3 stooges in question, don't understand how the legal game is played.

You have no interest in following my posts or the general gist of the threads in question. You isolate a discussion that could minutelly support your prejudices and meander off down another road and derail the thread.
You are offended that I am not repeating your view like a sheep. Should rename thread snakes echo chamber.

To reiterate an earlier post, both the judiciary and those critical of those facing contempt proceedings have made it abundantly clear neither has an issue with criticism. In fact, the judiciary cops it almost on a daily basis because it is a soft target. It's only those who give no credence to the separation of powers; seek to undermine the dignity of the courts; don't understand matters associated with sub judice; question the independence of courts in an egregious manner often directing it to the person rather than to the issue et al who should rightly be brought to account.

It is coincidence that (in my experience) people who are quick to criticise courts and the judicial process are usually those who want to inch us closer and closer to a Police State where Cops can act as judge, jury and executioner?

S
So there is no free speech in Australia otherwise many of the ridiculous state hate speech laws and 18c wouldnt exist. You're correct its the vibe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It appears at least two of the unwise monkeys are getting a tad jittery.
Two Turnbull government ministers facing the threat of contempt of court charges have deleted tweets criticising Victorian judges for being weak on terrorists.

http://bit.ly/2tngJkB

The judges haven't been very wise in this either. Being poorly handled by all!!
Arrant nonsense! The Judiciary has played this deftly and with dignity. Refused to go with the weak withdrawal. Let the three flogs stew while the pressure built on them. Now we await the abject apology and presumably a dressing down. They three pollies are dumbasses who have been humiliated and they have only themselves to blame.

Arrant nonsense! The Judiciary has played this deftly and with dignity. Refused to go with the weak withdrawal.

?

They're getting an apology delivered by the lawyers while the three pollies sit in Parliament and duck the cameras. And outside of the legal professional bubble and those who regularly follow politics, people are spinning the Liberals as being picked on by thin skinned judges.

Until the Courts show a willingness to chase down and prosecute the thousands of breaches of the rules of sub judice/contempt and suppression orders on social media each day, they're effectively meaningless. Pollies/Journos just make for easier, lazier targets.

Arrant nonsense! The Judiciary has played this deftly and with dignity. Refused to go with the weak withdrawal. Let the three flogs stew while the pressure built on them. Now we await the abject apology and presumably a dressing down. They three pollies are dumbasses who have been humiliated and they have only themselves to blame.

I will politely disagree

I will politely disagree

I take your point about the part of my post directed toward you. It was unnecessarily abrasive. That doesn't extend to my view of the three unwise monkeys, none of which I recant.

However, I am interested in knowing where you think the three Judges hearing the contempt were at fault. You have given no explanation so far.

My views are born of seeing first-hand countless examples of reporting of judicial judgements by people who haven't spent one hour in the court during proceedings (let alone the whole hearing) or taken the time to read the transcript. It has been all about ratings, selling newspapers and click bait. The days of news organisations taking pride in the accurate presentation of news and the fair presentation of views are long gone much to our detriment.

One relatively recent case about which I have some knowledge was of an editor who was contacted about a story that was replete with errors. Even rudimentary matters like names of some of those involved were incorrect. Some hearing days were wrong, let alone a complete misunderstanding of the sentencing. All of which reflected poorly on the judge and was not designed for accuracy but to bash the judiciary.

When the editor was given the details and asked to retract he smiled and said flippantly, but it was fantastic click bait though.

You actually don't have to have much interest in the legal system to see the regular attacks on the judiciary, you just have to view Media Watch on the ABC.

So when three legally qualified members of parliament launch an attack that could reasonably be considered to be contempt I guess the judiciary drew a line in the sand.

As for the approach of the judiciary, they ordered the three "to make any submissions as to why they should not be referred for prosecution for contempt". A reasonable request in the circumstances I would have thought. The three chose to be represented rather than appear and through their legal mouthpiece made some changes to their form of words which did not amount to an apology or even close to it. The judges then retired to consider whether prosecution was called for or not. Candidly, I don't see how else they could have handled the matter.

Freedom of speech should be encouraged but it isn't an absolute. It is generally accepted there should be some reasonable limits. All these unwise monkeys were asked to do is to explain why they thought their criticisms were within those limits. Seems they have now reluctantly accepted they were not.

End of rant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back