Preview Finally - Sydney v Essendon (79 day wait is over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks like we’ll have a couple of good young players in McKenna and Redman missing ☹️
Our forward line pretty thin also without Fantasia and Daniher. I can see Alir Alir having a big day out intercept marking.Thankfully (for us) Buddy is out so both forward lines are a little depleted.
I think our line up will be something like;-

Hurley Ambrose Francis
Gleeson Ridley Saad
McGrath Stringer Shiel
Townsend McKernan Smith
Laverde Hooker Tippa

Bellchambers Heppell Shiel

Langford Parish Zakka Stewart

Just can’t wait for the game only 1 week to go!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brand's one game this year was more promising than I have seen from Melican for a year or so.

Stout and didn't give an inch.

Brand's one game this year was more promising than I have seen from Melican for a year or so.

Stout and didn't give an inch.

I didn't notice Brand was playing in round 1, which is the highest compliment you can give a key defender.

He fits the mould of the exact defender we've been in need of since Reg's departure. Just a staunch unit who can nullify an opponent through brute strength.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
My point is that we don't know what Daniher will be like next year or beyond. You cannot deny the impact that missing so much footy over a three year span could have on an athlete. There are lot of possibilities and each is as likely as the next. There's a lot of praise being heaped on him without acknowledging the very real possibility that he could end up a bust.
Im with you on this mate for what its worth.

Im just glad to be able to talk footy again with people too.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
AFL.com are obsessed with two things: Lewis Melican, and McCartin as a defender. Not that I'm opposed to either, but they consistently produce predicted best 22s with Melican in the side and McCartin down back despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary.

Truly think they don't watch our games.

Yep, its crazy some of these best 22s year in year out, genuinely as if think they dont watch our games.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, its crazy some of these best 22s year in year out, genuinely as if think they dont watch our games.

It is like all those football "expert" who for years always said when a game was going to be rain affected "the conditions will benefit the Swans" seemingly having no idea that our wet weather record was awful.

I dont think hewett helps us as an in, rather see ronke and COR out for Stephens and Gould.

If we revert back to that same trio from last year then god help us. Hewett's a great in but there needs to be less of him, JPK and Parker in there as a collective. Round 1 it was interesting that Parker was our main CBA player, followed a fair margin by JPK and Florent. If Hewett was to come in, whose rotations would he most impact?

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
If we revert back to that same trio from last year then god help us. Hewett's a great in but there needs to be less of him, JPK and Parker in there as a collective. Round 1 it was interesting that Parker was our main CBA player, followed a fair margin by JPK and Florent. If Hewett was to come in, whose rotations would he most impact?
Not knowing the CBAs from round 1 but my guess is heeney and rowbottom, if Heeney had any.

Not knowing the CBAs from round 1 but my guess is heeney and rowbottom, if Heeney had any.

I read somewhere it was Parker with about 84%, then JPK & Florent with about 72%. Not sure about the others but if Hewett is in I would assume he'll be in to play a major role in the midfield, so he'd have an impact on at least one of their rotations, less likely the fringe guys like Heeney, Rowbottom etc

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I read somewhere it was Parker with about 84%, then JPK & Florent with about 72%. Not sure about the others but if Hewett is in I would assume he'll be in to play a major role in the midfield, so he'd have an impact on at least one of their rotations, less likely the fringe guys like Heeney, Rowbottom etc
Well that's the problem with those three isnt it, can't justify dropping their CBAs.

Well that's the problem with those three isnt it, can't justify dropping their CBAs.

IMO the must in there is Florent. He adds a point of difference that the other three in JPK, Parker and Hewett do not.

Parker is the midfield leader and despite my belief he should be a forward, I think his is the first magnet placed at centre bounces each week.

Which makes it between JPK and Hewett, and if you had the choice of a 31 year old, and a 24 year old now entering his prime, I know who I'd rather. Which takes me back to the point I made in the pre-season. At some point we are going to have to live without JPK. Why not start preparing for it now?

You'd then have Parker, Hewett and Florent as the main guys, with JPK, Rowbottom and McInerney rotating through.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
IMO the must in there is Florent. He adds a point of difference that the other three in JPK, Parker and Hewett do not.

Parker is the midfield leader and despite my belief he should be a forward, I think his is the first magnet placed at centre bounces each week.

Which makes it between JPK and Hewett, and if you had the choice of a 31 year old, and a 24 year old now entering his prime, I know who I'd rather. Which takes me back to the point I made in the pre-season. At some point we are going to have to live without JPK. Why not start preparing for it now?

You'd then have Parker, Hewett and Florent as the main guys, with JPK, Rowbottom and McInerney rotating through.

Yeah, I can't argue with the reasoning. I imagine Warner will need to get a game at some stage too.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

This old chestnut.

Is Hewett better than Kennedy right now?

If yes, he should be preferred. If not, he can wait.

Last year, and this was pointed out to you statistically over and over, Kennedy was our most effective midfielder.

kennedy looked pretty sharp round 1 and he isnt effective elsewhere, he will be in the main role if its on form imo

Should be close, but I'm backing us in with their outs. If we see the Naismith we saw in round 1, I reckon we win.
kennedy looked pretty sharp round 1 and he isnt effective elsewhere, he will be in the main role if its on form imo
I prefer him in the mids and I guess we have a surplus of mids that can play forward, but I do wonder if he ever could have become a more permanent forward. Almost 190cms and a beast one-on-one. May have never worked, but seemed to be potential there, and the thought of being able to rotate him, Parker, and Heeney (granted, I want Heeney there full-time tbh) through there on form is appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back