Preview Finally - Sydney v Essendon (79 day wait is over)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could. So could Stephens. So could Gould. fu**, Blakey could cop an injury (hope I'm not jinxing myself here) and be a bust. There are no knowns in football. Daniher has shown he can be one of the very best in the comp, and therefore I want him in my side.

Right, but no one speaks with any certainty with those kids. We say they look good or we hope they do things here and there but I haven't seen any bold assertions about what they can do for us. With Daniher it's like his injuries don't exist, he's never played a bad game, and we're all just sitting around waiting for the flag he'll inevitably deliver us.

Back on topic...

On the training video posted on FB of the boys first hit-out at the SCG, the squad seemed to be divided into two groups, with basically all of the 22 wearing red, and the rest in yellow bibs. FWIW, Sinclair was wearing red with the 22, while Hewett, Stephens and Gould were in yellow. No sign of Naismith, though that may have to do with a recent family situation, so doesn't necessarily mean Sinclair's automatically in.

Could possibly be no changes to the rd 1 side at this stage.
Ronke is already confirmed out so there is a minimum of 1 change required. Would feel comfortable with Hewett for Ronke and no other changes

Yeah, his injuries have really turned him to s**t. That's why he was so awful in the Anzac Day game last year, taking speccies and booting goals from outside 50.

18 months ago...

Sure if it’s for 400k...but it won’t be!

Ronke is already confirmed out so there is a minimum of 1 change required. Would feel comfortable with Hewett for Ronke and no other changes

Agree

I’d also like to see Gould and Stephens debut in front of crowds not that it matters I guess

Right, but no one speaks with any certainty with those kids. We say they look good or we hope they do things here and there but I haven't seen any bold assertions about what they can do for us.
Maybe because they haven't made theAll-Australian team and been the second best key forward in the comp only behind one of the GOATs at the age of 23?
With Daniher it's like his injuries don't exist, he's never played a bad game, and we're all just sitting around waiting for the flag he'll inevitably deliver us.
No it's not. That's all in your head. You seem to be exaggerating my opinion to prove your own point, and I'm not gonna bother discussing it any further with you if that's how you're going to approach it.

Haven't seen a single poster say Daniher will guarantee us a flag. Haven't seemn a single poster suggest his injuries don't exist. Haven't seen a single poster suggest he hasn't played a bad game. Have seen plenty state that he's cooked as if that's a fact though.
18 months ago...

Sure if it’s for 400k...but it won’t be!
You know this how? Sounds like he'll be getting a lot less than he's currently on if he comes here.

Maybe because they haven't made theAll-Australian team and been the second best key forward in the comp only behind one of the GOATs at the age of 23?

No it's not. That's all in your head. You seem to be exaggerating my opinion to prove your own point, and I'm not gonna bother discussing it any further with you if that's how you're going to approach it.

Haven't seen a single poster say Daniher will guarantee us a flag. Haven't seemn a single poster suggest his injuries don't exist. Haven't seen a single poster suggest he hasn't played a bad game. Have seen plenty state that he's cooked as if that's a fact though.

You know this how? Sounds like he'll be getting a lot less than he's currently on if he comes here.

How am I exaggerating your opinion, you literally said he'd nearly single-handedly win a team a flag.

In any case, we're going round in circles. People who write him off as cooked are equally as wrong. To me he is neither a dominant superstar or a cooked has-been. He's just a guy who hasn't played much in three years. That's the only real known here. That should be the starting point of any single discussion about Daniher yet it doesn't appear to be anywhere because people either want to prove how remarkable he is or how much of a grade A bust he'd be.

For the sake of this thread we should just agree to disagree because as I said two pages ago, Daniher is not playing next Sunday.

Back on topic...

On the training video posted on FB of the boys first hit-out at the SCG, the squad seemed to be divided into two groups, with basically all of the 22 wearing red, and the rest in yellow bibs. FWIW, Sinclair was wearing red with the 22, while Hewett, Stephens and Gould were in yellow. No sign of Naismith, though that may have to do with a recent family situation, so doesn't necessarily mean Sinclair's automatically in.

Could possibly be no changes to the rd 1 side at this stage.

Interesting pick up. It seems to correspond roughly to seniors/reserves. Hewett and CoR were in the reserves group so it may have been to just even up the numbers.

I am guessing they would want roughly the same team assuming no new injuries. With maybe a few bench spots to be confirmed based on tactics/ matchfitness/ who impresses next week.

Interview on the swans site with Jake Lloyd and a small amount of match sim footage.

He said "we had our second team run out to try to implement the way Essendon play, obviously a small fast free flowing team, so we really have to focus on our defence and not allow them to run and carry".

So it looks like we are focusing on shutting down their run from defence and midfield and their small forwards. I assume we will select more mobile players around the ground.

Bit like what my wife says about me.
I've never had this problem

Mostly cause I don't have a wife.

But I have a Swans membership.

Same thing right?

Right?

:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: George Hewett, Lewis Melican
Out: Ben Ronke (calf), Kaiden Brand (omitted)

B: Aliir Aliir, Dane Rampe, Lewis Melican
HB: Jake Lloyd, Tom McCartin, Callum Mills
C: Harry Cunningham, Luke Parker, Oliver Florent
HF: Tom Papley, Nick Blakey, Jordan Dawson
F: Lewis Taylor, Isaac Heeney, Will Hayward
Foll: Sam Naismith, Josh Kennedy, George Hewett
I/C: James Rowbottom, Sam Gray, Colin O'Riordan, Justin McInerney

Emerg: Kaiden Brand, Callum Sinclair, Ryan Clarke, Dylan Stephens
Unavailable: Lance Franklin (hamstring), Sam Reid (calf), Ben Ronke (knee), Jackson Thurlow (calf).

Hewett is a certain inclusion, while the Swans have effectively ruled out Ronke (knee). It gets murky after that, depending on how tall the Swans want to play. Does Melican come in after injury and, if so, is it at ex-Hawk Brand's expense or one of the smaller crew? Possibly neither plays, given the Bombers' small attack. Whether McCartin goes forward will have a say in this, too. Could draftees Stephens and Will Gould force their way in? – Marc McGowan

In: Dyson Heppell, Cale Hooker, Conor McKenna, Shaun McKernan
Out: Orazio Fantasia (quad), Jayden Laverde, Will Snelling, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

B: Aaron Francis, Michael Hurley, Jordan Ridley
HB: Adam Saad, Cale Hooker, Mason Redman
C: Andrew McGrath, Dyson Heppell, Darcy Parish
HF: David Zaharakis, Shaun McKernan, Devon Smith
F: Jacob Townsend, Jake Stringer, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Foll: Tom Bellchambers, Zach Merrett, Dylan Shiel
I/C: Conor McKenna, Kyle Langford, Matt Guelfi, Tom Cutler

Emerg: Patrick Ambrose, Martin Gleeson, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Andrew Phillips
Unavailable: Joe Daniher (groin), Orazio Fantasia (quad)

The Bombers will likely have a few changes from the round one side that beat Fremantle. Fantasia will miss after last weekend's quad strain. But Hooker (hip) and McKernan (illness) will both be available to play the Swans, while McKenna will also be available for selection. The Bombers are hopeful Heppell will get up for the clash after making a slow recovery from his foot issues, while Ambrose could also be picked after a knee injury ruled him out in round one. - Callum Twomey

Crowds allowed In next week? Presume all rules are off
Gotta feel sorry for the people who copped social distancing fines during all this, then watch mass demonstrations with the people involved copping nothing.

Personally think Hewitt for Ronke will do fine, although different players stating obvious.

Find it interesting AFL.com have Melican replacing Brand, I would have thought Brand did enough to keep his spot and Melican is hardly a walk up start for best 22.

Gotta feel sorry for the people who copped social distancing fines during all this, then watch mass demonstrations with the people involved copping nothing.

Personally think Hewitt for Ronke will do fine, although different players stating obvious.

Find it interesting AFL.com have Melican replacing Brand, I would have thought Brand did enough to keep his spot and Melican is hardly a walk up start for best 22.
talls take time. Im not writing Melican off yet. Also Brand needs to prove he deserves a spot.

We have an extended history of beating Essendon in close games the past decade including:

The game where Dempsey played-on on the siren

The 41 point comeback with Essendon scoreless in the final term

The notorious "Mark! Mark! Rohan" game

The game where Rampe climbed the post

Long may it continue 👍

A bit more of a blast from the past in the early 2010s, when Jesse White was the great hope, Paul Bevan was kicking goals and Sam Reid was young and rapidly developing

Jude Bolton dominated Essendon in this game

Jude Bolton dominated Essendon again in this game

AFL.com are obsessed with two things: Lewis Melican, and McCartin as a defender. Not that I'm opposed to either, but they consistently produce predicted best 22s with Melican in the side and McCartin down back despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary.

Truly think they don't watch our games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back