Fixture Finals 2022 - Cats go in as Minor Premiers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Once you get to Melbourne, it's easy to get to the G, I've never understood that issue.

But as someone who used to live in Geelong, working 9-5 it isn't easy to get up quickly.

No one is saying it isn't possible. I could always make it to the game by 7.50pm (just), but it was a rush and a massive hassle. I'd have much rathered the game be played on Saturday. I don't see why as fans of the home club who have earned 1st place, we can't ask for our home finals to be played on Saturday.

I used to do it from Ballarat which is further away than Geelong so I do get it.

Sure it's annoying but so is travelling on any other day, it's still travel, if you don't live somewhat close to inner city melb everyone is doing it in some shape or form.

My dad used to just drive us up. To the MCG or the 3hr trip to footy park with my older brothers.

If there's a will, there's a way.

To get home after midnight with young kids? Thats a way to disaster. Sorry i dont agree mate.

The McClelland used to mean something.
Not anymore. Now you just get it for finishing on top.

Between 1951 and 1990 it was presented to the club that performed the best across the three levels of competition; seniors, reserves and under 19s, on aggregate premiership points via a mathematical scale.

It meant more because of reserves and juniors??

It's once a week? How many young kids go to the footy as is? Not like it'll kill em.
No one is saying it's not doable, but it's less ideal than Saturday. Not sure why some people here are taking it so personally that Geelong based supporters would prefer the game to be played on Saturday. The reality is, less Geelong fans will show up to a thursday or friday night final. And as Geelong continues to grow further and further away from Melbourne, that divide will only increase.

No one is saying it's not doable, but it's less ideal than Saturday. Not sure why some people here are taking it so personally that Geelong based supporters would prefer the game to be played on Saturday. The reality is, less Geelong fans will show up to a thursday or friday night final. And as Geelong continues to grow further and further away from Melbourne, that divide will only increase.

Dont think anyone is taking it personally, just wondering why there's always so much commentary around it as if it's an impossibility. I don't remember it being discussed back in the day that's all.

If Geelong supporters can't get up and about for finals and be willing to travel then that's up to them it's not like we'll be playing 4 night finals in a row, it's likely it'll be 1 or 2 at worst.

It's once a week? How many young kids go to the footy as is? Not like it'll kill em.

I understand where PO is coming from.
He has young kids. We stopped buying memberships in 09 for the same reason.

We’d go, and have everything set. We were sorted.
But by 1/2 time our kids were kicking seats in front of us.

I’d turn to the wife and say ‘this isn’t fair on anyone. We’re going home’.

Although I will say kids can sleep in the car all the way home. My issue was if it was right for everyone.

Should the kids be up past bedtime.
Should I just watch the kids all game (which I did)
Do the people in front deserve to be kicked in the back for an hour?

I decided no.

I don't remember it being discussed back in the day that's all.
Think 2013 changed that. Geelong fans have found a voice and no longer want to cop being the league bitch. We want home games and home finals, and given we're going to finish 1st on the ladder, we should be given the choice of time slot that suits best our advantage (getting the most fans to the ground, given we won't be given a choice of ground).

Times have changed. Finals aren't neutral anymore.

I understand where PO is coming from.
He has young kids. We stopped buying memberships in 09 for the same reason.

We’d go, and have everything set. We were sorted.
But by 1/2 time our kids were kicking seats in front of us.

I’d turn to the wife and say ‘this isn’t fair on anyone. We’re going home’.

Although I will say kids can sleep in the car all the way home. My issue was if it was right for everyone.

Should the kids be up past bedtime.
Should I just watch the kids all game (which I did)
Do the people in front deserve to be kicked in the back for an hour?

I decided no.

That's fair but do you take them to Geelong night matches? The same thing would happen, no?

That's fair but do you take them to Geelong night matches? The same thing would happen, no?

That’s where the problem started. Geelong became popular and therefor we copped heaps of night games.

The day games were against crap teams.
We don’t go anymore.

The last full game I saw my kids watch on the tv was the 2021 GF. Stunned me.

As for a full geelong game? I actually can’t remember. I ask them to come watch. They last 15 minutes.

They are lost to the sport.

This take might get me banned but something has been itching in the back of my mind for the last month or so. Dangerfield. Is he approaching 'dead weight' status? Honestly - how important is he in our potential premiership success? If we somehow make it and win it, I just don't see Danger being a significant piece of the success story. There are so many players in the team who are now so much more vital than him. Hawk, Cameron, Stengle, Holmes, Atkins, Henry, Blicavs, SDK, Bews, Stewart, Stanley, Guthrie (x2), Close, etc. I'd take every one of those players over Dangerfield in a final. And that's a great thing for our team. My hope is that Danger will go into finals with zero pressure on his shoulders. It might make it more likely for him to tear a game apart.

ducks

I've had similar thoughts. We've won regularly without him.

If his name wasn't Patrick Dangerfield then I think his position in the team would be among the more vulnerable.

He's been ok. But not great. Has zero defensive side to his game, an area in which all of our other mids have really stepped up this year.

He's only kicked 6 goals for the season (and 9 behinds).

He still gets decent penetration on his kicking, but his touch has all but gone.

He used to be a wonderful contested mark but doesn't have the spring or clean hands he once had.

What's worse his manic attack on the ball is contrary to the clinical-yet-desperate manner in which the rest of our midfield operate.

He played a decent game a few weeks ago (but kicked 0.4), with some very nice centre clearances - so he still has the ability there.

Has to focus on playing smarter, and really has to tighten up the defensive side of his game. Can't have the rest of the team buying in to the elite pressure we've seen from the side this year only to be let down by one or two who don't have the technique or (worse) the desire.

Hopefully he plays his role and injuries are not a deciding factor in his selection - I think he still often tries to do too much and he's not that player anymore.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think anyone is taking it personally, just wondering why there's always so much commentary around it as if it's an impossibility. I don't remember it being discussed back in the day that's all.

If Geelong supporters can't get up and about for finals and be willing to travel then that's up to them it's not like we'll be playing 4 night finals in a row, it's likely it'll be 1 or 2 at worst.

You are completely missing the point.
Nobody said it's impossible to get to, or it's too hard so not worth it, they are saying it because we FINISHED ON TOP and therefore should get the ADVANTAGE.
We don't get that with an actual home final so how about we get the advantage by ensuring the most amount of Cats fans possible can actually go.
Otherwise there's absolutely no point for us to finish top 2 vs 3 or 4 since we essentially play an away final.

If bookies’ favourites win next week it will end up:

4FE00B89-C328-427A-B82F-909BAC1A01A4.jpeg

If favourites win except Dees beat Lions it will be:

ABD6425A-5332-4634-A247-5940A7E07467.jpeg

If favourites except Blues d Pies it will be:

0AA94151-23A6-48DB-BFF3-F6EAFD664333.jpeg

If favourites except Dees and Blues win it will be:

2F65B9FA-9987-4094-8931-8FC2BA8DDBFE.jpeg

We’ll be playing Thursday or Friday night; depending on where the other QF is played.
They tend to group the QF and EFs, so one group plays Thur/Fri, and the other plays Sat/Sat, to have a similar break going into the Friday/Saturday the next week for the loser and winner respectively.

edit: Since the pre-finals bye was introduced, 3 of 4 years have had one QF played Thur/Fri and the other on Sat.

Think 2013 changed that. Geelong fans have found a voice and no longer want to cop being the league bitch. We want home games and home finals, and given we're going to finish 1st on the ladder, we should be given the choice of time slot that suits best our advantage (getting the most fans to the ground, given we won't be given a choice of ground).

Times have changed. Finals aren't neutral anymore.
Well, all collingwood need to do is win next week to lock in a home qualifying final from 4th place.

Quite a disgraceful thing given we are going to finish 2 games clear ontop of the ladder and we have to play away.

We may as well have come second and gotten a better advantage against brisbane

Well, all collingwood need to do is win next week to lock in a home qualifying final from 4th place.

Quite a disgraceful thing given we are going to finish 2 games clear ontop of the ladder and we have to play away.

100%. And we still have to convince supporters on this board on the merits of a Saturday Arvo final. smh, well done AFL.

Whilst I’m a believer of just focusing on the controllable and not trying to look too far ahead, I would prefer to play our qualifying final vs Brisbane at the G’. But Sydney, Melb and Collingwood would all be so tough… there’s no easy games.

For just one year can we not whinge about the vagaries of the finals system. We have arguably the best home ground advantage of any team. If we are good enough we will win the flag, regardless of the ground. #noexcuses

The point on the weekday night games is TV viewing. Ok, in theory then it shouldn't matter where as long as there is a good crowd for the atmosphere. (although this is suss since all the announcers talk over the crowd) So, in theory with a finished KP, there should be no reason not to have one of the games there. Can you tell the difference between a full KP or MCG based on the TV? Sound levels will be equalized the same on TV, all the seats filled so optics looks good. One rocking stadium is as good as the next.
Difference is the Melbourne based fans are preferred, (ok some games thus scheduled for them - no problem. But a final, it's all about the sponsors, MCC, and other groups the AFL kiss up to who are given the convenience of not going far; if they deign to watch. It really is about politics. You include the members of the big 4 in that, and they would be the only fans the AFL might favor. All others, they could really care less. And really they don't even try to hide it. If they really gave a stuff, there would be special deals for country based members of both teams, backed by the AFL for transpo, parking, seats, etc. It's not hard; if you care about fans, especially families.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back