Prediction Finals a possibility - albeit the stars would need to align

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on how you selected the other matches. I had us winning all but Hawthorn and I left the 12 point margins for all games. So percentage will play a role too, but yeah, I have North winning 3 more, which I'd say is fairly realistic. Us winning 6 more is pretty unrealistic so yeah, it's not going to happen.

Hopefully they can make the rest of what remains of the season enjoyable for us though.

Norf's easiest games in the run home are against us, the Saints and Power. On current form and injury status those games are no better than 50/50 for them. Even if they go 2/3 from those with us winning I reckon they lose all the other ones against the top 8 sides.

Love your positivity SM. But you forgot to mention Maynard - maynartaurus? - and what he will do to the Crow forwards.:yum:

Thanks. I only mention the maynardtaur when the young fella gets unfair criticism.
I think a lot of his critics are starting to see the value in the half man half bull wonder.

We saw what he done to the seasoned campaigner in Stevie j on the weekend. Pantsed him.

Especially enjoyed the wrestle they had. Was good to see johnsons face as got up and walked thinking to himself - gee this kids an animal.

if we can beat crows and north l will get on board but to me the crows out side hawthorn
they are the best all rounded team this year so no for me.
just like us to put the effort in like Saturday for the rest of the season and l will happy

Would love to think we could come home with a string of wins and make the 8. Considering we play about 5 top 8 sides in the run home, if we win 6 out of the remaining 7, we derserve to play finals. For me l would just like to see a strong finish to the year, the youngsters continue to play, the back and forward lines remain consistent with personnel and build the platform for next year. l think we could win 3 to 4 of our remaining 7 games, so a 10 to 11 games won season would be a pass mark for me, considering the horror injury run this year.

if we can beat crows and north l will get on board but to me the crows out side hawthorn
they are the best all rounded team this year so no for me.
just like us to put the effort in like Saturday for the rest of the season and l will happy
I rated us little to no chance against GWS and Crows. Whatever chance we have against the Crows is slightly less again given it's Scotty Thompson's 300th match. Will take a ripping effort from the boys to win this week but agree with you it's the effort we want to see and if that happens we'll get several results go our way.

We will need to win by 4 goals to get in on % and win by 23 pts.

... 22 points ahead, Cloke marks 15 meters out, final siren sounds, kick yet to come, a stadium holds its collective breath ...

... :cool::po_O:rolleyes::oops::mad::(:'(

Last edited:
Given the form/record and year absolutely crazy. Insane.

Yet..............North are cooked. In the little bit of footy I did see, North look totally stuffed. As in Melbourne 2013 goneski in that they can no longer through injury, lack of fitness reasonably even compete. Wouldn't surprise me if they dropped all 6 and fell away Essendon 2012 style. So a spot is there. Tough run thou.

So this week we "want";

Pies to beat North; That's totally in our control obviously, and should happen.
Dogs to beat Saints; Likely too, even with Stringer out.
GWS to beat Port; Not sure about this one, the Giants have been up and down and are coming off a training run in Brisbane.

If that all happens we will be 8 premiership points off 8th, equal with the Saints and Power once again, with 5 games left.

Richmond and Melbourne, who along with us are still mathematical chances, should be eliminated this week with losses to the Hawks and Eagles.

I rate our chances at about 5% at the moment, if those 3 results go our way, I reckon it rises to about 15% come Sunday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this week we "want";

Pies to beat North; That's totally in our control obviously, and should happen.
Dogs to beat Saints; Likely too, even with Stringer out.
GWS to beat Port; Not sure about this one, the Giants have been up and down and are coming off a training run in Brisbane.

If that all happens we will be 8 premiership points off 8th, equal with the Saints and Power once again, with 5 games left.

Richmond and Melbourne, who along with us are still mathematical chances, should be eliminated this week with losses to the Hawks and Eagles.

I rate our chances at about 5% at the moment, if those 3 results go our way, I reckon it rises to about 15% come Sunday night.

I see the logic here but wouldn't mind seeing Port and St.Kilda getting up also. It just keeps the pressure on North (especially if the Saints get up. Huge North vs St.Kilda Round 19 Saturday night match if this eventuates.

Still think the start to the year will be too much to overcome and North or Port will get that 8th spot. We've gone 5-4 since the Carlton loss and very likely would have been 6-3 if we had a bench in the last quarter vs Western Bulldogs. Think the Adelaide game was the hardest in our run home from the bye and from what I gather (couldn't watch the game) we gave it a good crack (I checked the MB gameday thread and there seemed to be a few opposition supporters praising the effort rather than digging the boots in, I figure that's got to count for something). North are struggling and injured at the moment so give us every chance, wish it was at MCG instead though. West Coast seem to hate the MCG... even Carlton gave them a run for their money there, no reason we can't knock them off at home. Richmond have had a poor year and we knocked them off at the start of the year while we were pretty poor, just have to contain Dusty. Western Bulldogs at Etihad is the hardest one to be optimistic for, of course, we had them beat earlier in the year but that was at the MCG. Gold Coast will be looking to 2017 at this stage. Could we possibly come into Round 23 at 11-10 or even 12-9? We'd need no more injuries, lots of results to fall our way and to be at our best but it's possible if unlikely. You would think (with there being a bye after Round 23) that if there's a chance for Collingwood to make finals at this stage that they'd do the Hawthorn vs Collingwood game on the Friday night. Would be a huge match, 80,000+ crowd.

We can dream at least. More realistically, if we can pick up another 4 wins to get to 11-11 (and some decent showings in the losses) I'd be happy given some of the abysmal footy we've played this year.

I see the logic here but wouldn't mind seeing Port and St.Kilda getting up also. It just keeps the pressure on North (especially if the Saints get up. Huge North vs St.Kilda Round 19 Saturday night match if this eventuates.

Still think the start to the year will be too much to overcome and North or Port will get that 8th spot. We've gone 5-4 since the Carlton loss and very likely would have been 6-3 if we had a bench in the last quarter vs Western Bulldogs. Think the Adelaide game was the hardest in our run home from the bye and from what I gather (couldn't watch the game) we gave it a good crack (I checked the MB gameday thread and there seemed to be a few opposition supporters praising the effort rather than digging the boots in, I figure that's got to count for something). North are struggling and injured at the moment so give us every chance, wish it was at MCG instead though. West Coast seem to hate the MCG... even Carlton gave them a run for their money there, no reason we can't knock them off at home. Richmond have had a poor year and we knocked them off at the start of the year while we were pretty poor, just have to contain Dusty. Western Bulldogs at Etihad is the hardest one to be optimistic for, of course, we had them beat earlier in the year but that was at the MCG. Gold Coast will be looking to 2017 at this stage. Could we possibly come into Round 23 at 11-10 or even 12-9? We'd need no more injuries, lots of results to fall our way and to be at our best but it's possible if unlikely. You would think (with there being a bye after Round 23) that if there's a chance for Collingwood to make finals at this stage that they'd do the Hawthorn vs Collingwood game on the Friday night. Would be a huge match, 80,000+ crowd.

We can dream at least. More realistically, if we can pick up another 4 wins to get to 11-11 (and some decent showings in the losses) I'd be happy given some of the abysmal footy we've played this year.
The games that will ultimately cost us any chance at playing finals are the back to back floggings against Port and the Dees. Not only did we lose to 2 teams around us on the ladder, but we gave up percentage to both of them, and damaged our percentage in the process.

I expect us to finish at about 11-11, which is actually an improvement on last season, although we would never have realistically been in finals contention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back