Finals fixture confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

I really wish the AFL had scheduled our final at Marvel, our last home final was an elim against Sydney at Marvel in 2011. The MCG is basically a neutral venue for us given how rarely we play there, and we won't get more than 50k against an interstate side with a small supporter base. I can't see many AFL or MCC members bothering to turn up to it, either.

I'm going either way, of course, but I'd much prefer it was at our actual home ground than a venue we've played at no more than half a dozen times in as many years.
Neutral. Wait till you play an away final finishing top so all the opposition fans can go.

Brisbane vs Port should be scheduled on the Friday night with Carlton vs Sydney on the Saturday night.

No, understand how the fixture works the loser of Collingwood vs Melbourne plays the winner of Carlton vs Sydney so only 24 hours advantage not 48 hours which what you would be proposing.

Likewise the other side of the draw the games are being played on the same day so no advantage.

I assume its the same time for all clubs but this was put up by the Saints "Tickets will go on sale Wednesday 30 August, with Saints members getting first access from 10am, before AFL members at 12pm and the general public at 3pm (all times AEST)."
In case it hasn’t been listed below, Pies game is on sale Tuesday morning 10am-2pm for members

No, understand how the fixture works the loser of Collingwood vs Melbourne plays the winner of Carlton vs Sydney so only 24 hours advantage not 48 hours which what you would be proposing.

Likewise the other side of the draw the games are being played on the same day so no advantage.
I see the logic behind how it is scheduled, but the teams that don’t finish in the top four should not be getting any favours.

Agree with Brownys comments, the Port v Brisbane game and time slot completely shafts port. Can’t fly home on the Saturday and lose a days recovery in comparison to the elimination final teams.

Shouldn’t be a deciding factor but every small bit counts at this point in the season. Top 4 teams should have all the advantages and that includes the extra days break.

Thurs/Fri night should be the QFs and elims to follow on the Saturday or at a minimum, the port / Brissy and saints / GWS game should have been switched.

But ratings come first!

Last edited:
would get 45k at Marvel and be a great atmosphere and it is our home ground and we earnt a home final. But nah, let's stitch the Saints and play it at a less than half full G. Dogs, Nth and Saints the only sides to NOT get home finals. Typical AFL.
Why would you not want your club playing on the biggest ground of them all? You seriously want to play finals at Marvel? That is such minnow mentality.

You mean the team that finished higher gets an advantage? Isn't that how it should be
Collingwood/Melbourne are getting an advantage playing on the Thursday - they get the extra day off compared to the winner of Carlton/Sydney. To be most fair they should have put Lions/Port in the afternoon and Saints/Giants at night to give the loser of Lions/Port to get the extra few hours to get home

Collingwood/Melbourne are getting an advantage playing on the Thursday - they get the extra day off compared to the winner of Carlton/Sydney. To be most fair they should have put Lions/Port in the afternoon and Saints/Giants at night to give the loser of Lions/Port to get the extra few hours

And Port/Lions get no such advantage.

If Port Lions was on Friday night, it alleviates all the issues. Yes, it's a 2 extra day break for Coll/Melb, but that's what finishing higher should get you.

But the AFL see 2 non-Vic clubs so screwed them.

And Port/Lions get no such advantage.

If Port Lions was on Friday night, it alleviates all the issues. Yes, it's a 2 extra day break for Coll/Melb, but that's what finishing higher should get you.

But the AFL see 2 non-Vic clubs so screwed them.
Mate, there's no point having this discussion if you are just gonna use Vic-bias as your argument.

Finish top 4 you get a double chance - not sure there needs to be a a fixture manufactured to force potentially 5th to have two days less rest than potentially 4th in any given season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back