Unofficial Preview Finals footy 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t want to play Port week 1.

They are the form team of the bottom 8 and probably have us covered for healthy talent.

They are the sort of team that could blow us away in 1 quarter with their high tempo crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have their measure - it is Bulldogs who would be the danger I think.

Toughest opponent: West Coast

Would rather avoid: GWS, Bulldogs

Confident against: Port Adelaide, Essendon

Despite the negativity, I think it's a great effort from the club to make finals again after the heartbreak of last year. Adelaide is a great recent example of a side which didn't take their opportunity and then fell off the cliff the following year. Given all the injuries, the ASADA investigation of Murray, the betting scandal, and the fact we had a tougher draw to start the year, we've done well for most parts of the season.

We've dropped away a lot over the past 2 months, and that's a concern, but we still have the opportunity to make top 4 if we win our next 2 games. And if we don't, I still think we are a dangerous team considering the talent that will return.

Having said all that, there's still a fair bit we aren't doing right, and I would hope the club continues to review its coaching panel, medical team and also I hope we make some strong list management decisions in the off-season because we need a healthier list, and it's time to cut ties with some of the older injury prone types,

My sneaking suspicion all year is that we have been playing in fits and spurts, saving our fragile bodies for September. The theory held out ok until the injury toll mounted...not sure what to expect come finals. Hope we just come out and smash the opposition with unrelenting pressure.

Ideally we finish 4th and play Geelong at the G. We’ve got them covered I feel. Alternatively from 5th or 6th anybody but GWS is be comfortable with.

West Coast is still the stand out for me, question mark on Brisbane given lack of finals experience. Everybody else is pretty even.

If we recall last year, we were beaten week 1 of finals, and then played a fairly ordinary game against GWS but won. It wasn't until the Prelim where we really lit it up.

I think even with our full squad, we are going to need to build this finals series again because we'll have a lot of players who have had interrupted lead-ins. Hopefully we can sneak into the top 4 so we can afford to drop the first week. if not, then we simply need to get past the first week of finals and hope that momentum builds. We are a dangerous side with momentum considering the talent on the list.

I can't see us getting very far this finals without Darcy Moore and JDG in full flight. It's a worry both remain out with only 2 weeks to go until finals.

So we have an over rated list? One that made a GF 12 months ago... any club that makes a GF does not have an over rated list.
Injuries have smashed us this year, any other side with the amount and consistency of injuries we have copped this year would struggle.

We get Degoey, Moore, Stephenson and possibly Wells into the mix for finals and it’s game on.
We do have an overrated list ,(best midfield lol) just like Melbournes ,we also spiked like the dogs (few changes to that premiership squad right
, however we are a little more experienced

IMO we fell into the g/f on the back of Masons wonderful performance and the tigers panicked, certainly helped us and hawthorn that
we had a easy draw and gws are well gws (like Melbourne mentally soft)

Our performances have been bog average all year , winning games on method and continuity and other teams not taking their opportunities

We do have an overrated list ,(best midfield lol) just like Melbournes ,we also spiked like the dogs (few changes to that premiership squad right
, however we are a little more experienced

IMO we fell into the g/f on the back of Masons wonderful performance and the tigers panicked, certainly helped us and hawthorn that
we had a easy draw and gws are well gws (like Melbourne mentally soft)

Our performances have been bog average all year , winning games on method and continuity and other teams not taking their opportunities
No we were online to break a 100+ year old record for 1st quarters

The team isn't overrated, it's decimated

Maynard Dunn Scharenberg
Langdon Howe Roughead

Grundy Adams Crisp
Treloar Beams Wells

Mihocek Moore Stephenson
De Goey Cox Sidebottom

Elliott WHE Phillips Pendlebury

This week is crucial against Adelaide. Win and we are a genuine chance of top 4. I honestly think west coast will roll the tigers at the G. We will beat Essendon Rd 23, they are beyond cooked. Need De Goey, Moore & Stevo back and we can take it to anyone I feel.

Weagles will smack Tigers I reckon

Tigers have been lucky with their past two matches being wet. That suits their ugly s**t footy. In dry conditions the good teams will flog them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of me wants to see Moore come back and play a staring role up forward. However I prefer to see him inside our defensive 50 with Roughead.

Our backline has looked the most secure with both he and Roughy back there. Roughy roles into the ruck when Brodie needs a rest, Howe/Scharenberg pick up his man and Greenwood covers their initial player?

I think we need to play Mihocek as our sole KPF and back in the deadly combo of DeGoey, Stevo, Elliot, WHE and Varcoe/Thomas/maybe Mayne in a defensive forward role.

This means we need to be more clever going inside 50, lower the eyes and hit the leading target or kick to a situation where we can get 1v1's or at least insure we make a contest.

Part of me wants to see Moore come back and play a staring role up forward. However I prefer to see him inside our defensive 50 with Roughead.

Our backline has looked the most secure with both he and Roughy back there. Roughy roles into the ruck when Brodie needs a rest, Howe/Scharenberg pick up his man and Greenwood covers their initial player?

I think we need to play Mihocek as our sole KPF and back in the deadly combo of DeGoey, Stevo, Elliot, WHE and Varcoe/Thomas/maybe Mayne in a defensive forward role.

This means we need to be more clever going inside 50, lower the eyes and hit the leading target or kick to a situation where we can get 1v1's or at least insure we make a contest.
I like your thinking

No we were online to break a 100+ year old record for 1st quarters

The team isn't overrated, it's decimated

Maynard Dunn Scharenberg
Langdon Howe Roughead

Grundy Adams Crisp
Treloar Beams Wells

Mihocek Moore Stephenson
De Goey Cox Sidebottom

Elliott WHE Phillips Pendlebury

Wells is absolutely in our current best 22 (long term injuries notwithstanding) - he gave ample demonstration of that by keeping us in the Sydney game almost single-handedly, right up until he forgot how to go to ground in a tackle properly.

I'm unashamedly in the Wells camp and, while we're dealing in what-if's to some degree, a fit Wells for the past 12 weeks would likely have had us in a better position than we are now.

Last edited:
I’ve been a critic of Pendles this year, but I think this finals series he will put himself into the conversation to be an Hall of Famer .

I’m just vibing Pendles. He’s the exact player who can easily give us an extra 2-3 goals a game.

His last 3 games:

23 & 2 goals
24 & 1 goal
28 & 2 goals

I’m smelling a Norm Smith.

Nearly every side has looked the goods at one stage or another this year jmac, it really is wide open mate.

I’d say absolutely every side. GCS were flying at the start of the season and not defying the predictions. Carlton, North and St Kilda all round a new inspiration after sacking their coaches.

Nearly every side has looked the goods at one stage or another this year jmac, it really is wide open mate.
They are in form at the right time of the year. The West Coast game is massive.

They are in form at the right time of the year. The West Coast game is massive.

Actually brisbane are the in form team. They've won on the road while the tigers have set up camp at the MCG for two months. Tigers will be found out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back