Unofficial Preview Finals footy 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

If we win, and one of West Coast or Richmond lose, we finish top 4.

This is all the scenarios I think impact the final outcome for an elimination final.

We win, Dogs lose. We play Dogs.
We win, Dogs win. We play Bombers.
We lose, Dogs lose. We play Dogs.
We lose, Dogs win. We play Dogs.
We lose, Hawks win, Dogs lose. We play Hawks.
We win, Hawks win, we finish top 4.

The AFL face the embarrassing possibility that we will miss out on a rightful top 4 position purely because of the farcical nature of their goal review system.

They're happy to suspend players and talk about the integrity of the game being paramount when someone is found to have placed a bet on themselves or their team but what about the integrity of making sure the result of a game is the correct one.

Howe, Roughead, Maynard
Crisp, Schaz, Aish
Phillips, Pendles, Sidebottom
Elliot, Moore, Mihocek
Stephenson, De GOEY, WHE

Grundy, Treloar, Adams

Wills, Greenwood, Brown, Varcoe or Mayne.

Greenwood tags the best opp-mid.

Wills has to play. 22 tackles in 3 weeks. We need that grunt.

Brown has had a very good year.

Varcoe is all about the finals.

Mayne is the tricky one.

It would be between Mayne and Wills.
I’d choose Wills.

Finals are won in the midfields.

Howe, Roughead, Maynard
Crisp, Schaz, Aish
Phillips, Pendles, Sidebottom
Elliot, Moore, Mihocek
Stephenson, De GOEY, WHE

Grundy, Treloar, Adams

Wills, Greenwood, Brown, Varcoe or Mayne.

Greenwood tags the best opp-mid.

Wills has to play. 22 tackles in 3 weeks. We need that grunt.

Brown has had a very good year.

Varcoe is all about the finals.

Mayne is the tricky one.

It would be between Mayne and Wills.
I’d choose Wills.

Finals are won in the midfields.
Reckon Aish is 50 50 so you might not have a problem

At the end of the day if you don't get the double chance it might not be the end of the world. We still had to play every week of the finals last year and still nearly won it. Bulldogs did win it.

Thankfully there's the pre-finals bye!

I tend to think that with a few underdone players (hopefully) returning that a final against the Bummers could be exactly what we need rather than playing Brisbane up there or something. It could run them into some real form .......and if we lose it we don't deserve to progress.

If we win, and one of West Coast or Richmond lose, we finish top 4.

This is all the scenarios I think impact the final outcome for an elimination final.

We win, Dogs lose. We play Dogs.
We win, Dogs win. We play Bombers.
We lose, Dogs lose. We play Dogs.
We lose, Dogs win. We play Dogs.
We lose, Hawks win, Dogs lose. We play Hawks.
We win, Hawks win, we finish top 4.
Still possible for either of the Adelaide teams finish 8th provided the dogs lose and they can gain enough percentage. Likewise if the dogs lose and hawks win it will come down to % between 3 or 4 sides. Adelaide's destiny is partly in their own hands, they play WB and there's just 2.6% between them.

I'm thinking this will be the final eight.

Geelong
Brisbane
West Coast
Richmond
Collingwood
GWS
Western Bulldogs
Essendon.

Beat Essendon then my ideal road to the grand final would then work out as such....

Semi-final win against Geelong.

Preliminary final win against *Brisbane.

*Not convinced Brisbane can beat West Coast even at the Gabba. Next to no chance away should they slip to 3rd on percentage.

Thankfully the Hawks play a day before the Dogs, they will go into the game knowing they are still a chance at playing finals and maybe that can spur them on to a win.
If they had played the day after the Dogs and the Dogs had won then they would have had nothing to play for.

Not sure I explained that very well, but ultimately it's a brilliant piece of analysis on my behalf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL face the embarrassing possibility that we will miss out on a rightful top 4 position purely because of the farcical nature of their goal review system.

They're happy to suspend players and talk about the integrity of the game being paramount when someone is found to have placed a bet on themselves or their team but what about the integrity of making sure the result of a game is the correct one.
Thats a real ‘sore loser’ kind of attitude.

To suggest we lost a game purely because of a Goal Review mishap (in what the 2nd or 3rd Quarter?) is just false. The result of a game is decided by a culmination of moments throughout the whole 120 minutes. To state we lost purely due to a Goal review mistake is ignorant. Say it is called a goal, there is every chance we still lose. As the whole course of the game is changed. You literally do not know. Now if that mistake had happened on the siren, and it was called a goal when it wasn’t, then you could make a case for it. But thats not what happened.

You can blame anyone who kicked a behind in the game as much as the review system. And by that i mean - you can’t blame either & stop sooking.

What you should be doing, is lamenting the fact that we, as a team, let a game against a poor Freo side, at the MCG, be decided by less then a kick.

Round 22 team:
FB: Greenwood - Schaz - Howe
HB: Crisp - Madgen - Maynard
C: Phillips - Pendles - Sidey
HF: Thomas - Mihocek - WHE
FF: Elliott - Roughy - Varcoe
F: Grundy - Treloar - Adams
INT: Mayne - Brown - Wills - Noble

Placeholders/100% dropped: Madgen and Noble
Not locked/fighting for a spot: Schaz, Thomas, Varcoe, Mayne, Brown and Wills

Let's assume we get through round 23 unscathed and the 6 players listed below are available for the 1st week of finals, how will we line up?

Automatic inclusions: Moore, de Goey, Stevo
Potential inclusions: Aish, Wells, Sier

There's going to be some heartbreak...

I think there is also the chance that both Richmond and West Coast lose, which would see us as high as 3rd, and playing Geelong round one. Of course we'd have to win as well.

Wouldn't mind that match up since the Cats haven't been in great nick recently....and we'd get them on the MCG so it is as good as our home final.

I reckon both the Eagles and Tigers are going to be pretty stuffed after Sundays game. Going to be a huge ask for them to back up. Stranger things have happened.

Our likely path to the grand final folks:

EF: Win v Bombers at G
QF: Win v Cats at G
SF: Win v Lions at GABBA
GF: Win v Eagles at the G

Cup is ours!

We likely only have to travel once and its better than last years trip to Perth. If we end up playing the Lions then fingers crossed its a night game, otherwise the September heat will have too much of an impact.

Over to you Pies players! Get us our 16th please!

Reckon Moore plays this week, I'd give Wells and maybe DeGoey a run in the twos? Even if it's only half the game or a quarter and a half, both of these guys are players that can perform regardless of not playing at the highest level for a while.

Still think Moore plays in the backline with Roughy for mine, premierships are won on strong defenses and our backline is at it's strongest when they're both down there. Wells could be the difference, he's magic and I think he is built for the big stage, please can we have him healthy just for 3 or 4 games?

I think my ideal starting 22 for the finals is:

Maynard Roughead Scharenberg
Crisp Moore Howe

Grundy Wills Adams
Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom

Wells Mihocek Hoskin-Elliot
Stephenson DeGoey Elliot

Treloar Mayne Greenwood Madgen/Varcoe/Brown.

Almost not against Madgen getting a gig as a KPP. When Grundy needs a spell Roughead can role into the ruck and Madgen to the back line. If Moore needs to move forward then we can move Madgen into the role? If that's maybe too tall one of Varcoe or Cal get the nod for mine (Varcoe maybe slightly ahead of Cal due to experience and provides better I50 pressure). Aish another one that will push for that spot but I'm not too sure where he is at?

Reckon Moore plays this week, I'd give Wells and maybe DeGoey a run in the twos? Even if it's only half the game or a quarter and a half, both of these guys are players that can perform regardless of not playing at the highest level for a while.

Still think Moore plays in the backline with Roughy for mine, premierships are won on strong defenses and our backline is at it's strongest when they're both down there. Wells could be the difference, he's magic and I think he is built for the big stage, please can we have him healthy just for 3 or 4 games?

I think my ideal starting 22 for the finals is:

Maynard Roughead Scharenberg
Crisp Moore Howe

Grundy Wills Adams
Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom

Wells Mihocek Hoskin-Elliot
Stephenson DeGoey Elliot

Treloar Mayne Greenwood Madgen/Varcoe/Brown.

Almost not against Madgen getting a gig as a KPP. When Grundy needs a spell Roughead can role into the ruck and Madgen to the back line. If Moore needs to move forward then we can move Madgen into the role? If that's maybe too tall one of Varcoe or Cal get the nod for mine (Varcoe maybe slightly ahead of Cal due to experience and provides better I50 pressure). Aish another one that will push for that spot but I'm not too sure where he is at?
There won't be many changes to our line up, mainly due the resources available. Wells is not in good enough physical condition to play high pressured finals footy, huge risk not worth taking. We are off the best teams in the competition, unless our midfield picks up its rating. Our midfield have dropped to 12th in clearance differential which exposes our backs. Given the names we have and the plaudits we get externally, we are average in this space now.

I don’t want to play Port week 1.

They are the form team of the bottom 8 and probably have us covered for healthy talent.

They are the sort of team that could blow us away in 1 quarter with their high tempo crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We won’t be playing them now, thank North Melbourne

Richmond have won 7 in a row. They’ll drop one. They’d want to drop one otherwise a grand final win would be 12 in a row...
They’re going to lose to Brisbane this week.

Should win this week against Essendon, if Brisbane lose, we play Essendon, if dogs win

Heres my scenario for Finals for both Elimination and Qualifying

Week 1: Pies (108) def Essendon (83)
Week 2: Pies (82) def Richmond (80)
Week 3: Pies (89) def West Coast (87)
Granny: Pies (79) def Lions (73)

QF1: Pies (124) def lions (73)
PF1: Pies (65) def Geelong (62)
Granny: Pies (76) def WCE (52)

For this to be possible, no injuries and best footy has to go into play.

Thats a real ‘sore loser’ kind of attitude.

To suggest we lost a game purely because of a Goal Review mishap (in what the 2nd or 3rd Quarter?) is just false. The result of a game is decided by a culmination of moments throughout the whole 120 minutes. To state we lost purely due to a Goal review mistake is ignorant. Say it is called a goal, there is every chance we still lose. As the whole course of the game is changed. You literally do not know. Now if that mistake had happened on the siren, and it was called a goal when it wasn’t, then you could make a case for it. But thats not what happened.

You can blame anyone who kicked a behind in the game as much as the review system. And by that i mean - you can’t blame either & stop sooking.

What you should be doing, is lamenting the fact that we, as a team, let a game against a poor Freo side, at the MCG, be decided by less then a kick.
I see your point but at the end of the day the AFL's pathetic system and the trained monkeys running it cost us a goal.

How much did we lose by again?

Can you imagine any professional sporting body anywhere in the world allowing such a farcical chain of events to happen.

Imagine Manchester United losing the FA cup because the ref was watching the wrong vision???

For a long time now the AFL have been making rules on the run and bringing in new interpretations weekly.

Our game is run by a troupe of clowns.

I see your point but at the end of the day the AFL's pathetic system and the trained monkeys running it cost us a goal.

How much did we lose by again?

Can you imagine any professional sporting body anywhere in the world allowing such a farcical chain of events to happen.

Imagine Manchester United losing the FA cup because the ref was watching the wrong vision???

For a long time now the AFL have been making rules on the run and bringing in new interpretations weekly.

Our game is run by a troupe of clowns.
It isn’t as simple as we lost by less then a goal, an incorrect decisions was made by the review system that cost us a goal in the 3rd Quarter, therefor we should have won. Say the correct decision is made, and its a goal not a behind. There is still no way of saying we win that game. Especially considering how we played on the day.

I can actually imagine that. Actually you don’t need to - There is currently controversy in the Premier league about their very own VAR system and a decision that ruled out a stoppage time winner in Man city v Spurs. I seem to remember similar controversy last year in a Man city game.

Lets not get silly and act like a game v Freo is the same as the FA Cup.

Lets also not get silly and blame us as a club potentially missing finals on an incompetent decision from the AFL’s review system.

Thats just not how it is. We lost to Freo and have no one to blame but ourselves. We are the ones who played average football that resulted in the game being decided by less then a kick.

The AFL’s incompetence, and us (potentially) missing out on top 4 are two completely seperate issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back