Strategy Finals gone, what do you want to see?

Remove this Banner Ad

Play only 1 senior player at every centre bounce. Dawson plus 2 youngsters, Laird plus 2 youngsters. Bring in taller younger mids such as Dowling and Hately for those CBA's where Laird is the senior

Play only 1 senior player at every centre bounce. Dawson plus 2 youngsters, Laird plus 2 youngsters. Bring in taller younger mids such as Dowling and Hately for those CBA's where Laird is the senior
I don't even want to be that specific

Whonever we see as our 2024 midfield must get midfield minutes

My personal opinion that's Pedlar, Shoey and Soligo

Happy for anyone in the sanfl as well

Last edited:

Feel like Pedlar's really showing signs of exhaustion, he goes hard, but hasn't been clean with ball in hand for probably a month.

Maybe would rebound with a freshen up week, but TBH I'd not be against him having a run in the lower league as a pure mid for a few games. Then bring him back for the last 2-3 weeks. See if we can't use this 5 weeks to develop his midfield craft.

Feel like Pedlar's really showing signs of exhaustion, he goes hard, but hasn't been clean with ball in hand for probably a month.

Maybe would rebound with a freshen up week, but TBH I'd not be against him having a run in the lower league as a pure mid for a few games. Then bring him back for the last 2-3 weeks. See if we can't use this 5 weeks to develop his midfield craft.
I agree that he has been puffing and doing some fumbling recently. However, watching the replay, even in the last quarter, his desperate efforts were often the first act in getting us back the balls which led to our goals. All in and under stuff.

The development of our midfield is a priority - that goes without saying - but I think we could put in some creative planning for our future defence. I think that there is a group of players there that can grow into an elite combination if managed properly. So lets see what Borlase and Keane have got, lets work on patterns that get the ball to our best deliverers. Lets make sure we have that lock down guy. Lets practice that team defence that Melbourne do so well etc etc

I agree that he has been puffing and doing some fumbling recently. However, watching the replay, even in the last quarter, his desperate efforts were often the first act in getting us back the balls which led to our goals. All in and under stuff.
I just want to see him finish off the season strongly. His SANFL finals campaign last year was epic.

Feel like he just needs a bit if management to get more out of him.

Nicks sacked and next year keays delisted. Get mediocrity out of this club.
Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. Nicks inherited a pretty bad list and he has steered us through this rebuild. I feel the next two years are the important ones. No Tex, Sloane, and probably Smith. As for Keays, he’s an interesting one. Sometimes he stars, but others he does silly things.
Now finals are out of contention, I’d like to just keep giving experience to some of our young fringe players.

Would take a miracle for us to make the finals, wins over a Port and Brisbane are a must. Given it’s highly unlikely what do you want to see with the remaining season?
Honestly it isn't true that we need to beat Port and Brisbane to make finals, we only need to beat one of them. And I don't mean in a 'fringe mathematical chance sense', I mean we are pretty likely to make finals if we go 4-1 from here. If you run a ladder predictor with all favourites winning and Adelaide winning the Showdown and losing to Brisbane or vice-versa we are odds-on to finish 8th in either scenario if we also beat Gold Coast, Sydney and West Coast. If we win both we probably finish 7th.

I think we will approach the Showdown as a must-win elimination final type game, but if we lose in the Showdown and then beat Gold Coast we will likely approach Brisbane the same way. I'm fine with that approach.

Beyond that, I'd like to see Pedlar get a rest, Soligo and Rachele back in the team at some stage, and maybe Fogarty getting a rest for Gollant. Pretty happy with how we approached the Melbourne game but in the event that we lost both the Showdown and the Brisbane game I'd be happy with throwing Berry back in for a couple of games as an inside mid and see how he goes even if we think Crouch is a better option, since he will be back on our list for next year. I think Keane will inevitably get a go and I'm happy with that too.

It would be exciting to see Dowling get a chance, he's probably the only guy on the list who is fit and hasn't debuted who I think might warrant a go. That could be a round 22/23 special or something if finals are off the table.

Honestly it isn't true that we need to beat Port and Brisbane to make finals, we only need to beat one of them. And I don't mean in a 'fringe mathematical chance sense', I mean we are pretty likely to make finals if we go 4-1 from here. If you run a ladder predictor with all favourites winning and Adelaide winning the Showdown and losing to Brisbane or vice-versa we are odds-on to finish 8th in either scenario if we also beat Gold Coast, Sydney and West Coast. If we win both we probably finish 7th.

I think we will approach the Showdown as a must-win elimination final type game, but if we lose in the Showdown and then beat Gold Coast we will likely approach Brisbane the same way. I'm fine with that approach.

Beyond that, I'd like to see Pedlar get a rest, Soligo and Rachele back in the team at some stage, and maybe Fogarty getting a rest for Gollant. Pretty happy with how we approached the Melbourne game but in the event that we lost both the Showdown and the Brisbane game I'd be happy with throwing Berry back in for a couple of games as an inside mid and see how he goes even if we think Crouch is a better option, since he will be back on our list for next year. I think Keane will inevitably get a go and I'm happy with that too.

It would be exciting to see Dowling get a chance, he's probably the only guy on the list who is fit and hasn't debuted who I think might warrant a go. That could be a round 22/23 special or something if finals are off the table.
We’d need every result to go our way and in reality that isn’t going to happen.

But I want us to plan to win the Showdown, it does give us hope and belief, but also *s the ferals. The issue is will Nicks give us the best chance of winning? Ie, playing Sloane hurts us. I’d rather Crouch than Sloane. Will he keep in Schoenberg? How’s he going to plug the Murray hole? Better not be Worrell and Dawson going back. Playing McHenry and Murray as small forwards would be pointless, play Newchurch. He could actually turn it on and gives us speed up forward, plus he knows how to kick a goal.

But I want us to plan to win the Showdown, it does give us hope and belief, but also *s the ferals. The issue is will Nicks give us the best chance of winning? Ie, playing Sloane hurts us. I’d rather Crouch than Sloane. Will he keep in Schoenberg? How’s he going to plug the Murray hole? Better not be Worrell and Dawson going back. Playing McHenry and Murray as small forwards would be pointless, play Newchurch. He could actually turn it on and gives us speed up forward, plus he knows how to kick a goal.
This!

I've mentioned it a lot lately, but i'm not even concerned about his perceived lack of defensive pressure. I just want to see what his raw pace and goalsense translates to in the AFL team. If nothing more then to shake up the opposition defenders.

Just play him. If to do nothing more then to show our recruiters/selection committee what a top echelon speed guy can do in an AFL forward line.

Despite the prevailing views on here and a costly fumble, Sloane was pretty good on the weekend. Had a good first quarter and they threw him back when we were missing Butts and Murray late in the game and he was good there too. That flexibility is obviously a big reason why the coaching staff like him, and he's going to play out the year. The inconsistency is a problem as he's had some pretty poor games but the club has clearly shown its hand on that front.

To me among the players who didn't play last week the players of actual interest are: Gollant, Dowling, Soligo, Keane, Parnell, McHenry and Berry. Plus Taylor but he's injured. Those should be the players we are thinking about playing the rest of the year, either because they make the first team better or because we just want to give them a shot (Gollant being the main one there for me).

Everyone else (Himmelberg, Sholl, Hately, Hamill, Newchurch, Borlase, Brown, Strachan, Bond... not sure if I'm forgetting anyone else) I'd be happy to see left in the SANFL to focus on giving games to the players who are actually going to be part of the first team in 2024. Do we seriously think Newchurch is playing next year when Rankine is fit? Just not seeing it. The only reason I'd be interested in seeing Newchurch selected is if it was a genuine concern for this week while we don't have Rachele or Rankine that we need more small forward options. Once Rachele is back, have him play that role, and pick the above listed guys instead.

I honestly have no idea if plugging the Murray hole with Worrell, Butts and smaller guys is better than bringing in Keane, but my guess is they pick Keane. Happy for it to be a opposition-based decision too, as having Worrell take a KPD role is good test for him and allows more opportunities for the likes of Parnell and Nankervis, but would also potentially leave us exposed against some forward lines. Worked fine against St. Kilda but not against Richmond, for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I want to see:
A focus on goal kicking starting now and prioritised through preseason.
Playing in form youth.
Sloane to retire and be given a good send off round 23.
The club to not play injured or fatigued players. Injuries occur when players have not been rested. A commentator stated that we look very fatigued from 2 weeks ago. I wonder why when we have a coach that picks the same 23 players barring injuries. Thats on Nick's and the selection committee. Some of us have said all year he was running them into the ground. Due to Nicks incompetence and prioritising his own contract we have missed finals and are copping injuries.
I would like to see Nick's moved on but that won't happen for 12 months.
I would like to see Ogilvie nail a top 5 pick for an elite mid.

Last edited:
Despite the prevailing views on here and a costly fumble, Sloane was pretty good on the weekend. Had a good first quarter and they threw him back when we were missing Butts and Murray late in the game and he was good there too. That flexibility is obviously a big reason why the coaching staff like him, and he's going to play out the year. The inconsistency is a problem as he's had some pretty poor games but the club has clearly shown its hand on that front.

To me among the players who didn't play last week the players of actual interest are: Gollant, Dowling, Soligo, Keane, Parnell, McHenry and Berry. Plus Taylor but he's injured. Those should be the players we are thinking about playing the rest of the year, either because they make the first team better or because we just want to give them a shot (Gollant being the main one there for me).

Everyone else (Himmelberg, Sholl, Hately, Hamill, Newchurch, Borlase, Brown, Strachan, Bond... not sure if I'm forgetting anyone else) I'd be happy to see left in the SANFL to focus on giving games to the players who are actually going to be part of the first team in 2024. Do we seriously think Newchurch is playing next year when Rankine is fit? Just not seeing it. The only reason I'd be interested in seeing Newchurch selected is if it was a genuine concern for this week while we don't have Rachele or Rankine that we need more small forward options. Once Rachele is back, have him play that role, and pick the above listed guys instead.

I honestly have no idea if plugging the Murray hole with Worrell, Butts and smaller guys is better than bringing in Keane, but my guess is they pick Keane. Happy for it to be a opposition-based decision too, as having Worrell take a KPD role is good test for him and allows more opportunities for the likes of Parnell and Nankervis, but would also potentially leave us exposed against some forward lines. Worked fine against St. Kilda but not against Richmond, for example.
“To me among the players who didn't play last week the players of actual interest are: Gollant, Dowling, Soligo, Keane, Parnell, McHenry and Berry.”

Parnell has been hot garbage in the sanfl ever since his concussion.. turns the ball over constantly.

You say you need to see more of McHenry?.. Why?.. this along makes a mockery of your comment..
i’ve seen more than enough of Ned thanks. He’s really is a pretty ordinary player.

Berry shouldve come in for Laird instead of Crouch. But we all know with the club’s “must have a quota of senior players in every 22” agenda that that wasnt gonna happen.. so wont happen this week either.. and you cannot play Laird and Crouch or Laird and Berry in the same 22..

Gollant only comes in for McAdam or maybe Fog…
But dropping Fog would be dumb and McAdam played bloody good against the Dees and he provides a real dynamic point of difference in our forward line.

Not wanting to at least give Newchurch, borlase or Bond a go is just strange thinking.. we literally have nothing to lose in doing so.

I would like the club to live in the real world. Which includes being able to count and realising that finals are very possible.
what has counting got to do with it?

Its not as easy as “we’re 2 wins out of the 8 and have 5 games left”…

Look at who we have to play in those remaining games.. and look at who the teams just inside and just outside the 8 above us have to play.

Simply saying “club needs to count and see its still possible” is delusional.

And even then.. if we did, by a miracle, manage to make the 8 then we’d only end up being shitcanned in the first week of finals anyway..

It would be a thousand times more beneifical longterm to put the “finals chance” BS behind us and start playing some of our other players to see what we’ve got to work with, and what we need to discard, for next year..

Its what we shouldve done last year too. So we’re already one fxxkn year behind.. and some seem determined to want to make it two years.

Its so dumb its ridiculous.

I would like the club to live in the real world. Which includes being able to count and realising that finals are very possible.
I would like the club to actually understand that our list is bigger than 23 players. The reason we will miss finals is due to fatigue and Nicks having no bloody faith in our list. Missing finals is directly on him. His strategy of exhaustung his best 23 week in and week out has failed.

I'd like the club to live in the real world. Which means realising that even though they can mathematically make finals, doing so is not important and instead focusing on developing the side for a future genuine flag tilt

what has counting got to do with it?

Its not as easy as “we’re 2 wins out of the 8 and have 5 games left”…

Look at who we have to play in those remaining games.. and look at who the teams just inside and just outside the 8 above us have to play.

Simply saying “club needs to count and see its still possible” is delusional.

And even then.. if we did, by a miracle, manage to make the 8 then we’d only end up being shitcanned in the first week of finals anyway..

It would be a thousand times more beneifical longterm to put the “finals chance” BS behind us and start playing some of our other players to see what we’ve got to work with, and what we need to discard, for next year..

Its what we shouldve done last year too. So we’re already one fxxkn year behind.. and some seem determined to want to make it two years.

Its so dumb its ridiculous.
I don't expect Adelaide to make the finals or even really get close. I do expect them to understand they were once in the position to do so though.

You see the club putting short-term 'success' ahead of long term goals.

I see the club ending on a long streak of terrible form and then writing it off as 'well we weren't really trying anyway', then going into next year with delusions of adequacy.

I would like the club to actually understand that our list is bigger than 23 players. The reason we will miss finals is due to fatigue and Nicks having no bloody faith in our list. Missing finals is directly on him. His strategy of exhaustung his best 23 week in and week out has failed.
Well we should see improvement then as changes are forced.

I’d like to see Rob on the wing. Big man, ball under arm, steaming down the wing Lomu style with 3 or 4 opposition midfielders hanging off him. We need to keep in mind that Rob came close to breaking the 20 metre sprint back at the combine so we shouldn’t limit him to ruck.

“To me among the players who didn't play last week the players of actual interest are: Gollant, Dowling, Soligo, Keane, Parnell, McHenry and Berry.”

Parnell has been hot garbage in the sanfl ever since his concussion.. turns the ball over constantly.

You say you need to see more of McHenry?.. Why?.. this along makes a mockery of your comment..
i’ve seen more than enough of Ned thanks. He’s really is a pretty ordinary player.

Berry shouldve come in for Laird instead of Crouch. But we all know with the club’s “must have a quota of senior players in every 22” agenda that that wasnt gonna happen.. so wont happen this week either.. and you cannot play Laird and Crouch or Laird and Berry in the same 22..

Gollant only comes in for McAdam or maybe Fog…
But dropping Fog would be dumb and McAdam played bloody good against the Dees and he provides a real dynamic point of difference in our forward line.

Not wanting to at least give Newchurch, borlase or Bond a go is just strange thinking.. we literally have nothing to lose in doing so.
You'll note I never said I 'need to see more of McHenry'. I said he's a player of interest - ie someone who should be considered for selection based on who else is available and playing well. He's a decent player on the fringe of the 22, only 23 years old and has played well at times this year and poorly at others. Should definitely be in the mix.

Who I 'need to see more of' is not really a relevant selection criteria in my view. The club sees these players every week at training, in the SANFL and in some cases in the senior team. The question should be who is good enough to be an AFL player. I don't subscribe to the view that you couldn't possibly know until you give everyone a block of games at AFL level. Selecting people just because fans want to see them is pointless. Newchurch for instance would be a defensible selection option this week because we don't have Rankine or Rachele. If he doesn't get selected this week I don't see the need to select him just because when he won't be part of our team next year. I certainly don't see him as a star AFL player who has just been denied opportunities for no reason.

As far as having nothing to lose is concerned, well I strongly disagree. We have games of football to lose, a potential place in the finals, careers, fan interest and engagement, lots of things which matter to the club. Once finals are off the table, which won't be for another 2-3 weeks at the earliest, I think it's fine to start experimenting for the sake of it.

I’d like to see Rob on the wing. Big man, ball under arm, steaming down the wing Lomu style with 3 or 4 opposition midfielders hanging off him. We need to keep in mind that Rob came close to breaking the 20 metre sprint back at the combine so we shouldn’t limit him to ruck.

How close to breaking the 20 meter sprint are we talking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back