Finals + Granny?

Remove this Banner Ad

The way it is now with Vic and SA coming out of lockdown, it gives them a chance to ease back crowd numbers going into finals, so in essence this lockdown was good timing. Any lock downs from now in any state and you'd think they won't host a final week 1 or 2.

Going by the current trend
Vic have 2 week lockdown + 2 weeks with no crowds + 2 weeks with 25k. So that timeline will be over once finals come around
WA have had no crowds in lockdown and have had 30k for about 2 weeks after that
We'll find out what the roadmap is for SA with crowds returning

But what we know is these timelines take at least a month to get substantial crowds back. So any state that has a lockdown from now on, you could rule them out for hosting early weeks of finals.

My guess for the GF threshold would be somewhere around 50k

If in four weeks time the state government are stopping crowds going to the MCG, it a no brainer to do it in Perth, assuming they are able to have full crowds at the time. The bye before finals allows players to spend whatever time they need in quarantine before running resto of finals series there.
Four weeks is a long time so chances are crowds should be allowed t MCG but maybe only 50 to 85 percent for finals.
Yep, I reckon that’s the plan, start off week 1 at 50k & aim for 85k come GF day, with the 15k sliced out of the corporate seating...

Yep, I reckon that’s the plan, start off week 1 at 50k & aim for 85k come GF day, with the 15k sliced out of the corporate seating...

The odds of the AFL turning its back on the corporate dollar in this environment are about as slim as 85,000 attending the MCG in 59 days.

On the plus side, I hear Sportsbet is offering a healthy Same Game Multi on it.

It will be a brave government I do not even think Andrews would have the balls to stop the GF at the G if we have no community from the last week in July to the end of September. Another community case and a lockdown then we are stuffed and it could go to WA who would ban crowds 2 hours before a game if they get one case without blinking an eye.

Well if it costs between $35 and $68 to go to an Eagles game I would hate to think what you would get hit to go to finals game!

The AFL will want a guarantee from whichever jurisdiction is gonna host the GF that crowds will be allowed, in some form. I think everyone realises 100k at the 'G is not in the conversation, but the AFL would haemorrhage if it's 0.

No way Andrews will give that guarantee, doubt WA will either. QLD maybe, SA probably not.

The AFL wants 8 weeks of certainty but the world we live in can't give 8 hours at the moment.

There are strong rumours over here that the Joondalup Rest has been tentatively booked by an unknown source for August and September

Finals to be played at Mars sponsored by Bezos. I would love to see center bounce by razor over in Mars. kick to advantage won't exist either. lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals to be played at Mars sponsored by Bezos. I would love to see center bounce by razor over in Mars. kick to advantage won't exist either. lol
For a second I thought you were talking about Mars Stadium in Ballarat

Well if it costs between $35 and $68 to go to an Eagles game I would hate to think what you would get hit to go to finals game!

Would be interesting if there are 4 games in Perth week 1 what they charge. Surely couldn't have normal finals prices for all 4 games or the 2 worst games could have shocking crowds.

The non Eagles games last year were at Melbourne prices. Also, pretty sure afl sets the price for finals as they get all the revenue.

The AFL wants 8 weeks of certainty but the world we live in can't give 8 hours at the moment.

I know a state with """""gold standard contact tracing"""" that is set to crush their trifling little outbreak in a matter of weeks, with near certainty to return to full stadium capacity before finals...

1627446793106.png

You’d think WA, biggest concern will be 8 games in the first three weeks… hopefully the surface holds up.

Tassie actually probably makes the most sense, but it’ll never happen.

We’ve had nearly the wettest July on record here in Perth and only need another 25mm to break it and the forecast the next 3 days is showers, thunderstorms, thunderstorms. So how has the ground performed this month? IMO it’s shown some wear and tear and water ponding at the train station end (left of screen) but generally it’s been pretty good. Having 8 games in 3 weeks will really test any surface. If it stays dry around that time it will be ok but more rain and it will look knackered….

I don't think any state can offer a 100% guaranteed crowd at this stage. The AFL need to keep an open mind about where finals can be played and ready to change tack at the last minute, and not worry about whether the afl dignitaries or corporates can attend.

We’ve had nearly the wettest July on record here in Perth and only need another 25mm to break it and the forecast the next 3 days is showers, thunderstorms, thunderstorms. So how has the ground performed this month? IMO it’s shown some wear and tear and water ponding at the train station end (left of screen) but generally it’s been pretty good. Having 8 games in 3 weeks will really test any surface. If it stays dry around that time it will be ok but more rain and it will look knackered….

It’s not actually even 3 weeks. It’d be Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun then Fri/Sat then Fri/Sat. It’s 8 games in 17 days… then a week to recover for a grand final.

Very tough on one ground given an A+ surface is expected for all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back