Finals + Granny?

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Where is it gonna be?

IMO only way its workable is to have it in one location.

Given the situation if a city is locked down/crowdless all of a sudden then it is easier to coordinate moving teams en masse than what is happening now. Especially given 2 teams a week get knocked out so say you play the finals in WA they s**t themselves and shutdown after week 1 = move all teams to SA/Tas/Vic and keep the show rolling (with crowds).

My tip = WA. Everyone does the 7 days (with exemptions) and then play. They are most amenable to live life as normal provided the "filth" is kept out". AFL will compromise.
Back up = Tas.

SA = Won't give exemptions.
Vic= Can't be trusted to stay open
NSW = Too far gone
Qld = Maybe. But they seem to change their mind by the hour.
NT= Darkhouse. Low crowds but better than none.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Where is it gonna be?

Given the situation if a city is locked down/crowdless all of a sudden then it is easier to coordinate moving teams en masse than what is happening now. Especially given 2 teams a week get knocked out so say you play the finals in WA they sh*t themselves and shutdown after week 1 = move all teams to SA/Tas/Vic and keep the show rolling (with crowds).

My tip = WA. Everyone does the 7 days (with exemptions) and then play. They are most amenable to live life as normal provided the "filth" is kept out". AFL will compromise.
Back up = Tas.

NSW = Too far gone
Queensland had massive trouble keeping teams honest can see why this season they aren’t bending over backwards to accommodate teams when teams broke the rules last year

TigerTrain23

Senior List
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm pretty sure the AFL will move everyone to Perth for weeks 1-3, but the teams will move back to Melbourne for the Grand Final if they can host over 60k.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
If in four weeks time the state government are stopping crowds going to the MCG, it a no brainer to do it in Perth, assuming they are able to have full crowds at the time. The bye before finals allows players to spend whatever time they need in quarantine before running resto of finals series there.
Four weeks is a long time so chances are crowds should be allowed t MCG but maybe only 50 to 85 percent for finals.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
It's Melbourne or Perth. If Melbourne can stay virus free and beat the covid numbers down to zero then I can't see why crowds would not be allowed and the GF is at the 'G. If that doesn't happen... then Perth.

Have to remember we still have four weeks of the season, plus the finals bye. I think a decision can be made then.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure why all finals have be played in 1 state unless Victoria goes into Covid lockdown again if you earn a home final you should get to play one say Brisbane/Port finish 4th beat Geelong in round 1 they would stuck in Melbourne for a whole month last year was different because most states had the Covid outbreak

Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
How can they have it Perth when McGowan has called a lock down twice on game day with no notice?

Imagine the embarrassment if that happened on GF day?

If Victoria is COVID free in August and September then most of the finals will surely be in Melbourne. Why wouldn't they be?

PerthblueGold

Debutant
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I would say it would have to be real desperation stakes for the AFL to move finals/GF to Perth...very unlikely...

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I suspect by the time finals comes around only NSW will still be closed off.

Swans will play home finals @ MCG or maybe a one off @ GMHBA (elim final vs Eagles). Everyone else will still be able to play home finals in their own states.
This will be the plan I reckon. If teams have to go into quarantine so be it.

Grand final will probably have a contingency in place though.

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
How can they have it Perth when McGowan has called a lock down twice on game day with no notice?

Imagine the embarrassment if that happened on GF day?

If Victoria is COVID free in August and September then most of the finals will surely be in Melbourne. Why wouldn't they be?

LOL he's not going to have a snap lockdown if WA is hosting a Grand Final. Those snap lockdows are all theatre to show he's tough on the virus. People lap it up apparently.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
how good is the surface at optus? 4 games in 4 days week one of finals would be pushing it surely

Silver lining: all that play may finally soften up the frigging surface.

Pessimist: Grand Finalists limp into the big game with half the respective sides carrying leg injuries.

Jezzaubeautym8

Senior List
Jul 8, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
After the MCG the next home of footy is Kardinia Park. The original clubs are Melbourne and Geelong finals should be played in Geelong if they can't be played in Melbourne. Perfect year for it too with the smaller crowds

Last edited:

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Where is it gonna be?

Given the situation if a city is locked down/crowdless all of a sudden then it is easier to coordinate moving teams en masse than what is happening now. Especially given 2 teams a week get knocked out so say you play the finals in WA they sh*t themselves and shutdown after week 1 = move all teams to SA/Tas/Vic and keep the show rolling (with crowds).

Back up = Tas.

NSW = Too far gone
How can you keep the filth out of WA when they were all born there?

Back