Son of Superboot

Boot studder
Sep 7, 2021
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Raith Rovers FC
A what-if scenario for you all to ponder. The AFL introduces a Finals Player Wildcard system, where each team in the top 8 is allowed to pick one player from a team who finished between 9-18. They may only select one, and the selection order is reverse, so eighth place picks first, seventh picks second and so on and so on with first place picking last.

Who would you pick for the Lions? You must consider they have pick seven, so these players have already been selected - the Bont, Libba, Serong, Dawson, Sicily, + Larkey. Also, who from the current Lions team misses out?

For me, I'm taking LDU, and unfortunately Dev misses

Noah Anderson for Fletcher.

I would have taken Sicily for Lester just for the laughs.
So I will say Jeremy Cameron for Fletcher.
And AhChee moves more to the wing.

Tom Stewart is the easiest pick imaginable. Froggy misses out. My other thought was Luke Jackson but I don't really care about rucks.

He was my next choice

Realistically I think the order of players would be something like this with a greater focus on my assessment of team needs need:

1. Sydney - Bont to cover up their contested ball weaknesses

2. GWS - Jeremy Cameron, replaces riccardi

3. St Kilda - Jordan Dawson (they have a lot of slower mids who aren't great at kicking)

4. Carlton - Controversial pick but for a finals series I'd say Dusty. Had a good year, just not great compared to his usual standards. Would add half-forward class.

5. Dees - Taylor Walker. Kicks straight, would be funny having him be a team mate to Lever again

6. Port - somewhat incredibly, there are no genuinely tall (195cm plus) key defenders in the bottom 10 teams that are worth picking here. Either Sicily, stewart or Luke Jackson

7. Us - Sicily or Stewart

8. Collingwood - Serong to shore up contested ball. A big forward is the other consideration and I'd lean Hawkins over Larkey.

I don't see anyone really being interested in bringing in Larkey compared with other players, reason being that he kicked 71 goals because he was far and away the most targeted north melbourne player. Would he be as effective as a second fiddle in a team that has a more sophisticated attacking method compared to north? He'd still be very good, but wouldn't offer as much value compared with other players.

1. Sydney - Jordan Dawson
  2. GWS - Jeremy Cameron
  3. St Kilda - Nick Hind
  4. Carlton - Adam Saad
  5. Demons - Sam Weideman
  6. Port - Chad Wingard
  7. Lions - Elliott Yeo
  8. Collingwood - Brodie Grundy
Melbourne loses out because most of their players matching the theme have ended up at GWS.

1. Sydney - Jordan Dawson
  2. GWS - Jeremy Cameron
  3. St Kilda - Nick Hind
  4. Carlton - Adam Saad
  5. Demons - Sam Weideman
  6. Port - Chad Wingard
  7. Lions - Elliott Yeo
  8. Collingwood - Brodie Grundy
Melbourne loses out because most of their players matching the theme have ended up at GWS.
Out- Elliott Yeo.

In- Ben Keays.

:p

Out- Elliott Yeo.

In- Ben Keays.

:p
If I only need one game, I'd still go Yeo.

If I needed two, I'd go Keays.

I'm only taking them for the Grand Final in my world. ;)

Ideally I would have taken a mid but nothing much interests me at pick 7. So probably Tom Stewart for Lester.

Sydney with Bont would be quite the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back