Discussion Finals Series 2017: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's get this thing underway! Like every year, we'll have one thread for all of the finals series as there are 9 games just like a standard round.

Finals Week 1 fixture:
  • Adelaide vs GWS
  • Geelong vs Richmond
  • Port Adelaide vs West Coast
  • Sydney vs Essendon
As for what I think will happen:
Adelaide vs GWS – these teams always wear white away to each other; can't see that changing.
adelaide_home_zpsd2168af3.png
zaacxld.png

Geelong vs Richmond – status quo. Cats in all white, Tiges in all black.
geelong_away_zps1d4ae373.png
T0jtYkr.png

Port Adelaide vs West Coast – would assume Port in all black, WCE in royal with white shorts. But for contrast would prefer the Eagles in the peril.
j2UEZ4J.png
kk3dLGA.png

Sydney vs Essendon – Swans in all red vs Dons in all black, but I'd love to have the Swans in white shorts for contrast (even though it'll never happen)
JYIzUQa.png
Az0yUQE.png

What are your predictions? Feel free to post graphics in this thread.

Let's get this thing underway! Like every year, we'll have one thread for all of the finals series as there are 9 games just like a standard round.

Finals Week 1 fixture:
  • Adelaide vs GWS
  • Geelong vs Richmond
  • Port Adelaide vs West Coast
  • Sydney vs Essendon
As for what I think will happen:
Adelaide vs GWS – these teams always wear white away to each other; can't see that changing.
adelaide_home_zpsd2168af3.png
zaacxld.png

Geelong vs Richmond – status quo. Cats in all white, Tiges in all black.
geelong_away_zps1d4ae373.png
T0jtYkr.png

Port Adelaide vs West Coast – would assume Port in all black, WCE in royal with white shorts. But for contrast would prefer the Eagles in the peril.
j2UEZ4J.png
kk3dLGA.png

Sydney vs Essendon – Swans in all red vs Dons in all black, but I'd love to have the Swans in white shorts for contrast (even though it'll never happen)
JYIzUQa.png
Az0yUQE.png

What are your predictions? Feel free to post graphics in this thread.
I feel we're a real chance to be pushed into the peril for the best visual match up, but otherwise on the money for me.

Reckon Giants home with white shorts

Without being flippant, these 'new' clubs don't really have any more attraction to their home jumper than they would a clash jumper. If the AFL were to go down the route of a team wearing a home jumper under the ruling of tradition then I doubt it'd be for GWS.

Without being flippant, these 'new' clubs don't really have any more attraction to their home jumper than they would a clash jumper. If the AFL were to go down the route of a team wearing a home jumper under the ruling of tradition then I doubt it'd be for GWS.
they could possibly do it for the Grand Final but not for a first week final

If royal wings have been deemed fine in the past against port then I think the AFL should seriously put west coast in yellow wings in royal shorts since both colours don't clash with black.

Similarly how melbournes navy doesn't clash with Collingwood black Geelong should be in navy shorts and Richmond in black...okay that last one I wouldn't like from a contrast point of view but I want something to show we are the designated home side since we are playing away in Melbourne. Damn MCG, the seating rake is terrible, too far away from the action with those ridiculous wings, horrendous food and an extra hour of travel from Ballarat for me, soulless ground.

Back to west coast, I actually think a yellow wings with blue shorts is a realistic shot for peak aesthetics.

Geelong should be in navy shorts and Richmond in black...okay that last one I wouldn't like from a contrast point of view but I want something to show we are the designated home side since we are playing away in Melbourne.

Omg! Do you work for North Melbourne FC by any chance?

And I'm dumbfounded as to how you can call the G "soulless"! It's anything but

I've worked at the MCG for a number of years and know the ground inside and out. and while it is big, it's not exactly that great for 95% of the games played there. Unless 80k rock up it's a desolate wasteland in a bland stadium.

Granted there will be 90k for the qualifying final, I just cannot love the ground like I can Kardinia Park. I still believe Adelaide Oval both before and after the redevelopment is the best stadium in the country for atmosphere, aesthetics, location, history. It ticks every box the MCG could only dream of.

A Geelong fan would see it as soulless as they have their own stadium that they don't share and gives them their own atmosphere. I do agree that it does look s**t when 40k turn up for a game, especially the AFL Members section, almost always empty at the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue is more from the front. Look, compared to the farce that is a GWS v Sydney game, this is acceptable. However, I doubt the AFL will let this occur when it really isn't needed.

View attachment 408997
Even from the front I rekon its still fine, white shorts helps. More passable than not for me, wouldn't mind GWS wearing their home on the big stage

No chance of Port in home with white shorts and West Coast in full royal?
White shorts in finals games are often worn by whichever team has more white on their jumper.

No chance of Port in home with white shorts and West Coast in full royal?
White shorts in finals games are often worn by whichever team has more white on their jumper.

I hope not.

Bit needless, really.

It's not going to help a Big Victorian club stay in a home jumper so it's not going to happen.

Does anyone else think Thursday night finals stuff up a previously decent arrangement? I know it didn't always work due to scheduling conflicts etc but the years they played 2QF Friday night, 2 EF Sat arvo, 1QF Sat night and 1EF Sunday arvo they made it so both losing QF teams got a 7-day break into the SF and both winning EF teams got a 6-day (with the 2SF on Friday and the 1SF on Sat). Then play the 1PF on Friday (7-day break for the 2SF winner) and 2PF on Saturday (again 7-day break) and the only time teams would come into a match on a different break apart from after Round 23 was the EF winners as opposed to the QF losers, the QF winners (but with a week off so minor) and the GF teams (but the 1QF winner is either the team who finished top or the team who beat them).

With this year's finals, the Crows/Giants will go into the SF on a 8-day break and play the Power/Eagles on a 6-day break, and the Cats/Tigers will go into the SF on an 8-day break and play the Swans/Bombers on a 7-day break. It just seems they had the potential for a good system if they locked in when each final was to be played and were prepared to mess with it because they think Thursday night is better than Sunday afternoon.

Honestly, the best visual matchup in PA vs WCE would be Port in white shorts vs WCE in full royal. Heck, let's bring out the Prison Bars in white shorts.....

Personally I'd prefer for us to be in white shorts and WCE in full royal. WCE wearing white shorts with royal, while not clash causing, just adds unnecessary white to their kit, whilst ours has a white panel on the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back