Discussion Finals Series 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just did the same. Called up - 100% confirmed GWS in white. Far out
As a brand new ‘franchise’, club, how come they couldn’t come up with a home jumper that clashed with nearly no-one, then have a clash jumper that isn’t white? Not hard. Orange, fine. Charcoal, too close to black. There are a lot of potential colours.
Having a big patch of white doesn’t help. The jumper from the front is a real ‘tri-colour’, different pattern to the Saints and Crows but still a tri-colour. Unlike the Bulldogs who wear three colours but are essentially a blue guernsey. Surely their jumper designers asked these questions “what if we play Richmond in a GF what do we wear? What about Hawthorn? Etc. in their consulting work 8 years or so ago?

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Doesn't clash -

Clashes -

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Curious, has GF ever featured Blades jumpers previously?

Not in the AFL but the Wests Tigers and Cronulla Sharks have played in the 2005 and 2016 NRL Grand Finals respectively with XBlades as their kit providers

Playing devil's advocate for a minute, is it possible the terrible Cats/Collingwood matchup caused an over-correction so that GWS is now in their white jumper?

Seems that way going by the AFL's past record of overreacting to things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right move imo.

As an aside, wonder if GWS should go orange shorts permanently as their home kit. It would seem to make sense I think, given orange is the predominant colour on the jumper.

Then perhaps all charcoal away, with an orange G and numbers.
Agreed, the amount of charcoal on their home doesn't make for a true clash against Richmond (or Collingwood etc) but it does look messy. Certainly not as clean as it's apparently going to look tomorrow, that's what modern broadcasting is all about.

If orange was as important to their branding as most on here seem to think, the Giants might want to think about making the front of their jumper... predominantly orange too, just maybe?

All that said, I'm surprised by the decision, and still not fully believing until I see it with my own eyes.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
So have GWS always had a solid orange back for their home jumper?? Surely a grey back with maybe the orange at the top like Melbourne or Brisbane have, would look better as a whole with the grey shorts?? It’s messy from the back with the solid orange back. Grey back with orange numbers would work. Or even have the clash design as solid grey with the orange G, and then the current clash as the away.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
I doubt the AFL consider there to be a clash in guernseys.

They’re definitely going for maximum contrast considering the nature of the event as a showcase to the rest of the world. And with Giants far less likely to kick up a fuss (which Carlton/Collingwood have most notably done in recent-ish times), now’s a good time to set a Grand Final precedent.

Though not needed, requesting the Giants wear white is a professional decision by the AFL. With broadcast-derived revenue on an exponential rise, and our great game reaching an increasingly global audience, presentation has to be prioritised in all H&A / Finals matches.

So if having a competing GF side rock a table cloth tomorrow visually optimises the spectacle, I’m all for it.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds it odd the Giants have not posted a photo of the jumper with the GF patch yet?
Can't think of the last time we haven't seen any promo in the modern social media world.

You would think they would be all over the PR

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
IMO GWS should wear:

Normal home jumper with all Charcoal elements (except numbers) replaced with white - white G replaced with a 50% lighter shade of charcoal/grey
White shorts
Orange socks

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Am I the only one who finds it odd the Giants have not posted a photo of the jumper with the GF patch yet?
Can't think of the last time we haven't seen any promo in the modern social media world.

You would think they would be all over the PR

Yep, super odd. Just doesn’t seem to be that important to them, especially considering several people have asked.

I’m also yet to see a good photo of their logo on the MCG turf, which is something clubs normally love to put out. Anyone seen a better version than this? Tigers looks to be the same as 2017 (with wordmark which was missing from both teams last year), Giants possibly charcoal with an orange outline?

73B4870E-4406-4A16-AE16-4A97B85882FF.jpeg

Yep, super odd. Just doesn’t seem to be that important to them, especially considering several people have asked.

I’m also yet to see a good photo of their logo on the MCG turf, which is something clubs normally love to put out. Anyone seen a better version than this? Tigers looks to be the same as 2017 (with wordmark which was missing from both teams last year), Giants possibly charcoal with an orange outline?

View attachment 754228
The Richmond wordmark looks there

View attachment 754228

I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, but there was a post on social media of the Giants logo being painted on, orange with a thick white stroke. I'll have a look around and see if I can find it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back