Discussion Finals Series 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

After jumpers have actually received some attention tonight, in the wrong way, they will finally change the policy and put geelong in white shorts I reckon. Especially since Eddie is pi**ed, that is just the cherry on top. Am confident we won’t see geelong in blue shorts for home games from now on
Geelong have been mainly in white shorts for years - it was only this year they changed back.

Geelong will never wear blue shorts again (except v Gold Coast and swans). White shorts v eagles?

I was at the game tonight. Absolute disaster. Was probably just over half way up the top level of the southern stand, roughly half forward at the Punt Rd end. Any time the play was in the city end 50, I had no idea what was going on. Nor did the people around me, who would frequently incorrectly cheer or jeer because they mixed up the uniforms.

Perhaps though, this has been one of the best things to happen in terms of the white shorts rule going forward. This has really shone a light on it for a lot of people, and apart from nuffies who just don’t get it and never will, I think it will instigate change. Next week against the Eagles will be telling (would be happy with both teams in full home tbh).

Heres Eddie’s little rant for anyone who missed it.

Couple of take aways from this:

- The ‘gentleman’s agreement’ can’t have been made 20 years ago. Geelong used the two-tone blue jumper in 2003 to try to solve a clash. Geelong wearing white shorts in home games became a thing about a dozen years ago at best.

- The home-sponsored white jumper still sounds like it will be a thing. Maybe there wasn’t much in the conspiracy of Collingwood not getting a home game against Carlton this year after all.

- He makes the point that the team with the lighter jumper should wear white shorts, so he’s now backed himself into a corner that if they do wear a white jumper in home games against Carlton, they’ll have to wear white shorts, not black as he proclaimed when he first mentioned the jumper mid last year.

A light and dark kit is sensible and ideal, however even having Collingwood in black shorts despite Geelong wearing navy would significantly reduced the mishmash of colours. Seemed like a Geelong pissing contest to me, as they stated during the pregame stuff that they had home game status and the pregame was all Geelong focused including their marching band and some flags.

I was at the game tonight. Absolute disaster. Was probably just over half way up the top level of the southern stand, roughly half forward at the Punt Rd end. Any time the play was in the city end 50, I had no idea what was going on. Nor did the people around me, who would frequently incorrectly cheer or jeer because they mixed up the uniforms.

Perhaps though, this has been one of the best things to happen in terms of the white shorts rule going forward. This has really shone a light on it for a lot of people, and apart from nuffies who just don’t get it and never will, I think it will instigate change. Next week against the Eagles will be telling (would be happy with both teams in full home tbh).

I was also at the ground, level 2A near behind the goals. The first ten minutes sucked but once I focused on the backs of the guernseys I got a feel for it. Still difficult but I guess tolerable. It would’ve been worse on TV.

Heres Eddie’s little rant for anyone who missed it.

Couple of take aways from this:

- The ‘gentleman’s agreement’ can’t have been made 20 years ago. Geelong used the two-tone blue jumper in 2003 to try to solve a clash. Geelong wearing white shorts in home games became a thing about a dozen years ago at best.

- The home-sponsored white jumper still sounds like it will be a thing. Maybe there wasn’t much in the conspiracy of Collingwood not getting a home game against Carlton this year after all.

- He makes the point that the team with the lighter jumper should wear white shorts, so he’s now backed himself into a corner that if they do wear a white jumper in home games against Carlton, they’ll have to wear white shorts, not black as he proclaimed when he first mentioned the jumper mid last year.

Geelong wore Blue shorts against Collingwood in 2007, Round 15:

Not quite 20 years as Eddie says. Geelong wore white shorts in the Prelim as the Home team however.

It was introduced in the 2007 Preliminary Final and tonight was the first time the teams moved away from it. I honestly thought that North and Collingwood we would still use white.

I was there and didn't have much of an issue, but in saying that wasn't really watching after the first 10 minutes as the game was over.

Begs the question - when did the AFL inform both clubs during the week? Who do they inform? Did Ed not get informed? If he did did he also raise the last 12 years of it not being like this? What was the response?
Did they look at game footage of last time in 2007?

Everyone is blaming us, but the AFL usually tell teams what to wear all finals?

We can request our preferred uniform but the AFL have for years made sure the match up was the best potential match up.

I will say the same thing as I said about the Kardinia Park Match up earlier this year. The issue is not I us wearing navy shorts, the AFL must let West Coast wear home shorts as well and there will be no clash next Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was on Level 4 Punt Rd end. Literally could no discern who has possesion on the other side of the ground as I'd have to squint my eyes looking for white shorts to know if it was a Pies player. I'd cheer when we got it, only to realise I was looking at the back of a Geelong guernsey. Genuine s**t show!

I think it was more the fact that there was no point getting it made up as we only played Carlton once and we were the away team so we just wore our clash anyway.

We can request our preferred uniform but the AFL have for years made sure the match up was the best potential match up.

I will say the same thing as I said about the Kardinia Park Match up earlier this year. The issue is not I us wearing navy shorts, the AFL must let West Coast wear home shorts as well and there will be no clash next Friday night.
Definitely an AFL thing. Geelong certainly have to right to request to wear their designated home uniforms, though in finals the AFL should do what's best to resolve clash and reach suitable level of contrast (as they've done in the past eg. 2017 GF), making it clear for fans who are consuming their product to distinguish the teams.

Wish I could say I was surprised by the whole situation, but gee... nice one Gil.

Hush now with your logic. AFL doesnt work that way.

But yeh, both Cats and Eagles in coloured shorts would be in fine. Introducing an extra shared colour by putting the eagles in white shorts is crazy (though no where near as bad as v Pies), but is obviously what will happen.

No team should ever be in white shorts against Geelong - no matter if they are in Navy or white shorts.
And if the Roos and Pies wore there traditional white jumpers, I'd say the same.

No idea why the AFL doesnt get this. Some old 'traditionalists' must be in the role of jumper / short decisions.

I was also at the ground, level 2A near behind the goals. The first ten minutes sucked but once I focused on the backs of the guernseys I got a feel for it. Still difficult but I guess tolerable. It would’ve been worse on TV.
After discovering this board and paying more attention to jumper matchups, I've realised that I always look at the backs of jumpers to distinguish teams, and to watch the game generally. On occasion I'll have to look at the shorts as a quick distinguishing factor between teams, if the backs are similar (this is usually because they're both black/dark, which still happens far too often in my opinion). Last night was so bad I genuinely had trouble watching, no matter the camera angle.

It wasn't picked up by commentators at the time but I also noticed two or three instances of Cats players turning over the ball because they handballed directly to a Pies player. Collingwood didn't have this issue, so I can only assume their increased pressure caused Geelong to make decisions that little bit quicker, resulting in them not correctly identifying the player.

Definitely an AFL thing. Geelong certainly have to right to request to wear their designated home uniforms, though in finals the AFL should do what's best to resolve clash and reach suitable level of contrast (as they've done in the past eg. 2017 GF), making it clear for fans who are consuming their product to distinguish the teams.

Wish I could say I was surprised by the whole situation, but gee... nice one Gil.
The AFL should be doing this for every damn game that is played. Period.

As far as I'm aware, every other professional league allows teams to wear whatever they want at home. It is then up to their opponent to provide a contrasting uniform that is acceptable. It's not that hard at the start of the year to have teams submit their uniforms and for the AFL to advise any away team when their submission isn't acceptable. They then come up with an alternative of their choosing, or get issued something like the green Essendon jumper (which I so wish was an actual thing!).

The AFL should be doing this for every damn game that is played. Period.

As far as I'm aware, every other professional league allows teams to wear whatever they want at home. It is then up to their opponent to provide a contrasting uniform that is acceptable. It's not that hard at the start of the year to have teams submit their uniforms and for the AFL to advise any away team when their submission isn't acceptable. They then come up with an alternative of their choosing, or get issued something like the green Essendon jumper (which I so wish was an actual thing!).
I was talking more as the finals series isn't actually bound to home and away traditions and so the AFL has the direct influence to dictate what teams wear (presumably so that their product looks better on TV). Wish it were the case in the regular season also.

Unpopular opinion, I was at the game and thought it was ok.

I agree with those saying both teams in home shorts was the solution here though.

Expect to see Cats in navy shorts v Eagles in white shorts next week.

The simple solution is Geelong in white, Collingwood in black (and next week, Geelong in white, WCE in royal) but ss much as I love the traditional element, I think the home team should be entitled to wear whatever the hell they want and its on the away team to avoid the clash. Sure, that means Collingwood could virtually never wear black and white against Geelong but so be it. It's 2019.

Imagine this was the grand final. It could be. Often qualifying final teams meet again in the granny.
If it's a GF from here Collingwood should be "home" as they beat Geelong in this game and forced them through the Semis to make the GF. Collingwood would also be "Winner PF1" so by that logic they would be "home" as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back