Discussion Finals Series 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit more on the jumper clash by Eddie.
He references a game in which Collingwood wore the exact matchup we saw Friday night 18-odd years ago, I think this was the match in question:

a7b0c7f4adc1b4598986dd50d4015d1d

He states this as a contributing factor to the inception of the black-based jumper.

Safe to say it makes a lot of sense for this gentleman's agreement to come into effect. Apparently, according to Eddie, it was Costa that approach him about this, not the other way around believe it or not.

Eddie's said he's spoken to Steve Hocking and at the end of the year sort "it" out. Given the context of him talking about the AFL's inability to get these clashes right, I believe he may be talking about the creation of an actual clash policy? Hopefully.

It seems that not one of the experts at Fox Footy or even Eddie know who designates the jumpers in finals and when anyone finds out. Has me thinking of a classic AFL stuff up by ticking off on Geelong requesting to wear dark shorts (which there is nothing wrong with), they just have to use common sense.

Additionally, Collingwood "White Back" is further confirmed as a "third jumper". Not sure if there are any other games where we'd wear it.

Found a video of the exact game! Gee this is atrocious.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I'd like to know who this Mr Magoo is as well, I suspect it's Hocking but wouldn't surpise me if it was some other ****!

Section 4

Club Colours and Uniforms
4.1 Clubs and Uniforms
(a) For the purposes of these Regulations:
(i) a uniform includes but is not limited to a guernsey, shorts, undershorts, socks, headbands and gloves;
(ii) the Club named first in a fixture of a Match shall be deemed to be the home Club and the second named Club shall be deemed to be the away Club; and
(iii) a home uniform means the uniform worn by a Club when it is the home Club and the away uniform means the uniform which may, subject to the direction of the AFL, be worn by a Club when it is the away Club.
(b) The AFL shall determine and may at any time vary the design, style, colour and fabric of a uniform as well as any item of uniform to be worn during any Match.
Sanction: Up to 5 Units for each Player, payable by the Player’s Club
4.2 Obligation to Have Uniforms Available
Each Club shall maintain and have available for each of its Players a home uniform, an away uniform and an alternative uniform for all Matches as approved by the AFL.
Sanction: Up to 20 Units for each Player wearing an incorrect uniform, payable by the Player’s Club
4.3 Exclusive Right to Wear Uniform
(a) Subject to this Regulation 4 and any specific directions given by the AFL, each Club has the exclusive right to wear its uniforms as set out in this Regulation 4
(b) No Club shall vary or attempt to vary its uniform without the prior written consent of the General Manager - Football Operations which he may grant or refuse in his absolute discretion.
4.4 Wearing of the Uniform
(a)
(b)
The uniform to be worn by a Club during the Home and Away Matches shall be as directed by the General Manager - Football Operations or his appointee.
Sanction: Up to 20 Units for each Player wearing an incorrect uniform, payable by the Player’s Club
The uniform to be worn by a Club during the Finals Series shall be as directed by General Manager - Football Operations or his appointee.
Sanction: Up to 40 Units for each Player wearing an incorrect uniform, payable by the Player’s Club

The uniform to be worn by a Club during the Finals Series shall be as directed by General Manager - Football Operations or his appointee.
We followed the rat droppings and ended up right where we started...

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The positive to come out of this kerfuffle is that uniform policy has suddenly at last been thrust into the mainstream. Here's hoping that this is the spark that finally gets the AFL to:

* adopt a proper clash policy that applies to ALL matchups (looking at you Carlton, Essendon and Richmond); and
* throw out the rubbery white shorts policy.

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
If it's a GF from here Collingwood should be "home" as they beat Geelong in this game and forced them through the Semis to make the GF. Collingwood would also be "Winner PF1" so by that logic they would be "home" as well.
This mentality really bugs me, and I see it on these boards all the time. When the finals start, each team is given a ranking based on their ladder position. It doesn't matter who wins/loses in week one, that ranking remains the same for each team throughout the entire finals series. If Collingwood play Geelong in the GF, Geelong will still be ranked 1 and Collingwood 4.

As proof of this, just look at how draft picks are allocated after finals. When two teams are eliminated each week, the higher ranked team will officially finish the season above the other, and receive the lower draft pick accordingly.

(hitthepost, please don't take this personally, you're just the most recent person to make this comment.)

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
This mentality really bugs me, and I see it on these boards all the time. When the finals start, each team is given a ranking based on their ladder position. It doesn't matter who wins/loses in week one, that ranking remains the same for each team throughout the entire finals series. If Collingwood play Geelong in the GF, Geelong will still be ranked 1 and Collingwood 4.

As proof of this, just look at how draft picks are allocated after finals. When two teams are eliminated each week, the higher ranked team will officially finish the season above the other, and receive the lower draft pick accordingly.

(hitthepost, please don't take this personally, you're just the most recent person to make this comment.)
I don't know about any of that. But regardless, a Collwood Geelong GF will surely see commonsense prevail, after the hoo-hah of the past few days.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral

I don't think it should work that way at all though. If Geelong get knocked out in straight sets, did they really finish the entire season first?
If they get beaten by 4th in the QF, shouldn't that reward 4th? I know it's a moot point but if each grand final was played at the home ground of the higher team...should it be played at the ground of the team who lost in week 1 or the team that beat them? As it stands now a Collingwood-Geelong GF should be played at the MCG not Geelong if we were doing "home ground" grand finals.

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know about any of that. But regardless, a Collwood Geelong GF will surely see commonsense prevail, after the hoo-hah of the past few days.
If Geelong get beaten by West Coast next week, they will finish the season 5th and be given pick 14 in the 2019 draft. Whoever loses out of Brisbane/GWS would finish 6th and be given pick 13.

Conversely, if West Coast lose they could be ranked either 5th or 6th, depending on the Brisbane/GWS result (Brisbane is ranked higher and would finish 5th with a loss, but GWS is ranked lower and would finish 6th if they lose).

If you look at how the AFL does their fixture, they also take into account the positions after finals have been played. For example, in 2016 the Dogs finished 7th after the regular season, but by virtue of winning the Premiership were grouped with the top 6 teams for their double-ups in 2017. Had they lost to West Coast they would have doubled-up with the mid-6 group instead.

I don't think it should work that way at all though. If Geelong get knocked out in straight sets, did they really finish the entire season first?
If they get beaten by 4th in the QF, shouldn't that reward 4th? I know it's a moot point but if each grand final was played at the home ground of the higher team...should it be played at the ground of the team who lost in week 1 or the team that beat them? As it stands now a Collingwood-Geelong GF should be played at the MCG not Geelong if we were doing "home ground" grand finals.
A win for 4th gives them the home preliminary final. That's a pretty decent reward. ;)

As for the home Grand Final (and this is just speculating based on the current system), I'd expect Geelong to be given the "home" Grand Final against Collingwood given they're still ranked 1. However, with the AFL they could do just about anything and justify it. For comparison (which is hard because I'm not aware of any other sport that allows a second chance in the finals) you could take the NBA playoffs. Whichever teams has the better win/loss ratio after the regular season is seeded 1. When the playoff/finals are scheduled, the higher-seeded team gets home court advantage. If the top seed wins each series in 7 games (a record of 12-9), and their opponent sweeps all of their games (12-0), the top seed is still given home court advantage, despite a poorer playoffs record. This is their reward for having finished the regular season with the best record.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If Geelong get beaten by West Coast next week, they will finish the season 5th and be given pick 14 in the 2019 draft. Whoever loses out of Brisbane/GWS would finish 6th and be given pick 13.

Conversely, if West Coast lose they could be ranked either 5th or 6th, depending on the Brisbane/GWS result (Brisbane is ranked higher and would finish 5th with a loss, but GWS is ranked lower and would finish 6th if they lose).

If you look at how the AFL does their fixture, they also take into account the positions after finals have been played. For example, in 2016 the Dogs finished 7th after the regular season, but by virtue of winning the Premiership were grouped with the top 6 teams for their double-ups in 2017. Had they lost to West Coast they would have doubled-up with the mid-6 group instead.

A win for 4th gives them the home preliminary final. That's a pretty decent reward. ;)

As for the home Grand Final (and this is just speculating based on the current system), I'd expect Geelong to be given the "home" Grand Final against Collingwood given they're still ranked 1. However, with the AFL they could do just about anything and justify it. For comparison (which is hard because I'm not aware of any other sport that allows a second chance in the finals) you could take the NBA playoffs. Whichever teams has the better win/loss ratio after the regular season is seeded 1. When the playoff/finals are scheduled, the higher-seeded team gets home court advantage. If the top seed wins each series in 7 games (a record of 12-9), and their opponent sweeps all of their games (12-0), the top seed is still given home court advantage, despite a poorer playoffs record. This is their reward for having finished the regular season with the best record.
I was referring to the 'seedings' during finals rather than the draft stuff. i.e. Collingwood is now seeded higher than Geelong and would be the notional home team in a GF.

I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just in reference to the GF policy and seedings, Red Crow put together a fantastic database of seedings and uniform arrangements this time last year if anyone's interested in having a look.

TL;DR: whoever finishes higher on the ladder in the H&A is the 'home' team

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Just in reference to the GF policy and seedings, Red Crow put together a fantastic database of seedings and uniform arrangements this time last year if anyone's interested in having a look.

TL;DR: whoever finishes higher on the ladder in the H&A is the 'home' team

As at last time the AFL had to justify the choice they made :p

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I was referring to the 'seedings' during finals rather than the draft stuff. i.e. Collingwood is now seeded higher than Geelong and would be the notional home team in a GF.

I think.
If the draft picks don't change as a result of the Qualifying Final results, then the seedings have not changed either. When it comes to who wears what uniform for the GF, or who is listed first (home) during Grand Final week, that's been screwed by AFL "policy" in recent years.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
Neither of Collingwoods strips avoid a clash with Geelong home
Collingwood's Dark strip (black top, black shorts) does not clash with Geelong's white strip (white top, white shorts)

Collingwood's Light strip (white top, white shorts) does not clash with Geelong's dark strip (blue backed top, blue shorts)

The problem is Geelong's preferred "Home" strip is a mix - light top, dark shorts.

Shorts allocation should be primarily determined to avoid a clash - who is the home team should only be a secondary consideration.
Hence why previously they have put the Pies in black shorts, even as the away team.

The same "Geelong issue" exists with other teams such as Carlton and Fremantle, who also have appropriate light and dark strips that no one complains about.

Edit: basically putting anyone in white shorts against Geelong is crazy. Ideally Geelong wear white shorts, but you'd still be better off having both teams in coloured shorts for all teams.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Best quote from the article:
"I don’t think it matters what colour shorts you’re wearing, it matters how well your players are playing on the day so I don’t think it would have bothered me too much.”

Geelong and Chris Scott are focusing on the wrong things (home grounds, shorts colours) to the detriment of their on-field success.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wtf is in the water down in geelong.
It’s not the water. It’s the different president. I never used to think presidents and boards had anything to do with on field. But of course they do, this president is different form Frank Costa who created a winning culture. This president is creating a whinnying culture. From colonial VFA records to home finals to dark shorts with a light jumper? He’s acting like a school kid. And it’s filtering down to Chris Scott and then the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back