Opinion Finals team

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. I think it comes down to this:

- martin plays against Melbourne (Gawn), Brisbane (mcinerney) and Sydney (Hickey).

- JUH plays against Geelong and port.

I’m riding with Cordy and wood down back.

No Hannan for me. Garcia and weightman get the small forward roles. Treloar over roarke smith of course.

Last query is two of Richards, JJ and Vandermeer.

FB: Williams Cordy Wood
HB: Dale Keath Duryea
C: Treloar Macrae Hunter
HF: Garcia Naughton JJ
FF: weightman Bruce JUH/English
R: martin/English Bonti Libba
IC: Dunkley, Daniel, Richards, Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There is doubt over Martin making it back in time for finals.

Otherwise team looks good. JJ gets a run ahead of Richards and VDM for mine. Toss a coin for the other spot.

- martin plays against Melbourne (Gawn), Brisbane (mcinerney) and Sydney (Hickey).

No Hannan for me. Garcia and weightman get the small forward roles. Treloar over roarke smith of course.

Yikes. If we go into a GF against Hawkins/Cameron/Ratugalea/Rohan and a Ruckman with that backline, we're in big trouble.

My team is the same as yours Frank but at this stage I'd have Hannan instead of JUH. Marra is still looking a bit raw for mine. Hannan is much older, fitter and has finals experience.

Yikes. If we go into a GF against Hawkins/Cameron/Ratugalea/Rohan and a Ruckman with that backline, we're in big trouble.

Or you could look at it the other way and say if we bring the ball to ground/outnumber, the ball will be rebounded out at will.

Mcinerney isnt a strong ruck. you could easily play the sole ruck against brisbane. Melb and Sydney probably need 2.

Most of that is pretty good but I don't think Cordy is best 22. That spot is still up for grabs.

Or you could look at it the other way and say if we bring the ball to ground/outnumber, the ball will be rebounded out at will.

Mcinerney isnt a strong ruck. you could easily play the sole ruck against brisbane. Melb and Sydney probably need 2.

Most of that is pretty good but I don't think Cordy is best 22. That spot is still up for grabs.
Getting funky about playing smalls on talls in finals has not worked out for us in the past. I remember Rohan Smith as CHB in the 98 Prelim. Choosing that as option A when we've got a strong team is wrong headed in my opinion.

Gardner in for Wood, depending on match ups. I feel Vanders also gets a gig, but no idea who for. Otherwise it looks pretty on point.

Even after only two games I'm not having Cordy over Schache

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've desired to play three key defenders since we lost to Melbourne in round 11 and we clearly see that as our best strategy heading forward. We brought in an underdone Gardner R12 v Freo, tried Lewis Young, and only went one week without that height (R18 v Gold Coast) where we had one of our worse recent performances, and were scared to bring Schache back into the team.

In other words, I can't see any scenario in which three of Keath plus two of Gardner, Schache and Cordy don't play, even if Wood's already in the team.

We've desired to play three key defenders since we lost to Melbourne in round 11 and we clearly see that as our best strategy heading forward. We brought in an underdone Gardner R12 v Freo, tried Lewis Young, and only went one week without that height (R18 v Gold Coast) where we had one of our worse recent performances, and were scared to bring Schache back into the team.

In other words, I can't see any scenario in which three of Keath plus two of Gardner, Schache and Cordy don't play, even if Wood's already in the team.
Keep in mind that Wood hasn’t been available this year. Bevo may see Wood as an adequate 3rd KPD type despite being undersized. The reality is that the Cats are the only finals side that concern me is this regard. Would we be comfortable playing Wood on Esava, or Wood on Luke Jackson? I’d say yes.

There’s zero chance we play 3 KPD plus Wood. We may opt to have a third in place of Wood but fitting them all in means you’re removing a Richards type.

Gardner is the interesting one. Clearly a fav on Bevo.

He should be listed as 1-3 weeks.

If he is only one week away and plays v Hawks I don’t think there is any doubt he’ll be in the finals side. But if he misses the next 3 weeks I highly doubt he’ll be picked for week 1 of the finals off no VFL form

I didn’t know martin was that bad. That’s a worry.

I think 2 key defenders (Keath and one of cordy, Gardner Or Schache) plus wood is the right mix. Wood is probably the best aerial defender of the lot.

i agree with the above. I would like to see how Schache goes over the next 3 weeks and if he overtakes Cordy. 1 on 1 Cordy is still ahead. If Martin is out then play Schache as part time ruck and third defender. This would mean Wood misses but I am not convinced about Wood just yet. See how he goes over the next 3 but maybe a tough decision may need to be made.

If our midfield is at full strength the 2nd ruck becomes less of an issue for mine, especially if the other team only has one genuine ruckman (even if that Ruck is a star). The St.Kilda double team last finals killed us, yet of the teams looking like being at the pointy end of September only Melbourne has that potential combo with Gawn/Jackson (which we recently nullified with only Tim).

My main question is around defence. I'm not worried about Keath (barring any setbacks in rehab), 2 x Baileys (Dale & Williams), Duryea and Caleb floating in and out as he pleases. Comes down which of the following we roll with, Wood, Schache, Cordy, Richards and Gardiner. You would think only 2 spots available for those 5.

I think basically Schache and Cordy are playing for 1 spot in the next 3 games. Keith comes straight back in, Gardiner a possibility, yet for mine has no game awareness. I'm actually hoping its Schache who is by far the smartest footballer of the 3 and better user of the ball. Yet he is going to have to throw himself into every one on one and fight like never before. To be honest 2nd key position defense is our biggest hole. Will be interesting to see how Bevo goes.

I didn’t know martin was that bad. That’s a worry.

I think 2 key defenders (Keath and one of cordy, Gardner Or Schache) plus wood is the right mix. Wood is probably the best aerial defender of the lot.

This, at this point I don’t care whether it’s Cordy, Gardner or Schache but so long as Keath and Wood are fit it’s gotta be just the one of them. We can’t go in with 2 average KPDs and Wood it just kills all our drive, take the hit in the aerial contests we do every week and win anyway.

See what happens next couple of weeks but I’ve almost locked JUH in at this point, you need as many point of differences as you can get in finals. Marra is a huge xfactor that could turn a final in a quarter. His defensive work rate is more than adequate to carry for his upside, I don’t think he’ll get found out in finals pressure tbh. He’s the spark our forward lines needed, he plays for mine

The jury is still out on Schache. Sure he's been ok in defence lately, but still doesn't look reliable in 1v1 contests. Key defenders need to be strong and aggressive these days, and I still dread seeing him match up on Hawkins or Cameron in a big final. I expect him to have a tough time in round 23 against Charlie Dixon.

Cordy should stay in the team, he's settled and plays his role well enough.

Stefan Martin should absolutely play if fit. I don't care what anyone says, we are vulnerable in the ruck if English is playing #1, especially in a big final where the physicality levels up. Sure it won't cost us every week, but you only need to watch the Sydney game to see how punishing it can be. Also, as seen earlier in the year, English plays better when not faced with the burden of rucking 80% of the game.

Everywhere else is pretty straightforward.
If you want to torture yourself, you could also watch the Saints final last year where English’s inability to compete in the ruck was arguably the deciding factor in the game.

Extremely small sample size but Hannan jumping over a ruckman 4-5 times a game in a contest is potentially handy.
Can someone point me to when on the weekend he was doing this? Haven’t had a chance to watch the replay and want to check it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back