Opinion Finals team

Remove this Banner Ad

Gardner is the interesting one. Clearly a fav on Bevo.

He should be listed as 1-3 weeks.

If he is only one week away and plays v Hawks I don’t think there is any doubt he’ll be in the finals side. But if he misses the next 3 weeks I highly doubt he’ll be picked for week 1 of the finals off no VFL form

If he’s fit he’ll play, he’s clearly the number two tall defender and his speed is an asset the other talls don’t have.

I hope they go with the three tall setup. It keeps the smalls on the ground and enables them to run the ball out, it also makes Wood much more valuable in the air.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he’s fit he’ll play, he’s clearly the number two tall defender and his speed is an asset the other talls don’t have.

I hope they go with the three tall setup. It keeps the smalls on the ground and enables them to run the ball out, it also makes Wood much more valuable in the air.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Three tall defenders plus Wood means Richards misses out and we still have 8 defenders, which is probably one too many.

I’m surprised to see quiet a few selecting Schache in our back 6/7 for finals.

First and foremost KPD’s need to be able to defend well 1v1. Schache’s been impressive with his intercept marking, reading the play and his skills coming out of the backline, but I don’t think he’s shown enough in his two games to suggest he’s close to holding down a spot once the others are back.

Couple of times on Saturday, Walker took the easiest of marks because Schache didn’t get a strong enough spoil on (they don’t get much easier to spoil) And last week probably wasn’t the best to go on either as he just didn’t get the opportunity to defend 1v1 enough.

He’s been far better than I thought he would be down there, and his skill set has translated well to certain areas of the role, but imo he’s behind all of Keath, Cordy and Gardiner for the key position.

I’m usually pretty relaxed with our defenders against any team, but I’d be very concerned with Schache lining up 1v1 against some of the key fwds we’ll come up against over the finals.

Hopefully he keeps improving over the next few weeks and we end up with some good pressure for spots.

First and foremost KPD’s need to be able to defend well 1v1. Schache’s been impressive with his intercept marking, reading the play and his skills coming out of the backline, but I don’t think he’s shown enough in his two games to suggest he’s close to holding down a spot once the others are back.

Couple of times on Saturday, Walker took the easiest of marks because Schache didn’t get a strong enough spoil on (they don’t get much easier to spoil) And last week probably wasn’t the best to go on either as he just didn’t get the opportunity to defend 1v1 enough.

He’s been far better than I thought he would be down there, and his skill set has translated well to certain areas of the role, but imo he’s behind all of Keath, Cordy and Gardiner for the key position.

I’m usually pretty relaxed with our defenders against any team, but I’d be very concerned with Schache lining up 1v1 against some of the key fwds we’ll come up against over the finals.

Hopefully he keeps improving over the next few weeks and we end up with some good pressure for spots.

Do you think Cordy's one on one is any better? I'm happy to give Schache another 3 games and then compare the two. At least Schache was next to his opponent competing. Intercept marking is also important. If Schache can bring this and improve a little in the 1 on 1 it would be great for the team. Not saying he can but at the moment I think he is on par with Cordy.

Weightman and JUH are our most natural leading forwards since Barry hall.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
How nice is it to watch, I’m sure the midfield love having a couple of naturals like that to kick to. Naughtys the glue that allows those two the space to lead into by attracting literally every defender to him and adds the unpredictable element by taking ridiculous contested marks. Throw in Bruce whose a more than handy 2nd tall and the likes of Tim and Bont rolling through as marking options. Then some less natural forwards but just as important for the pressure they provide in Garcia, JJ and soon VDM. This has the makings of one of the best forward lines we’ve ever put on the park

The way we set up is perfect for Schache to succeed though, we just don’t allow one on ones. Keath averages something like 2 one on one contests a game, if we can stop Schache from getting caught out in them as much as possible and keep him to 1 - 2 lost one on ones a game then his positives probably outweigh his negatives. I think a few of the ones he lost on the weekend there wasn’t much anyone would be able to do with the way the ball was carrying over the top due to wind and leaving him out of position.

Obviously Keath is our best interceptor but he gets the tough gig as number one lock down defender first and foremost. But as far as a genuine 2nd intercepting KPD in the Lever mould goes I think Schache has shown more than Cordy and Gardner have in that specific role in his two games than they ever have.

Cordy and Gardner are lock down defenders who still aren’t great at locking down. It’s not like they’re beasts one on one to keep out an intercepting focused tall

Do you think Cordy's one on one is any better? I'm happy to give Schache another 3 games and then compare the two. At least Schache was next to his opponent competing. Intercept marking is also important. If Schache can bring this and improve a little in the 1 on 1 it would be great for the team. Not saying he can but at the moment I think he is on par with Cordy.
This. Let’s be honest you could play 10 games in a row against the Cats and out of all the options of Gardner, Cordy, Young and Schache if they’re getting caught one on one with Hawkins id say they’d all have a pretty similar winning % of close to 0. Might as well take the option who offers a bit of intercept marking and great disposal which is probably Schache.

I dunno I’m pretty on the fence and happy to back in the coaches with whichever way we go and there’s a lot of water to go under the bridge for Schache especially, but early signs are pretty positive imo

B: Duryea Gardner Wood
HB: Dale Keath Williams
C: Hunter Dunkley Daniel
HF: JJ Naughton Treloar
F: Weightman Bruce English
R: Martin Bont Macrae
INT: Libba Garcia B.Smith Richards
SUB: Vandarmeer

This is the team I'd go with if anyone is injury free (which we know is highly unlikely). I still think our best team is with English as the third tall and second ruck with Martin being the main ruckman. In finals its much more contested and I just think a big experienced body like Martin would help us immensely. But it seems like 50/50 at best to get up so if he doesn't I think we have no other option but to do what we do now with English as first ruck and JUH as third tall. Gardner over Cordy but not too fussed about either, Schache plays if Wood or Keath go down again.

This. Let’s be honest you could play 10 games in a row against the Cats and out of all the options of Gardner, Cordy, Young and Schache if they’re getting caught one on one with Hawkins id say they’d all have a pretty similar winning % of close to 0. Might as well take the option who offers a bit of intercept marking and great disposal which is probably Schache.

I dunno I’m pretty on the fence and happy to back in the coaches with whichever way we go and there’s a lot of water to go under the bridge for Schache especially, but early signs are pretty positive imo

Fair calls.

I think Schaches worst traits when playing up fwd, his lack of aggression and his reluctance to be physically imposing probably scare me the most about his role down back.

I agree he doesn’t actually have to play the 1v1 role too often so it would work. I’m just a little hesitant right now.

Personally, would take Cordy in a high pressure final requiring a bit of campaigner.

Fair calls.

I think Schaches worst traits when playing up fwd, his lack of aggression and his reluctance to be physically imposing probably scare me the most about his role down back.

I agree he doesn’t actually have to play the 1v1 role too often so it would work. I’m just a little hesitant right now.

Personally, would take Cordy in a high pressure final requiring a bit of campaigner.
Cordy has demonstrated how effective his attack and knee is in a high pressure Prelim.

If all fit

Locks
Duryea, Dale, Keath, Williams, Hunter, Dunkley, Daniel
Naughton, Treloar, Weightman, Bruce, English ,Bont, Macrae
Libba, B.Smith

Probables

Wood
JJ
Garcia
Richards
Cordy
JUH

Possibles

Schache
Martin
Gardiner
Vandarmeer
R Smith
Wallis
Hannan
Scott
McNeill
Crozier
Lipinski
Khamis
West

That is a great list to pick from.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best team if everyone that should be available by finals.

B: Wood Keath Duryea

HB: Dale Cordy B. Williams

C: C.Daniel Macrae Treloar

HF: Dunkley Naughton Ugle-Hagan

FF: Weightman Bruce English

Followers: Martin, Bontempelli, Liberatore

Inter: Hunter, Vandermeer, Johanniesen, B.Smith

Sub: H.Crozier

Unlucky: Garcia/Hannan/Scott/Schache/E.Richards/Gardener/Wallis/Mcniel/Lipinski anyone else I missed.

I don’t think Bevo will go in with this side if all available, He loves Hannan and Scott!

Last edited:
My best team if everyone that should be available by finals.

B: Wood Keath Duryea

HB: Dale Cordy B. Williams

C: B.Smith Macrae Treloar

HF: Dunkley Naughton Ugle-Hagan

FF: Weightman Bruce English

Followers: Martin, Bontempelli, Liberatore

Inter: Hunter, Vandermeer, Johanniesen, Crozier

Sub: R. Garcia

Unlucky: Hannan/Scott/Schache/E.Richards/Gardener/Wallis/Mcniel/Lipinski anyone else I missed.

I don’t think Bevo will go in with this side if all available, He loves Hannan and Scott!

Bit harsh leaving Caleb Daniel out.

i agree with most on here that Schache's chance to play finals is as Cordy's replacement, Keith is a lock and Gardner has speed and agility over Schache and Cordy (and is Bevo's pet). Both are weak one and one and lumbering, schache takes more marks and kicks better, Cordy has that mongrel and big game stand up potential. im tipping Schache will be the heat relay swimmer and miss out on the final.

i agree with most on here that Schache's chance to play finals is as Cordy's replacement, Keith is a lock and Gardner has speed and agility over Schache and Cordy (and is Bevo's pet). Both are weak one and one and lumbering, schache takes more marks and kicks better, Cordy has that mongrel and big game stand up potential. im tipping Schache will be the heat relay swimmer and miss out on the final.
I think you have summed it up pretty nicely. On the weekend they were both beaten by Himmelberg on different occasions who is no star. Shaq was bodied out of position by a more aggressive player and then Cordy tried to rough up Himmelberg and got done for front on contact. Same result, point blank set shot on goal. I don’t think either get included for their one on one ability. The question is, what of their other attributes do the coaches more highly value for finals??

Williams - Keath - Duryea
Daniel - Cordy - Dale
B.Smith - Liberatore - Hunter
Dunkley - Naughton - JJ
Weightman - Bruce - JUH
English - Macrae - Bontempelli

Treloar - Hannan - Richards - Garcia

Medi-Sub - R.Smith

EMG: Scott, Wallis, McNeil, Young

For what its worth:

Happy with just the two talls in defence as ling as Keath is in the team. If Schache is the key tall we need back-up.

Thinking Martin won't be back, but him coming in also creates a problem. Does JUH stay in the team with English, Bruce, Naughton and Bont down fwd. I don't think so.

Williams - Keath - Duryea
Daniel - Cordy - Dale
B.Smith - Liberatore - Hunter
Dunkley - Naughton - JJ
Weightman - Bruce - JUH
English - Macrae - Bontempelli

Treloar - Hannan - Richards - Garcia

Medi-Sub - R.Smith

EMG: Scott, Wallis, McNeil, Young

For what its worth:

Happy with just the two talls in defence as ling as Keath is in the team. If Schache is the key tall we need back-up.

Thinking Martin won't be back, but him coming in also creates a problem. Does JUH stay in the team with English, Bruce, Naughton and Bont down fwd. I don't think so.

Hey Libba

I’d be worried about taking on ports talls, or geelongs talls, without Wood as the 3rd tall defender.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With a fully fit list, I think this is our best line up:

Duryea - Gardner - Wood
Williams - Keath - Dale
Smith - Liberatore - Hunter
Martin - Bontempelli - Macrae
Johannisen - Naughton - Vandermeer
Weightman - Bruce - English
Daniel - Dunkley - Treloar - Garcia

JUH plays if Martin can’t get fit. Schache and Cordy are fighting for Wood’s spot. Richards is stiff as well, he could play ahead of VDM/JJ. A few are going to be very unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back