Finals tiebreakers

Remove this Banner Ad

We're entering round 23 and we're very close to some very very very close ladder positions with some very realistic results.

Some games in the final round don't matter. But 5 results created the 2 areas of the ladder we need to look at

The 4 which don't matter and the hypothetical scores I gave, Collingwood 115-71 Essendon, Sydney 55-81 St Kilda, North Melbourne 107-35 Melbourne, Gold Coast 32-114 GWS

Now, the 5 matches which do matter
Geelong 73-74 Carlton (Doesn't necessarily matter but I did this so there's more riding on the other results)
West Coast 100-86 Hawthorn
Richmond 126-63 Brisbane
Western Bulldogs 70-94
Port Adelaide 87-63

This gives us 2 instances which have never happened before.

=2/3. West Coast and Richmond, 16-6, 1935 for, 1672 against. 64pts. 115.7296551% (and both falling short of Brisbane by 0.102228998%)
=8/9. Adelaide and Port Adelaide, 11-11, 1783 for, 1710 against. 44pts. 104.2690058% (and both clearing Bulldogs by 0.251394401%)

Who of West Coast and Richmond hosts the Qualifying Final?
Who of Adelaide and Port Adelaide plays finals?

I know the first few tiebreakers (Points, percentage, points for) but after that, what happens?
Does it go straight to the coin toss here? head-to-head?
What happens?

I do have a suggestion, if by sheer fluke that something happens resulting in teams being tied. Why not use the bye week as a match to determine who goes through?

We're entering round 23 and we're very close to some very very very close ladder positions with some very realistic results.

Some games in the final round don't matter. But 5 results created the 2 areas of the ladder we need to look at

The 4 which don't matter and the hypothetical scores I gave, Collingwood 115-71 Essendon, Sydney 55-81 St Kilda, North Melbourne 107-35 Melbourne, Gold Coast 32-114 GWS

Now, the 5 matches which do matter
Geelong 73-74 Carlton (Doesn't necessarily matter but I did this so there's more riding on the other results)
West Coast 100-86 Hawthorn
Richmond 126-63 Brisbane
Western Bulldogs 70-94
Port Adelaide 87-63

This gives us 2 instances which have never happened before.

=2/3. West Coast and Richmond, 16-6, 1935 for, 1672 against. 64pts. 115.7296551% (and both falling short of Brisbane by 0.102228998%)
=8/9. Adelaide and Port Adelaide, 11-11, 1783 for, 1710 against. 44pts. 104.2690058% (and both clearing Bulldogs by 0.251394401%)

Who of West Coast and Richmond hosts the Qualifying Final?
Who of Adelaide and Port Adelaide plays finals?

I know the first few tiebreakers (Points, percentage, points for) but after that, what happens?
Does it go straight to the coin toss here? head-to-head?
What happens?

I do have a suggestion, if by sheer fluke that something happens resulting in teams being tied. Why not use the bye week as a match to determine who goes through?

Lol- neither Adeliade nor Port Adelaide will play in the finals. Bulldogs will beat them easily in Ballarat. They are playing all over teams and Adelaide are too slow.

Why do you have Carlton beating Geelong? Not going to happen.

The only three games that really matter next week is Bulldogs v Adelaide. Even though I said the Bulldogs will win, if they don't then the 8th spot is up for grabs. The one is Richmond V Brisbane and West Coast v Hawthorn. Not because of the result because Richmond and West Coast will win but if West Coast can win by 40 and Brisbane lose by that much then their positions will swap..

Lol- neither Adeliade nor Port Adelaide will play in the finals. Bulldogs will beat them easily in Ballarat. They are playing all over teams and Adelaide are too slow.

Why do you have Carlton beating Geelong? Not going to happen.

The only three games that really matter next week is Bulldogs v Adelaide. Even though I said the Bulldogs will win, if they don't then the 8th spot is up for grabs. The one is Richmond V Brisbane and West Coast v Hawthorn. Not because of the result because Richmond and West Coast will win but if West Coast can win by 40 and Brisbane lose by that much then their positions will swap..

You have missed the OP's point completely...

yes he is talking about what would happen in the case of a tie breaker but I was suggesting that those results wont happen.
No, I'm asking what the next tiebreaker is if those results occur.

Goals scored? I guess West Coast and Adelaide get through on that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back