Finals Umpiring: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Right now we are watching the most over-officiated game of all time (and the other 5 finals haven't been much better). While there doesn't appear to be any bias, the umpires have shown time and time again that they are incapable of adjudicating the game with any form of consistency.

Part of the blame has to fall with Gil. How can umpires be expected to perform when there are multiple rule changes each season? How can they be expected to perform when almost every rule is subject to a substantial grey area? How can they be expected to perform when their job is a part-time hobby and not a proper job?

Things need to change before we see a Grand Final ruined by this.

I have to say the Lions v Giant game wa the most self indulgent over officiation of a game i have seen in a very long time.
All three field umpires should be dumped for the rest of the season.

Seriously umpy I do not give rats arse what your personal feelings are. Just STFU.
You are a servants. Do the boot studders get to impose their views on the game.
Get the mikes off these self indulgent fukwits.

And while we're at it will someone please drown Luke Darcy and James Brayshaw in the same bucket......FFS

Australians love a Royal Commission, especially when its into something they've turned a blind eye to for years and pretended it doesnt happen, until it directly impacts them

The problem is the umpires now think they gave us about them as much as it’s about the players.

The perfect example of this is Razor Ray in the last quarter with 5min left, he blew his whistle and kept everyone in suspense for 5-10 seconds before signalling which team got the free.

Yep, the umpires were disgraceful but we'll hear the same bulltish on Monday about no incorrect decisions blah, blah, blah.

We'll fix these cheating pricks up this weekend anyway

Funny, well ironic anyway that the umpire looks to protect Cameron, (he should but it should be unspoken) when all those years ago the thug Scott brothers targeted a badly injured Nick Riewoldt as he left the ground, while playing for the lions!

The Hawkins week set up for the AFL to do a Barry Hall and let him off.

One thing I know for sure, next week we need to be s long way in front with 10 min in it, or everyone except GWS supporters will see some umpire decisions pulled out of their AFL strung arses!

If we have this stupid bunker then why can’t the review take into account the chain of play and not just the final kick?

Yeah let’s review every call in a play to make sure it’s a goal. What happens if it’s 5 minutes of free play before hand? Do we review all of it? If not, why not?

It sucks losing to a bad call (and my club has lost grand finals because of it) but let’s not be salty and scream for every play to be video reviewed. Game is stop start enough, this would ruin it.

Scratching my head when they were telling the bloke he wasn't allowed to touch Charlie Cameron's arm or would be penalised.

Cool, so next week Dusty's biceps are sore, we just need to tell the ump and no one can bump him?

Not knocking Cameron, but that umpire has lost it.
Couldn't understand at the ground why they weren't belting him.

That's terrible umpiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game was ruined. Was all set for a cracker, both teams were super hyped. Then whistle whistle whistle whistle. Fell asleep in the 3rd. Ffs let them play!

Scratching my head when they were telling the bloke he wasn't allowed to touch Charlie Cameron's arm or would be penalised.

Cool, so next week Dusty's biceps are sore, we just need to tell the ump and no one can bump him?

Not knocking Cameron, but that umpire has lost it.
I agree completely, but the vagueness of the rules come into play.
There is actually a rule that says an injured player cant be interfered with ( sorry i dont recall the wording ).. But, imho, a player running back from the goal square is not injured. If Cameron had been lying on the ground in obvious pain ( as he was when he hurt is elbow ), well sure, protect a guy who is unable to protect himself - and trying to get off the field...

Regardless, way too many subjective rules...And rule changes..

Game was ruined. Was all set for a cracker, both teams were super hyped. Then whistle whistle whistle whistle. Fell asleep in the 3rd. Ffs let them play!
The problem started with the hype from the media about expected aggression and focus on Greene and DeBoer in particular. My impression was that Brisbane players initially overreacted and the umpires rightfully called the frees to try and crack down on that. When things started to get on a fairly even keel Stevic backed off a bit but the other two continued to call ridiculous things you see a hundred times a game. They were all there but so were things for the both sides and it is impossible to call every slight touch in such a contact game. The umpires job is not made easier when you get players like Zorko and Christenson niggling and then playing for frees. Green, DeBoer and Hodge all then push the envelope and that also puts pressure on. I was supportive of both teams as I like watching both but Brisbane have no reason to complain as they certainly had more than a fair rub of the green after quarter time. Some of the deliberate OOB was a joke and then there were none in the last quarter despite them being the same as the previous ones. I rank all three umpires pretty highly but Chamberlain backed himself into a corner with over officiating calls and I can't see him getting another gig this finals series.

At one stage Razor Ray blew his whistle to call play on tonight.

Channel 7 coverage is so crap, including the umpire mics. Whistle. "Hold there". Whistle. "Play on". "Play on". "Not fifteen". "Thanks mate". Whistle. Whistle. "Rucks nominate".

Turn up the mics in the crowd and turn off the umpires (save it for the replays).

Cameron Ling said something to the effect of the umpire should stfu

The problem started with the hype from the media about expected aggression and focus on Greene and DeBoer in particular. My impression was that Brisbane players initially overreacted and the umpires rightfully called the frees to try and crack down on that. When things started to get on a fairly even keel Stevic backed off a bit but the other two continued to call ridiculous things you see a hundred times a game. They were all there but so were things for the both sides and it is impossible to call every slight touch in such a contact game. The umpires job is not made easier when you get players like Zorko and Christenson niggling and then playing for frees. Green, DeBoer and Hodge all then push the envelope and that also puts pressure on. I was supportive of both teams as I like watching both but Brisbane have no reason to complain as they certainly had more than a fair rub of the green after quarter time. Some of the deliberate OOB was a joke and then there were none in the last quarter despite them being the same as the previous ones. I rank all three umpires pretty highly but Chamberlain backed himself into a corner with over officiating calls and I can't see him getting another gig this finals series.

There were plenty of inconsistent decisions both ways. Seems most neutral supporters were going for the fairytale and have reacted to the umpiring accordingly.

Certainly most Pies supporters were leaning towards preferring to play Brisbane.

Rubbish. GWS were getting screwed

I tend to agree. I have seen some the other way but by and large I thought the Giants were on the receiving end.

Just tempering the narrative that the Lions were the ones screwed over.

Rubbish. GWS were getting screwed

Couldn’t believe the way the umpires manufactured Brisbane’s first goal.

Not one, not two but 3 free kicks right after each other to take the ball from full back to the Brisbane goal square basically, without the ball ever being in play for longer than a few seconds each time.

There were plenty of inconsistent decisions both ways. Seems most neutral supporters were going for the fairytale and have reacted to the umpiring accordingly.

Certainly most Pies supporters were leaning towards preferring to play Brisbane.
Not from my point of view. I have recently moved to Brisbane and enjoy going to watch them play. I actually leant marginally to them but didn't really care if GWS won. The second half in particular was clearly Brisbane's way. Not often you get 10 free kicks to 1 in a final quarter and these were by no means clear free kicks plus many were missed for the Giants.

LOW LEVEL DISRUPTION from players.

The umps didn't pay frees for the first scuffles, the first jumper punches, the first pushes in the back, the first blocks and the first arm chops, the first time someone sat on a player who had marked the ball. They lost control of the game and we suffered through the confusion of them trying to get it back.

I pretty sure they were the 3 ( considered) best umps in the comp. Not 1 of those 3 should see another final. Stevic no 9 is an absolute shocker worst of the lot shaun Ryan not much better and razor(all about me) is razor. As others have said get the mikes of these campaigners and focus on the job. Tell the to STFU.
54 Free kicks is stopping the game every ! min 10 secs that just cannot be right.

Biased of course, but I thought the umpiring favoured the home side significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back