AFLW Finals Week 1 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood brought the I50s back to about even and stormed ahead on the scoreboard. Reflective of the point I made about North's defence during the week (and since the start of last year, tbh), although I kinda think it's nevertheless been the best showing from the backline all season.

Do I know you? Is this some sort of ongoing thread/forum joke?

Not sure if serious?

Are you not enjoying the match?
Ignore that poster, mate. You could complain all you like (which you clearly weren't doing anyway) and your contributions to this board would still be a million times more valuable.

Wow, great shot to put North back in front (from a pretty poor disposal with only 30 seconds). But it keeps the game a cracker.

At the risk of being called a complainer....

Again, a minor infraction (technically correct, but minor) has given a 1/4 of their points so far in the game.

I'm less inclined to think the 50m penalty should be reduced, and just think maybe it should be applied with a little more discretion in the women's game, when it can give a team such a large percentage of their points. I'm sure the rule wasn't designed to be the way 1/4 of points are scored.

On the other hand, one could easily say that players really need to stop infringing when it can be so costly.

Anyway, on to the game. This is very well poised and very enjoyable.

Ignore that poster, mate. You could complain all you like (which you clearly weren't doing anyway) and your contributions to this board would still be a million times more valuable.

Cheers. I will.

I just genuinely thought I was the mistaken target of an inside joke and was trying to work it out. It didn't make sense.

Anyway, we'll see if the scoring end continues.

Wow!

Fantastic tension, great finish. Garner with the super classy finish.

Collingwood have had a wonderful season, have played a brand of football that is just very enjoyable to watch. A fantastic step up this year from them. Bonnici was great (she always plays at 100%), Layton was the great improver she has been all year (really a symbol of how well they have all stepped up), Molloy and Membrey full of skill.

And North held their nerve so well. Some great defensive plays in that last quarter, players like Ashmore and Garner showing really clean skills and why North have to be one of the favourites, even in the revamped finals format.

I know it wouldn't happen this year anyway, but Collingwood are a great advertisement for a much longer AFLW season. "4th" in their conference (well, not really, they may have finished higher) and strugglers for years, but now playing a brand of football I want to watch every week. The only sad thing from a great match like that is that we won't see one team for a year, but I'm excited to see how Collingwood step it up again next year, hopefully for a much longer season.

It is also pretty tough on North, top of their conference, guaranteed 1 win from the GF, to now have a knockout vs the very in form Collingwood.
I gently alluded to this on the previous page, but the flipside to it is just as pertinent. Whichever team lost this game was gonna be pretty stiff, no doubt in my mind a change to this new finals structure should've meant North played Brisbane and Collingwood played Melbourne.

Molloy lining up with a minute to go, a tough shot but she's kicked them from further out and on tighter angles already this year... that was North's season over, I was sure of it.

Good game? Too damn good for my liking! Certainly forgot about the lack of crowd when push really came to shove. Nerves have just started to settle back down, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Collingwood did well this year. I've been talking them up for about 11 months and, after messing around with their forward-line a bit too much in the early rounds, they proved themselves as genuine contenders. With a fit Brazill, who knows where they end up this year. At the same time, I don't think they did themselves any favours by dropping Sarah Dargan--much too polished user of the footy to be missing out for over-the-hill dribblers like Sophie Casey (who I don't want to be too critical of... because she's mentally unstable and will probably come after me).

I was genuinely barracking for the pies before the finals fixture was released, they will be deadly next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well this is tight.

Our forwards struggling to get clean marks, Giants forwards spraying a few.

Our midfield is getting beaten on the ground quite a bit, unusual for us, well done to GWS. Birch has saved us a few times.

Well, we fixed up our poor linking to the forwards, but couldn't shoot straight.

GWS did well to keep it to 1 point after our inside 50 blitz at the start of the quarter.

Missing the energy of Goldrick out there.... I see plenty of Gaelic players are still here, I assume they have a more permanent base here? Must be extra tough right now on people, athletes included, who have to work away from their families and home countries at the moment. Good luck to McEvoy and Goldrick, I loved watching them this year and hope they can come back for us some time in a future year.

On the plus side we get to see Heath keep developing after her stint in hospital, and I really like how she is growing.

Now, if some of our more experienced players could just lift their accuracy and disposal efficiency, we can pull away.

Missed opportunities for the Demons, and the Giants looking half asleep in a crunchtime match. Kinda familiar tale for both teams in regards to their previous few years. GWS coming out hot here might not be the worst thing for Melbourne, force Stinear to be more proactive perhaps.

Ouch. Big play in the last few seconds for Staunton.

Really, our attack has been so flat this last few weeks, we are getting what we deserve.

Would take a major turnaround from here.

Wohoooo!!!!

I mean, bad luck GWS. They played so well, and just some great plays at the end pipped them.

Mithin and Perkins with some outstanding goal shooting at the end. I'm about to collapse from nerves and excitement. Great finish (I assume, terrible for me. I can't breathe...)

Brutal loss that, but it never felt like GWS had done enough. It was not pretty and if they thought last week was their blueprint to success then, harsh as it sounds, I'm glad they were taught a tough lesson to the contrary today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back