AFLW Finals Week 1 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Basil thinks Fremantle's plan might be to play on at all costs and move the ball as quickly as possible. Can't get anything past this guy.

Brutal loss that, but it never felt like GWS had done enough. It was not pretty and if they thought last week was their blueprint to success then, harsh as it sounds, I'm glad they were taught a tough lesson to the contrary today.

I'm not sure if I was crying in pure happiness, or sadness for the poor GWS players. Seeing Hetherington crying, the absolute definition of a super club player, in possibly her last game, was heart breaking.

But you are right in terms of tactics. We didn't know what we were doing most the match, but GWS just took any pressure on the score board off the table the last 10 minutes, and you have to wonder if just giving the other side ball after ball in your defensive zone is really the best way to go. Eventually a free kick (as happened with Perkin's goal) or great play (Hore to Mithin to goal) could catch you.

I don’t often notice biased commentary but listening to Basil fawning over some of the Fremantle players you would think he fathered them. Either that or he is commentating in a seperate room with his trousers around his ankles.

Houghton cannot be serious, that's the shot on goal she drills. Defies all logic, physics, you name it...
Was always gonna slot that haha

It just the way she is :D

I'm not sure if I was crying in pure happiness, or sadness for the poor GWS players. Seeing Hetherington crying, the absolute definition of a super club player, in possibly her last game, was heart breaking.

But you are right in terms of tactics. We didn't know what we were doing most the match, but GWS just took any pressure on the score board off the table the last 10 minutes, and you have to wonder if just giving the other side ball after ball in your defensive zone is really the best way to go. Eventually a free kick (as happened with Perkin's goal) or great play (Hore to Mithin to goal) could catch you.
Enjoy this WibblingChicken

I don’t often notice biased commentary but listening to Basil fawning over some of the Fremantle players you would think he fathered them. Either that or he is commentating in a seperate room with his trousers around his ankles.
He couldn't even pick out the Suns captain, called her "Opponent of Sabreena Duffy". Then spent the next minute checking the footy record before spitting out a name... smooth.

Can anything good come out of this 4th quarter? Freo can't win the flag in the next 15 minutes but, with the way bodies have been piling up left and right, they could lose it with a repeat of last year's onslaught of injuries in R7.

Flood and Clifford let slip a couple easy goal chances as Freo fall just short of both the biggest winning margin and highest score at AFLW level.

Well 3 good ones in a row was too much to hope for. Fremantle deserved that, have been great all year and continued that into the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane hopeless again today. Not compared to when they were a grand final team. Not compared to Carlton* today. No, compared to Brisbane of a few weeks ago. They finish their season with three straight losses after looking good out of the gates, basically a repeat of 2019.

*But if we want to analyse the biggest difference between the two teams: even when the Blues' less capable players blindly hack it forward, there are one, two, three lines of Carlton players in the right position to halve the contest and the contest after that and so on. It wasn't as if they found an extra gear or anything like that in the end, just managed to keep basic common-sense structure.

That’s what I think will happen.

And it sucks arse

Surely they could see this coming though. Should have either played 2 prelims Wednesday with grand final today or just have winner of each conference play today. They were actually extremely lucky to get an extra week, but they wasted it.

Last edited:
Surely they could see this coming though. Should have either played 2 prelims Wednesday with grand final today or just have winner of each conference play today. They were actually extremely lucky to get an extra week, but they wasted it.
you could see it a mile away,granny should of been played between 2 top sides by today,I guess they showed how much they cared about it by doing nothing.

you could see it a mile away,granny should of been played between 2 top sides by today,I guess they showed how much they cared about it by doing nothing.

Or why they listened to the selfish players of clubs that would have missed out. Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood, GC, GWS, Brisbane.
Anyone could see another three rounds weren’t going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back