Fixture Finals Week 1 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally who is asking for Thursday night finals? Just makes it logistically impossible for so many people
Broadcasters. They want the $$$ and the AFL needs to keep them happy.

Ideally, it’d be:

Friday night: Pies v Dees MCG
Saturday: Lions v Power Gabba
Saturday night: Blues v Swans MCG
Sunday: Saints v Giants MCG/Marvel

Broadcasters. They want the $$$ and the AFL needs to keep them happy.

Ideally, it’d be:

Friday night: Pies v Dees MCG
Saturday: Lions v Power Gabba
Saturday night: Blues v Swans MCG
Sunday: Saints v Giants MCG/Marvel

No to the Sunday game because that would mean a 6 day turnaround the following week.

Very surprised Collingwood v Melbourne is the Thursday game. Would be a massive game for Friday…

Loser of Bris and Port stiff, getting a shorter break than the EF2 team (especially if it’s Port who will have to travel back to Adelaide)

Top side gets priority with the longer break. You have to get something for finishing top.

There are no Day finals, no Marvel finals and no 2 extra days break for any game.
I am nit guessing what it will be, I am suggesting what is should be. Do you think the AFL has rules around this? No chance.

Anyway, there is usually a Sat arvo final (if there is a Perth game in may be slightly later but is usually 3.20pm). 2017 and 2020 used this format with the QFs first 2 extra days break. And Marvel with 45k will be better than MCG with 60k. The series ticket holders (does that still exist?) can go to Blues v Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a pretty redundant post, but I would love to have seen Carlton v Sydney on a Sunday afternoon at 2:30pm.

There is still something about the Fri night/Sat arvo 2.30/Sat night/Sun arvo 2:30 fixture.

10+ years on and the 3:20 start still irks me.

This is a pretty redundant post, but I would love to have seen Carlton v Sydney on a Sunday afternoon at 2:30pm.

There is still something about the Fri night/Sat arvo 2.30/Sat night/Sun arvo 2:30 fixture.

there can't be a Sunday game as it would mean only a 6 day turnaround for the winner of it, as the semis are Fri and Sat night

they do. they get a trophy. same as every team who finishes top
Something that actually matters. Also, someone needs to play first, so naturally will be the minor premiers. This year has more Vic teams than normal, with 3 finals at the MCG, so someone had to play Thursday.

I presume it's attractive to get as many night games as possible.

Does anybody have any statistics on what the crowds have been like for the past Thursday night games in terms of the finals series?
Only been doing Thursday night finals since 2016 I believe and only elimination finals.

2022: 35K Brisbane v Richmond at Gabba
2020*: 22K Port v Geelong at Adelaide Oval
2019: 59K West Coast v Essendon at Perth Stadium
2018: 91K Richmond v Hawthorn at MCG
2017: 52K Adelaide v GWS at Adelaide oval
2016: 42K West Coast v Bulldogs at Subiaco

Only been doing Thursday night finals since 2016 I believe and only elimination finals.

2022: 35K Brisbane v Richmond at Gabba
2020*: 22K Port v Geelong at Adelaide Oval
2019: 59K West Coast v Essendon at Perth Stadium
2018: 91K Richmond v Hawthorn at MCG
2017: 52K Adelaide v GWS at Adelaide oval
2016: 42K West Coast v Bulldogs at Subiaco
Interesting. Those numbers would be attractive surely, and go against the midweek crowd theory. Although, do you see a better day and time slot that the league can implement?

Menu
Video
Match Centre
Ladder
Stats
Clubs
Follow us on social media

2023 Toyota AFL Finals Series Week One Fixture Confirmed
The full fixture for the 2023 finals is in

Just now

The road to the 2023 premiership ahead of the finals.
The AFL has confirmed the fixture for Week One of the 2023 Toyota AFL Finals Series as follows:

Thursday, September 7

First Qualifying Final, Collingwood vs Melbourne, 7:20pm, MCG

Friday, September 8

First Elimination Final, Carlton vs Sydney Swans, 7:50pm, MCG

Saturday, September 9

Second Elimination Final, St Kilda vs GWS GIANTS, 3.20pm, MCG

Second Qualifying Final, Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide, 7:25pm, The Gabba

This poster gets it.

AFL can't win with some people.

1 v 4 game and 5 v 8 games have to be Thursday/Friday games or both on Saturday, which in this case is 2 v 3 and 6 v 7.

Carlton Sydney and Collingwood Melbourne are both at the MCG so can't be on the same day, which rules out Saturday for both of them, so the AFL was forced to put these games Thursday/Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back