AFLW Finals Week 1: Qualifying Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested in the difference, I believe freos training they were keeping players somewhat separate which ended up disadvantaging us. If that article is correct one positive test and 17 close contacts means they are allowed to delay.

Anyone else thinking they won't postpone the Lions v Pies by a week, but probably shift it into a Tuesday or Wednesday night slot (dependent on enough Pies players back), and then have the winner play the Crows on a Sunday?

Anyone else thinking they won't postpone the Lions v Pies by a week, but probably shift it into a Tuesday or Wednesday night slot (dependent on enough Pies players back), and then have the winner play the Crows on a Sunday?

I doubt it. They might postpone the Melbourne match but I can't see them switching the actual matches around.

Other way round Brisbane vs Pies play Melbourne could see a 3 day break wouldn’t be the first time this year Lions played again after a 3 day break

Other way round Brisbane vs Pies play Melbourne could see a 3 day break wouldn’t be the first time this year Lions played again after a 3 day break

I’m a bit dubious about this game being postponed.

I know with Covid, we’ve had to be flexible, but other teams have lost players for games. Did Collingwood follow the correct protocols for Covid in relation to their players?. Are the AFL playing the Collingwood card .... ?.

I know with Covid, we’ve had to be flexible, but other teams have lost players for games. Did Collingwood follow the correct protocols for Covid in relation to their players?. Are the AFL playing the Collingwood card .... ?.
Nothing dubious about it. It's pretty simple: When a club is missing half their squad, the match is postponed--this has happened several times throughout the season. If a club is missing some of their squad, but less than half, they play on--this has happened to every club.

No team has played off a 3-day break. Five teams have played off the minimum 4-day break though.

Its been the rule all season that the match will be postponed if there are less than 16 AFLW players available to a team. Why should it be different just for finals?

Its been the rule all season that the match will be postponed if there are less than 16 AFLW players available to a team. Why should it be different just for finals?
Well the question is more wheres the line with this stuff. Freo didn't get to postpone because we had protocols in place to reduce player exposure. So we get punished for doing a good job? Do a bad job and the competition stops for you. Right or wrong that's conundrum.

Basically the same issues for North Melbourne that ended their season back in 2019 in the same fashion against the same team. Can't expect to go too far against healthy top opposition when you have Emma King and Ashmore among your 4 or 5 most important players, just not up for the fight in big games.

They really ought to be playing the Adelaide v Fremantle prelim next weekend, even if Brisbane v Collingwood isn't also played until then. Dockers will feel like they're on a roll so they'll be up for it. Crows would rather not have two weekends off in a row, I assume. Plus, should Adelaide win that, it'll give the AFL longer to sort out and promote grand final details (and it also means AO could be used on the Sunday for the PF, because there won't be the issue of a six-day break heading into a GF).

Basically the same issues for North Melbourne that ended their season back in 2019 in the same fashion against the same team. Can't expect to go too far against healthy top opposition when you have Emma King and Ashmore among your 4 or 5 most important players, just not up for the fight in big games.

They really ought to be playing the Adelaide v Fremantle prelim next weekend, even if Brisbane v Collingwood isn't also played until then. Dockers will feel like they're on a roll so they'll be up for it. Crows would rather not have two weekends off in a row, I assume. Plus, should Adelaide win that, it'll give the AFL longer to sort out and promote grand final details (and it also means AO could be used on the Sunday for the PF, because there won't be the issue of a six-day break heading into a GF).
Totally agree. Play the Crows/Dockers prelim next week and let the other side of the draw happen as best it can under the protocols. No way Crows should be forced to have a three week gap between H&A and their first final unless it has to happen. Hard for the Dees that it’s likely that they will have to have a three week gap - but can’t penalise Crows if Covid is impacting our side of the draw.

Was a cracking final today in the first half, but I think Freo scoring twice straight from the centre bounce following North goals just sucked the life out of the Roos.

We’ll clearly start as underdogs against the Crows - but the best performance in our AFLW history was away to the Crows last year - so let’s hope we can repeat it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowd of 1200? For a final? I know it's North, but 1200? That's family and friends territory.
Complaining about attendance figures? In 2022? That's hopelessly oblivious territory. But yeah, every player brought along 60 of their closest friends, good one.

It was a bigger crowd than what Melbourne got to their QF against Fremantle last year. And if we want bigger crowds for the first week of finals (even more than the whopping 3k Collingwood got in 2021), then maybe they shouldn't be played during the men's season...

Bris v Coll details expected to be announced "as soon as Monday".

Other key points from the article:
Fremantle will travel to Adelaide this weekend to face the Crows
The league has remained committed to playing the AFLW Grand Final on the weekend of April 2 and 3, with broadcast and match planning already well underway.
Melbourne must wait...to determine its preliminary final opponent. That game is currently scheduled for this weekend.
All that, if accurate, would mean Brisbane game on Wednesday night, and the Melbourne prelim on Sunday.

Still no update from the AFL on the finals schedule... Collingwood should be allowed to use VFLW listed players if neccessary to get the match played.

Still no update from the AFL on the finals schedule... Collingwood should be allowed to use VFLW listed players if neccessary to get the match played.

Game now Sunday at The Gabba 12:05pm AEST prelims and GF push back.

Game now Sunday at The Gabba 12:05pm AEST prelims and GF push back.
This will now clash with Collingwood's VFL season opener against Box Hill which was scheduled to be broadcast live on the Seven Network.
I'm guessing this means the VFL telecast will be bumped to 7mate.

This will now clash with Collingwood's VFL season opener against Box Hill which was scheduled to be broadcast live on the Seven Network.
I'm guessing this means the VFL telecast will be bumped to 7mate.
I’m happy for them to just not broadcast us being done by 100 points in the VFL tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back