Preview Finals Week One: Brisbane Lions vs Richmond Tigers @ The Gabba, Friday Oct 2, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we win whoever is BOG will henceforth be known as "Hubris" or if it's McStay "McHubris"
Can I have a large fries and a chocolate thick shake with that.

Nothing like showing a clip or 2 to prove a point lolll

Its almost as if the Lions have never gotten away with a free kick
I think the difference is that players like Riewoldt at Richmond and Selwood and Dangerfield at Geelong actually tell the umpires what to call and in a glaring way they comply. Those three, in particular, appear to have the umpires intimidated and they get a dream run.

Hey all.

Sorry for intruding, just wondering if anyone has heard if they are increasing the capacity for the finals from the current 16,000? Seems our covid situation is well under control in QLD and the GF is expecting 31,000 approx. Be interested to know if they will increase the capacity before then. Obviously going to be a very in-demand game.

Ps. Please knock Richmond off. Thx.

Hey all.

Sorry for intruding, just wondering if anyone has heard if they are increasing the capacity for the finals from the current 16,000? Seems our covid situation is well under control in QLD and the GF is expecting 31,000 approx. Be interested to know if they will increase the capacity before then. Obviously going to be a very in-demand game.

Ps. Please knock Richmond off. Thx.

I believe I heard they're expecting 19k moving forward. I am on holidays so may have dreamed that up lol.

The crowd that do go along to this one will have to have their loud faces on to match the atmosphere of the corresponding final last season, the 15 minutes before bouncedown and the 1st quarter and a bit was THE best atmosphere I have experienced at any sporting event and that includes full or near full Adelaide Oval, Marvel, MCG, Stadium Australia(I was there for the Asian Cup Final in 2015).

It was spine tingling emotional stuff at it's finest, any talk of the Gabba lacking atmosphere is pure unadulterated Victorian bias bullshit.

The crowd that do go along to this one will have to have their loud faces on to match the atmosphere of the corresponding final last season, the 15 minutes before bouncedown and the 1st quarter and a bit was THE best atmosphere I have experienced at any sporting event and that includes full or near full Adelaide Oval, Marvel, MCG, Stadium Australia(I was there for the Asian Cup Final in 2015).

It was spine tingling emotional stuff at it's finest, any talk of the Gabba lacking atmosphere is pure unadulterated Victorian bias bullshit.

20,000 at the Gabba can make huge noise. Port Adelaide in round 3 last year was super loud.

The first quarter in that QF was fantastic atmosphere-wise, but one can't go past the last few minutes of the Geelong game. From Witherden's kick inboard to when Linc slotted it, was 45 seconds or so of ear-splitting stuff.

Unbelievable, and eclipsed anything I've heard at a sporting event - have been to countless big MCG matches including many finals (inc. the 2013 PF), 5 Grand Finals, Round 14 2009 @ Etihad, numerous Premier League games, etc. None really come that close. T'was remarkable.

Very noisy the Gabba,I was there.
2017 prelim versus the Giants is the loudest I have witnessed,when Lambert kicked the opening goal,it was deafening,like the space shuttle flew over,my gf blocked her ears.

90k Tigers at the ground so understandable.

Being at both the round 23 game last year at the MCG and the semi final against GWS at the Gabba.
Honestly equally as loud in volume.

MCG you can probably feel how loud it is more, the noise is deeper.

But volume wise though it’s very similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just had my life threatened mate. Please take this seriously.
If slashing your tires is life-threatening, stop strapping yourself to your tires.

If slashing your tires is life-threatening, stop strapping yourself to your tires.

My Ford Ranger forms a crucial part of my identity. If I couldn’t tailgate a P Plater on my way home from a game I’d literally die.

Just FYI for those members with Victorian addresses, you won't be able to buy any finals tickets due to an AFL stipulation excluding members with a Victorian address. No big surprise really but worth noting for those of you who were looking to buy tickets for friends and family, as I was.

To try to get ahead of the meltdowns...

Just FYI for those members with Victorian addresses, you won't be able to buy any finals tickets due to an AFL stipulation excluding members with a Victorian address. No big surprise really but worth noting for those of you who were looking to buy tickets for friends and family, as I was.

...the AFL. Not the club.

To provide further information from the club:

Based on state border restrictions as of 24 hours prior to the first on-sale for each match, only members who reside in the state in which the match will be played or reside in states with open borders to the state in which the match will be played will be eligible to purchase tickets.

Given the ongoing impact of Covid-19, there will be rigorous capacity and control measures in place at all 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series matches, including but not limited to COVID Safe plans for all venues, physical distancing requirements, regular cleaning and disinfecting, restrictions on crowd numbers and maintaining a list of contact details for every person who attends each match. To ensure we adhere to these strict contact tracing requirements, club member entitlements are not transferable.

I also suggested that they may want to make this information available to Victorian-based members as I couldn't easily see that information in the Lions "finals hub" section which seems a bit remiss considering that they list "Traditional Victorian" and "Victorian Plus" members as having priority access to purchase tickets.

Edit: Just looking again, the COVID restriction information is available on the Ticketmaster Lions site but not on the Lions site itself.

Last edited:
Its so hard to hate Richmond. They did it tougher then most for the majority of 50 years. Finally come good. Gives me hope we will have success as it can happen. With the right people.

Unfortunately for us our coming good has come at a time they are unbeatable on our home deck. I want to beat them so bad. I can feel a 1st vs 2nd gf coming.

Just need to focus on what we can control. Our system works. We need to believe that. We need to execute. We need to work hard. We know the boys have a winning margin in them. For some reason our defensive transition (which kills and of the bottom top 8 teams plus port) falls down against the better teams. Work that out. Win the game.

20,000 at the Gabba can make huge noise. Port Adelaide in round 3 last year was super loud.

The first quarter in that QF was fantastic atmosphere-wise, but one can't go past the last few minutes of the Geelong game. From Witherden's kick inboard to when Linc slotted it, was 45 seconds or so of ear-splitting stuff.

Unbelievable, and eclipsed anything I've heard at a sporting event - have been to countless big MCG matches including many finals (inc. the 2013 PF), 5 Grand Finals, Round 14 2009 @ Etihad, numerous Premier League games, etc. None really come that close. T'was remarkable.

The liiioooons chant that went up 15minutes after the last elimination final in 2019 was spine tingling.

We’d lost and were out if the finals and a hell of a lot of people had left, but those left raised a massive sound in appreciation while the players were still on the ground.

One of the best sporting moments I’ve been in.

Its so hard to hate Richmond. They did it tougher then most for the majority of 50 years. Finally come good. Gives me hope we will have success as it can happen. With the right people.
I think Geelong is the better example, although I do hate them.

As a kid, they were the perennial bridesmaid, being the runner up on three occasions I can remember, 89, 94 and 95 and from 2007 IIRC, they finally broke through, won three premierships in 07, 09 and 11 and have never really bottomed out since and continue to challenge for flags, albeit falling short at the Preliminary Final stage a few times and even next year look like they'll do well with bringing in more senior players.

Very noisy the Gabba,I was there.
2017 prelim versus the Giants is the loudest I have witnessed,when Lambert kicked the opening goal,it was deafening,like the space shuttle flew over,my gf blocked her ears.

90k Tigers at the ground so understandable.
Yep, I understand that, I wasn't really commenting on noise level, it was more the emotional feel/vibe that was going around that night v Richmond, the love/applause that Chris Fagan got as he walked towards the bench just before bouncedown was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back