Preview Finals Week One: Brisbane Lions vs Richmond Tigers @ The Gabba, Friday Oct 2, 7:50pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I write this, I am watching the Pies choke against Port. Stephenson is being is usual ‘afraid of contact’ self and De Goey has two touches, exposing himself as a down hill skiing flat track bully.

The truth is, it’s not often I’d sit down and watch my two most hated teams play a game of footy, but alas I like all Lions fans want to see us get our first ever minor premiership so we can head into week one of finals against the sissy Cats.

But is that our best opponent? I think not.

The truth is, if we are going to go all the way, it starts with the best. I reached out to the reigning premiers and some old bloke had this to say:

And doesn’t he have a point? If we are going to be the 2020 premiers, at the home of Queensland footy, we absolutely must beat Richmond at one point or another. What better time to do it week one with a returning Harris Andrews?

There are still two quarters of the Prison Bars cup to go so while I wait for that result, let’s look at the boys in maroon, blue and gold and how I see the team lining up:

The Team

Backs:

Lester Andrews Starcevich

Birchall Gardiner Rich

The impact Luke Hodge has had on our back six is undeniable. For a 300 game veteran of the Hawks, he’s left a huge legacy behind at Brisbane in two short years. Our back six are a cohesive unit and is full of leaders.

Dizzy Gardiner is an incredibly underrated defender and has stood up in the absence of Andrews. He’s often forced to play on taller opponents, but when getting the chance to play on small to medium forwards, he starts to shine. Expect him to get Martin assuming Port win. He kept him goalless earlier in the year after all!

Lester has been a revelation, taking Hodges general role and flourishing. His leadership and calm demeanour has been extremely import on field, but during the Covid break had a huge impact on players and is a big reason we came back from the break and have gone on to win all bar two games.

The quartet of Starcevich, Birchall, Ah Chee & Rich have been pivotal to this success. All four bring different weapons, but have an uncanning ability to drive the ball forward with precision. Ah Chee took a while to find confidence, but has stepped up as an intercept marking, hard hitting player and is worth noting he had the third most intercept marks of any player this season against Carlton. Fagans faith is starting to be repaid as we see the player he can be start to shine more and more each week. In similar fashion, Starcevich has built belief and is rarely beaten in one on one contests. Rich is a superstar and as we saw against Carlton, can take games over when playing higher up the ground. Birchall brings a wealth of finals experience and has completed his pre-season and is ready for the real deal!

But what good is our army without its Dad? Harris Andrews looks set to play week one of finals (Peter Blanch I could kiss you!) in what is a huge win for the club. He can intercept, spoil and blanket opposition talls. Whether that’s Tomahawk or Lynch remains to be seen (later in this preview when the game finishes), but regardless of who, we will be well equipped to keep our opposition forwards honest. The intercepting power of Ah Chee, Starcevich and Andrews will prove to be an important part of winning any games of finals.

Mids:
Martin Neale Lyons

McCluggage Berry Robinson

Our midfield is the perfect mix of A grade senior talent and young up and coming stars. It’s also extremely balanced – all mids can win their own ball (which in finals is extremely important) and can all damage when given space.

Lyons would have to be considered for the All Australian squad in 2020. His inside work has been incredible, but his disposal by foot has gone up a level. He’s everything you want in an inside mid – he rates elite in ground ball gets, clearances, kicks, pressure acts, inside 50’s and intercept possessions. He is every bit as important as Neale when it comes to his work as an inside mid.

Speaking of Neale – the soon-to-be-named-Brownlow-Medalist is an out and out gun. What I love the most about Neale as a player is his ability to take a tag and find ways to impact the game to a high level, even if his touches are limited. He may be a superstar in his own right, it’s his team first mentality that makes him truly elite.

Hugh McCluggage May be struggling to hit the score board this year (hitting the post six odd times doesn’t help!). His ability to weave through traffic and set up scoring shots is incredible. He has an ability very few in the AFL possess in that time seems to slow down when he has the ball. If he can fix his accuracy up, he will be a Brownlow calibre player.

His partner in crime Jarrod Berry has started to well and truly break out as he’s been allowed to spend more time in the middle. The quickfire games seemed to effect his form early on, but his ability to impact the game both in the middle and up forward is becoming less of a rare occurrence and more of an expectation. If we are to go far in finals, we will need his grunt work and scoreboard pressure.

Martins return from injury is a welcome addition to the team, while Mitch Robinson is starting to find his 2019 form which has given many of us supporters big smiles (and opposition wingman nightmares).

Forwards:
Zorko Hipwood Cameron

Rayner McStay McCarthy

If we were to look back to round 13 – fans and media pundits alike spoke of the big question mark on the Lions – their forward line. Last year it was our overreliance on Cameron that cost us. In 2020, it’s our accuracy and lack of a dominant key forward. Turns out all we needed was a bye and our forwards started to hit their straps.

Hipwood has taken a huge step in his work up the field, impacting contest after contest and starting to use his weapons (height + speed) to beat quality defenders. He made an absolute mockery out of Darcy Moore and a few days ago completely outplayed Weitering. To top it off, we’re starting to see Hipwood kick freakish running goals off both feet and playing with the confidence he seemed to be lacking.

His partner in crime Dan McStay has competed week in week out, crashing packs and taking contested marks. His consistency has fluctuated, but nobody (well, at least nobody not named 3KZ is Football ;)) can deny his importance to the team in 2020.

Zorko has been huge for us with his two way running. Even as he edges closer to the end of his career, he plays an incredibly important role. He’s been a supurb leader for the club, especially considering he was thrust into the role out of sheer necessity. He’s handled all the pressure that comes with the role and will need to be at his two way running best, and hopefully start hitting the scoreboard a little more.

McCarthys value to the team cannot be understated. He can play as a leading forward and kick multiple goals a game. Equally, he can tag out opposition back flankers. If all else fails, he can rotate into the middle and win clearances. He is an important jack of all trades in a team built on role playing flexibility.

Cam Rayners starting to show the one thing that many questioned about him – consistency. He is no longer impacting in a cameo role and is showing his presence in at least three or four quarters – be it kicking goals up forward or bulldozing in the middle. One thing that has been extremely impressive is his team first mentality at stoppages, often blocking or protecting other mids, while still knowing when to go himself. He loves the big time, and this will be his moment (first of many) to truly shine.

Charlie Cameron… the best for last. We all know what an in form Charlie Cameron brings to the table, and the past few weeks we have seen Charlie at his best. Has that meant 3 goals a game? No. Does it need to though? Charlies ability to score is a huge asset, but his ability to pressure up the ground, start offensive chains down the wing and hit perfect kicks inside 50 has made him a bigger asset than he was in his AA year in 2019. He will be hard to stop in finals.

(score update – Pies are still chopping and there is only 7 minutes left on the clock. Can’t wait to see the Eagles kill them).

Bench:
Ah Chee Bailey Coleman McInerney

Squads win premierships. Throughout 2020, we’ve had to test our depth more than any year under Fagan. We’ve asked questions of players such as Hinge, Witherden, Answerth, Archie Smith etc and have proven our undefeated NEAFL squad are hungry and waiting in the wings for their opportunities, often capitalising and performing their roles well. None though have been better than Coleman. He exudes X-Factor and has fast become a fan favourite. What he’s brought is extreme pressure, pin point kicking and goal assists. He’s slotted in seamlessly, and while it was very hard to include him over Answerth (who you’d assume would get the spot over Kiddy if we want an extra defender), he just brings something we need and could prove to be a huge asset to the team in finals, especially against Richmond (lol Pies).

I’ve already discussed Ah Chee, but feel he’ll be best used as an intercept defender while Andrews takes on Lynch. If he can chime in with 4-8 intercept marks again, it’ll go a long way at stopping Richmond from scoring and in turn create many opportunities for us to rebound which, along with pressure, is a big part of beating Richmond.

Bailey has enjoyed his breakout season and is starting to get recognition by the footy media. He has elite pressure and is averaging just under a goal a game. I feel he’s got several levels of development left in him which will no doubt be a pleasure to watch for Lions supporters.

Last and certainly not least is the Big O – Oscar Mcinerney. He’s a heart and soul kind of guy – a player we all love watching. Getting the chance to play as the #1 ruck while Stef was injured gave him a tonne of belief and confidence. His arial work is superb and with Stef back can start to have a bigger impact up forward. He will match up extremely well against any Richmond ruckman, so having both he and Martin fit will be a hufe bonus for us.

(game update: lol Pies).

Richmond: How do we beat them?

If you’re reading this, there is every chance you’ve lived through ten years of losing to the yellow and black. It hasn’t been good viewing. Lately though, it feels the winds have begun to change. Richmond are winning, but not convincingly. We’ve been guilty of beating ourselves with poor kicking, whereas a senior team such as Richmond will make you pay every single time.

Is it as simple as tidying up our shots at goal? In some ways, I believe the answer is yes. Statistically, we actually top Richmond in scores, tackles, clearances (both stoppage and centre) and contested possessions. If we play at our best, we will once again generate more scoring shots than Richmond (which will make it the third game in a row to have done so against the Tigers). We absolutely must use our contested dominance to create better shots on goal, and if we do that I can see us getting a second week off and heading to the Prelim.

Of course, it’s easier said than done. Richmond look like an incredibly hungry team and are a proven quality side. They’re extremely well coached and have some superb players. Their lack of a dominant ruck (Nank doesn't look to have much in the tank and Chol is highly unproven) will play to our strengths and if we can dominate centre clearances, we will beat them.

Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton loom as their biggest weapons heading into this match. Head to head we may beat them, but I wouldn’t mind someone like Mitch Robinson staying with Shai at stoppages. Darcy Gardiner will need to be at his best and devote his full attention to Dustin Martin while I see Lester taking on Riewoldt. If Richmond get on top in clearances, I can see us struggling to maintain Riewoldt if Lynch plays. If Lynch doesn’t make it back from his hammy, expect Harris to take Jack and wear him like a glove. Regardless, expect Jack to play for frees and have a cry.

I feel we need to use Birchall and Rich as much as possible when it comes to kicking inside 50. Vlastuin and Grimes will mark every stray kick that comes in, so keeping the ball in the hands of our prime users will be extremely important. I would love to see Rich rotate on the ball at times too – he could be an absolute weapon against Richmonds mids. Up forward, we just need more of the same – Hipwood using his aggression and confidence to run Astbury ragged, McStay to crash packs and mark up the wing, Cameron to kick some motorbike-revving goals, Rayner to become Mr. October and McCarthy to apply his elite pressure (and potentially tag Houli).

Final thoughts

This is by far the most exciting fixture we could have hoped for. If we are to chase down our first flag in 17 years, then we must go one better than Ricky The Dragon Steamboat and climb space mountain and take out the dirtiest players in the game. They may scream “woooooo” but we ******* roar!

Go Lions!​

Hirsty23

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Best match up possible. I think we will absolutely embrace the opportunity.
Daisy Pearce said during tonights broadcast that Port; "won't have things all their own way against Richmond, Geelong or West Coast". The fact that we are consistently left out of these conversations should put an enormous chip on our shoulder. Nobody rates us, stuff em.

LET'S GET IT LIONS!!

I think it is exciting playing the Tigers week 1 - the boys should relish the opportunity.

Until we can beat Richmond, their supporters are right to be confident bordering on arrogant.

But never forget that time Cotchin won the toss and decided to kick into a 10 goal breeze.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Inspiring preview Nunez and great effort to put it together.

But now to reality. No use chest beating ,fist pumping and talking ourselves up until we slay the dragon.

We're ready, our guys know what's required, now all comes down to execution, limiting the opportunities of the opposition and some luck.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lineup changes from round 10 for us assuming Berry and Harris are back:

In: Rich, Birchall, McStay, Martin, Lester, Coleman (?)

Out: Skinner, Ballenden, Payne, Witherden, CEY, Answerth (?)

Cam also did his hammy in the second term.

Richmond also have a number of big ins compared to that game such as potentially Prestia. But our lineup will be miles more experienced especially down back where we had approx 550 games out being filled in by much younger replacements.

I said in the round 10 game thread on the main board pre-game that we were in a uniquely poor spot with our outs and predicted a comfortable Richmond win. Structurally, we are a million miles better with Big O able to spend more time up forward and McStay more likely to offer a contest than skinner. Just quietly too, McStay has been our most accurate goal kicker (overall accuracy of 67%).

I still think we are up against it here, but we have a much better chance.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
If any of the Richmond supporters point to the match earlier this year need to remember that we were coming off a four day break compared to their six day break.

That being said, I still don't think we'll win.

Pardon the intrusion, great preview!

The only thing ill say is you guys winning the centre clearances won't worry us, we tend to get smashed in that area each week.

It boggles my mind but we just don't worry about it.

Is Harris Andrews really a chance for this game? The initial report was 5-6 weeks so seeing his name floated around after 4 weeks caught my eye.

Should be a cracking match and let's hope for no injuries.

What are your restrictions looking like in regards to crowd numbers for finals? Hopefully they can cram a few more in!

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Pardon the intrusion, great preview!

The only thing ill say is you guys winning the centre clearances won't worry us, we tend to get smashed in that area each week.

It boggles my mind but we just don't worry about it.

Is Harris Andrews really a chance for this game? The initial report was 5-6 weeks so seeing his name floated around after 4 weeks caught my eye.

Should be a cracking match and let's hope for no injuries.

What are your restrictions looking like in regards to crowd numbers for finals? Hopefully they can cram a few more in!
How's Lynch looking? Be back won't he?

How's Lynch looking? Be back won't he?
Yeah his one was on the minor side so should be ok.

Having said that, if there is any element of doubt he won't play.

Same applies to Prestia.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Payne was given a bath last time but think he's come a fair way since then. Tough first game. Dustin Martin 10 score involvements in Round 10, ripped us apart. We've never been a tagging team but surely we think about how to negate him a bit more. We went in too tall with Ballenden and Skinner. Think we are a better team than then, we'll find out.

4.17, FMD.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
As I write this, I am watching the Pies choke against Port. Stephenson is being is usual ‘afraid of contact’ self and De Goey has two touches, exposing himself as a down hill skiing flat track bully.

The truth is, it’s not often I’d sit down and watch my two most hated teams play a game of footy, but alas I like all Lions fans want to see us get our first ever minor premiership so we can head into week one of finals against the sissy Cats.

But is that our best opponent? I think not.

The truth is, if we are going to go all the way, it starts with the best. I reached out to the reigning premiers and some old bloke had this to say:

And doesn’t he have a point? If we are going to be the 2020 premiers, at the home of Queensland footy, we absolutely must beat Richmond at one point or another. What better time to do it week one with a returning Harris Andrews?

There are still two quarters of the Prison Bars cup to go so while I wait for that result, let’s look at the boys in maroon, blue and gold and how I see the team lining up:

The Team

Backs:

Lester Andrews Starcevich

Birchall Gardiner Rich

The impact Luke Hodge has had on our back six is undeniable. For a 300 game veteran of the Hawks, he’s left a huge legacy behind at Brisbane in two short years. Our back six are a cohesive unit and is full of leaders.

Dizzy Gardiner is an incredibly underrated defender and has stood up in the absence of Andrews. He’s often forced to play on taller opponents, but when getting the chance to play on small to medium forwards, he starts to shine. Expect him to get Martin assuming Port win. He kept him goalless earlier in the year after all!

Lester has been a revelation, taking Hodges general role and flourishing. His leadership and calm demeanour has been extremely import on field, but during the Covid break had a huge impact on players and is a big reason we came back from the break and have gone on to win all bar two games.

The quartet of Starcevich, Birchall, Ah Chee & Rich have been pivotal to this success. All four bring different weapons, but have an uncanning ability to drive the ball forward with precision. Ah Chee took a while to find confidence, but has stepped up as an intercept marking, hard hitting player and is worth noting he had the third most intercept marks of any player this season against Carlton. Fagans faith is starting to be repaid as we see the player he can be start to shine more and more each week. In similar fashion, Starcevich has built belief and is rarely beaten in one on one contests. Rich is a superstar and as we saw against Carlton, can take games over when playing higher up the ground. Birchall brings a wealth of finals experience and has completed his pre-season and is ready for the real deal!

But what good is our army without its Dad? Harris Andrews looks set to play week one of finals (Peter Blanch I could kiss you!) in what is a huge win for the club. He can intercept, spoil and blanket opposition talls. Whether that’s Tomahawk or Lynch remains to be seen (later in this preview when the game finishes), but regardless of who, we will be well equipped to keep our opposition forwards honest. The intercepting power of Ah Chee, Starcevich and Andrews will prove to be an important part of winning any games of finals.

Mids:
Martin Neale Lyons

McCluggage Berry Robinson

Our midfield is the perfect mix of A grade senior talent and young up and coming stars. It’s also extremely balanced – all mids can win their own ball (which in finals is extremely important) and can all damage when given space.

Lyons would have to be considered for the All Australian squad in 2020. His inside work has been incredible, but his disposal by foot has gone up a level. He’s everything you want in an inside mid – he rates elite in ground ball gets, clearances, kicks, pressure acts, inside 50’s and intercept possessions. He is every bit as important as Neale when it comes to his work as an inside mid.

Speaking of Neale – the soon-to-be-named-Brownlow-Medalist is an out and out gun. What I love the most about Neale as a player is his ability to take a tag and find ways to impact the game to a high level, even if his touches are limited. He may be a superstar in his own right, it’s his team first mentality that makes him truly elite.

Hugh McCluggage May be struggling to hit the score board this year (hitting the post six odd times doesn’t help!). His ability to weave through traffic and set up scoring shots is incredible. He has an ability very few in the AFL possess in that time seems to slow down when he has the ball. If he can fix his accuracy up, he will be a Brownlow calibre player.

His partner in crime Jarrod Berry has started to well and truly break out as he’s been allowed to spend more time in the middle. The quickfire games seemed to effect his form early on, but his ability to impact the game both in the middle and up forward is becoming less of a rare occurrence and more of an expectation. If we are to go far in finals, we will need his grunt work and scoreboard pressure.

Martins return from injury is a welcome addition to the team, while Mitch Robinson is starting to find his 2019 form which has given many of us supporters big smiles (and opposition wingman nightmares).

Forwards:
Zorko Hipwood Cameron

Rayner McStay McCarthy

If we were to look back to round 13 – fans and media pundits alike spoke of the big question mark on the Lions – their forward line. Last year it was our overreliance on Cameron that cost us. In 2020, it’s our accuracy and lack of a dominant key forward. Turns out all we needed was a bye and our forwards started to hit their straps.

Hipwood has taken a huge step in his work up the field, impacting contest after contest and starting to use his weapons (height + speed) to beat quality defenders. He made an absolute mockery out of Darcy Moore and a few days ago completely outplayed Weitering. To top it off, we’re starting to see Hipwood kick freakish running goals off both feet and playing with the confidence he seemed to be lacking.

His partner in crime Dan McStay has competed week in week out, crashing packs and taking contested marks. His consistency has fluctuated, but nobody (well, at least nobody not named 3KZ is Football ;)) can deny his importance to the team in 2020.

Zorko has been huge for us with his two way running. Even as he edges closer to the end of his career, he plays an incredibly important role. He’s been a supurb leader for the club, especially considering he was thrust into the role out of sheer necessity. He’s handled all the pressure that comes with the role and will need to be at his two way running best, and hopefully start hitting the scoreboard a little more.

McCarthys value to the team cannot be understated. He can play as a leading forward and kick multiple goals a game. Equally, he can tag out opposition back flankers. If all else fails, he can rotate into the middle and win clearances. He is an important jack of all trades in a team built on role playing flexibility.

Cam Rayners starting to show the one thing that many questioned about him – consistency. He is no longer impacting in a cameo role and is showing his presence in at least three or four quarters – be it kicking goals up forward or bulldozing in the middle. One thing that has been extremely impressive is his team first mentality at stoppages, often blocking or protecting other mids, while still knowing when to go himself. He loves the big time, and this will be his moment (first of many) to truly shine.

Charlie Cameron… the best for last. We all know what an in form Charlie Cameron brings to the table, and the past few weeks we have seen Charlie at his best. Has that meant 3 goals a game? No. Does it need to though? Charlies ability to score is a huge asset, but his ability to pressure up the ground, start offensive chains down the wing and hit perfect kicks inside 50 has made him a bigger asset than he was in his AA year in 2019. He will be hard to stop in finals.

(score update – Pies are still chopping and there is only 7 minutes left on the clock. Can’t wait to see the Eagles kill them).

Bench:
Ah Chee Bailey Coleman McInerney

Squads win premierships. Throughout 2020, we’ve had to test our depth more than any year under Fagan. We’ve asked questions of players such as Hinge, Witherden, Answerth, Archie Smith etc and have proven our undefeated NEAFL squad are hungry and waiting in the wings for their opportunities, often capitalising and performing their roles well. None though have been better than Coleman. He exudes X-Factor and has fast become a fan favourite. What he’s brought is extreme pressure, pin point kicking and goal assists. He’s slotted in seamlessly, and while it was very hard to include him over Answerth (who you’d assume would get the spot over Kiddy if we want an extra defender), he just brings something we need and could prove to be a huge asset to the team in finals, especially against Richmond (lol Pies).

I’ve already discussed Ah Chee, but feel he’ll be best used as an intercept defender while Andrews takes on Lynch. If he can chime in with 4-8 intercept marks again, it’ll go a long way at stopping Richmond from scoring and in turn create many opportunities for us to rebound which, along with pressure, is a big part of beating Richmond.

Bailey has enjoyed his breakout season and is starting to get recognition by the footy media. He has elite pressure and is averaging just under a goal a game. I feel he’s got several levels of development left in him which will no doubt be a pleasure to watch for Lions supporters.

Last and certainly not least is the Big O – Oscar Mcinerney. He’s a heart and soul kind of guy – a player we all love watching. Getting the chance to play as the #1 ruck while Stef was injured gave him a tonne of belief and confidence. His arial work is superb and with Stef back can start to have a bigger impact up forward. He will match up extremely well against any Richmond ruckman, so having both he and Martin fit will be a hufe bonus for us.

(game update: lol Pies).

Richmond: How do we beat them?

If you’re reading this, there is every chance you’ve lived through ten years of losing to the yellow and black. It hasn’t been good viewing. Lately though, it feels the winds have begun to change. Richmond are winning, but not convincingly. We’ve been guilty of beating ourselves with poor kicking, whereas a senior team such as Richmond will make you pay every single time.

Is it as simple as tidying up our shots at goal? In some ways, I believe the answer is yes. Statistically, we actually top Richmond in scores, tackles, clearances (both stoppage and centre) and contested possessions. If we play at our best, we will once again generate more scoring shots than Richmond (which will make it the third game in a row to have done so against the Tigers). We absolutely must use our contested dominance to create better shots on goal, and if we do that I can see us getting a second week off and heading to the Prelim.

Of course, it’s easier said than done. Richmond look like an incredibly hungry team and are a proven quality side. They’re extremely well coached and have some superb players. Their lack of a dominant ruck (Nank doesn't look to have much in the tank and Chol is highly unproven) will play to our strengths and if we can dominate centre clearances, we will beat them.

Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton loom as their biggest weapons heading into this match. Head to head we may beat them, but I wouldn’t mind someone like Mitch Robinson staying with Shai at stoppages. Darcy Gardiner will need to be at his best and devote his full attention to Dustin Martin while I see Lester taking on Riewoldt. If Richmond get on top in clearances, I can see us struggling to maintain Riewoldt if Lynch plays. If Lynch doesn’t make it back from his hammy, expect Harris to take Jack and wear him like a glove. Regardless, expect Jack to play for frees and have a cry.

I feel we need to use Birchall and Rich as much as possible when it comes to kicking inside 50. Vlastuin and Grimes will mark every stray kick that comes in, so keeping the ball in the hands of our prime users will be extremely important. I would love to see Rich rotate on the ball at times too – he could be an absolute weapon against Richmonds mids. Up forward, we just need more of the same – Hipwood using his aggression and confidence to run Astbury ragged, McStay to crash packs and mark up the wing, Cameron to kick some motorbike-revving goals, Rayner to become Mr. October and McCarthy to apply his elite pressure (and potentially tag Houli).

Final thoughts

This is by far the most exciting fixture we could have hoped for. If we are to chase down our first flag in 17 years, then we must go one better than Ricky The Dragon Steamboat and climb space mountain and take out the dirtiest players in the game. They may scream “woooooo” but we ******* roar!

Go Lions!​

Just wanted to say great review! You are right, its the perfect time to get this game out of the way in your finals campaign.

Just an observation, statistics for us this year are pretty meaningless. We have not had our starting midfield since round 2. The reason we have been winning, though unconvincingly, our main trait, pressure across the whole ground has been coming in fits and spirts as often we would have 2 mids surrounded by kids trying to do the job of a Prestia, Cotchin, Edwards etc. So that has impacted our whole game.

The good news however, we have started getting them back in the last 3 weeks and Prestia should be right for our game.

Looking forward to this and just want no further injuries to either side.

We broke the Collingwood hoodoo this year. Leaving just two hoodoo's left on our list.

1) Beat Richmond

2) Get a finals win.

Two birds, one stone. Let's do this.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Great review Nunez.

but alas I like all Lions fans want to see us get our first ever minor premiership
That really surprised me. I honestly thought you blokes won one or more around the years of your three-peat. That was such an incredible team, I'm shocked they didn't get one at least. Learn something new everyday.

Statistically, we actually top Richmond in scores, tackles, clearances (both stoppage and centre) and contested possessions.
Doesn't basically every team top us in most of the 'important' stats though?

But never forget that time Cotchin won the toss and decided to kick into a 10 goal breeze.

Lol what a horror show. Still have nightmares about that.

I was wondering about Harris and obviously there is still a bit of time to pass, but is it confirmed that he's likely to play the Tiges?
Is there any chance he might miss to get him 100% for the next match? I hope he plays, reckon Brissy V Richmond is the best outcome for a good game of footy which will be even better with the best players on the field.

Great review Nunez.

That really surprised me. I honestly thought you blokes won one or more around the years of your three-peat. That was such an incredible team, I'm shocked they didn't get one at least. Learn something new everyday.

Doesn't basically every team top us in most of the 'important' stats though?

Lol what a horror show. Still have nightmares about that.

I was wondering about Harris and obviously there is still a bit of time to pass, but is it confirmed that he's likely to play the Tiges?
Is there any chance he might miss to get him 100% for the next match? I hope he plays, reckon Brissy V Richmond is the best outcome for a good game of footy which will be even better with the best players on the field.
Hey Genghis, I wondered the same thing about Andrews, but if he plays you would have to think he is 100%

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Hey Genghis, I wondered the same thing about Andrews, but if he plays you would have to think he is 100%
G'day 3K :) yeah reckon you're right. If it was an elimination then I could maybe understand bringing him in a little undone, but when you've got the double chance I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Blokes a gun though, I'm sure he'll do everything to play.

Quite looking forward to the game. Can't see a repeat of last years game happening. Should be a ripper.

If any of the Richmond supporters point to the match earlier this year need to remember that we were coming off a four day break compared to their six day break.

That being said, I still don't think we'll win.
I endorse all of this, albeit reluctantly given the conclusion.

So move all the fans up one end after the toss.

(Fans! Get it?!!) :D

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
The Lions will come out and give it a red hot crack

Their defense is good , their mids are good and their ball transition can be fast but their forward setup is their weakness

Hipwood can go missing or be worked off the ball too easy

I think the Brions best chance is to jump us early

If they don't get an early lead we could open them up later in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back