Preview Finals Week One: Brisbane Lions vs Richmond Tigers @ The Gabba, Friday Oct 2, 7:50pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He's also underdone. I'd back our system in against theirs - the difference will be Dusty and Bolton. Beat them and we win.
Dusty is either unstoppable, great or good. Lets hope he is just in the great or good category for our game/games.
Bolton is the one that appears to open up space and options for Richmond this year and has not been given much attention by opposition teams.
We should put more work into his role as i am sure it may be easier to curb his impact than some of their other midfielders.

Dusty is either unstoppable, great or good. Lets hope he is just in the great or good category for our game/games.
Bolton is the one that appears to open up space and options for Richmond this year and has not been given much attention by opposition teams.
We should put more work into his role as i am sure it may be easier to curb his impact than some of their other midfielders.

Yeah Bolton doesn't worry me in terms of being able to stop. We'll plan for him and think at the very least will neutralise him at stoppages. Dusty is the challenge.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree - our best beats their best.
The issue for us and the thing that makes them so good is they rarely stray from their best and they can maintain it, especially this time of year.

Our best is genuinely electric. But comes out every few weeks for 10-15 minutes. Our ability to hold on and control play has been effective but not sure I’d feel as confident in a final.

It’s an admirable and simple game style they play - they set up well behind the ball, they either make you cough it up at the contest or they will pick it off down the field. They back themselves to win it back and spread at the first sign of a turnover, it’s why battlers like your Caddy’s get on the end of a chain.

Tackling absolutely at the top of must do wells, finding the sweet spot between playing fast yet controlled to get 1v1s is second - get that wrong and it plays into their hands.

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
That and the Rich holding the ball that led to Riewoldt's first goal.

Especially when you compare it to about half way through the first quarter where a Richmond player takes posession in the defensive pocket, tries to run away from Christensen and gets tackled and ends up out of bounds and they pay a throw in.

Not to mention all the shots we missed...

Need to play well enough for long enough that 50/50 calls don’t effect the player’s confidence. Umps are inclined to not pay them against a team on the back foot.

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Need to win first use of the footy and get it forward before they can flood the backline, they are brilliant at setting up behind the ball and stopping run. When we do turn it over need to not give them easy goals, as said above.

I feel like we wasted so many i50s going in shallow and when we went deep we were outnumbered. We need to go to the boundary and get deep throwins as a plan B.

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Lots of things we need to do but if we can limit their run so they are not streaming through the middle and giving lace out passes to their forwards like last time then that will be the big reason we win.

That was totally to do with our bad I50 entries. Need to kick to space more.

Anyone have a link to a stadium map that has all different sections for the different level of tickets. From memory we had some tickets for $93 last year and they were terrible and the following week we got the $65 tickets and they were much better.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Anyone have a link to a stadium map that has all different sections for the different level of tickets. From memory we had some tickets for $93 last year and they were terrible and the following week we got the $65 tickets and they were much better.
See post #210 on page 9 of this thread Gibbo, I wouldn't want one of the front rows as a category 1 purchaser but looks like that is possible and the luck of the draw unfortunately.

I was in section 66 for both finals last year, hopefully I'm lucky again this year and don't get the booby prize of one of the front rows in sections 1 to 11.

That HTB against Rich would have to go down as one of the most gutless and insipid decisions I have ever seen.
The non-HTB against Chapman in the final round of 2013 was more insipid.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Without being "in the know" it is just a bit of guesswork from us members.
The Cricketer's club will have to return any unsold tickets just like any Lions & Richmond allocations that are not sold.
Then they go on sale again/again. The process has been well worked out over the years.
AFL have control of all finals ticketing so they will sell as many as possible.
The section you talk about is "The Verandah".
This section looks like it is actually been extended. I think in name only. See section 14,15 in map below.
The Verandah used to be only section 14. It now extends across the whole goal area unless the map is wrong.
Can't see them ripping up seats in section 15 but who knows. This is a separate ticket category on it's own
Looks like that big advertising sign behind the interchange bench stays put as seating behind is blocked out. A large part of Section 27 plus either side.
Seating map below taken from link to purchase tickets for Lions v Richmond final.

View attachment 971096
I've been to pretty much all of the games this year I think the veranda is smaller, not sure who the sponsor is but certainly the section 13 and 14 has all new seats in it. If they get it out they certainly will fit more and it will add to the atmosphere.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dusty doesn't hurt us as much in the midfield, although I'm sure there is a stat for that, he absolutely kills us when he goes forward, if he can get a one on one then he doesn't miss the goal. To date, we haven't had a defender/tagger that can handle him in the forward half. Am hoping Birchel earns his money and gets us organised around him when he is 'resting' forward.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just wondering if the video on Lions twitter "Our Home - Our Time" is an ad for on tv up there?

Would be a great promotion to the masses to get them on OUR side..and revved up for the GF. A them against us type thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back