Financial Fair Play discussion

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, Liverpool, Victory
My preference was always to fight it in the courts. Missing out on champions league for a few years wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest and I think the cost of doing that wouldn't have been nearly as much as Marcotti says.
Taking it to court is a hollow threat, the only avenue of appeal is CAS for a club.

Not playing in the CL might not bother you but would bother your owners who want Abu Dhabi on display in Europe. It would also affect your ability to sign players even with unlimited resources you have to call on.

No club will be challenging FFP in court. The best any club could hope for is to challenge any FFP penalty in the CAS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s a total mess. I’m sure City would have eventually got success had they played by the rules, and people like me would actually have been ok with it considering they were a club I always had a soft spot for anyway. At this point I’d rather see anyone take them down outside of arsenal - and that might even include Chelsea, such is my disdain for what they have done

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm
It’s a total mess. I’m sure City would have eventually got success had they played by the rules, and people like me would actually have been ok with it considering they were a club I always had a soft spot for anyway. At this point I’d rather see anyone take them down outside of arsenal - and that might even include Chelsea, such is my disdain for what they have done
Would they though? They don't have anywhere near the global appeal of some of the bigger clubs in the Prem and wouldn't have been able to attract the players they have as well as Pep if they played by the rules.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Would be an interesting sliding doors.

I could see it as having an enormous impact on us.

Reckon it would have set us back at least five years in terms of building a squad capable of qualifying for the champions league, and that would have had a significant financial cost in terms of lost revenue from not playing in the champions league (£200m over the five years) and also increased wages to retain players without the lure of being a club at the top.

I'd imagine the likes of Silva, Kompany etc would have moved on to bigger and better things. Aguero would almost certainly never have arrived.

I think by now we would be working up towards the top, but probably still waiting for our first title under the new ownership.

So a real setback, which some would say was exactly what FFP was designed for.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool

Reckon it would have set us back at least five years in terms of building a squad capable of qualifying for the champions league, and that would have had a significant financial cost in terms of lost revenue from not playing in the champions league (£200m over the five years) and also increased wages to retain players without the lure of being a club at the top.

I'd imagine the likes of Silva, Kompany etc would have moved on to bigger and better things. Aguero would almost certainly never have arrived.

I think by now we would be working up towards the top, but probably still waiting for our first title under the new ownership.

Depends on your perspective.

City going from perennially finishing in the bottom half of the table to winning the title in 3 years is the optimal outcome for City supporters, but not necessarily for the entire competition.

Wouldn't have been the end of the world for the club if it had taken you another 5 years to get to where you are, and at least you would have done so playing by the same rules as everyone else, so that success wouldn't come with the asterisk that now sits next to every piece of silverware you've won under Mansour et al.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

So cheating is ok if you end up with trophies. Interesting logic.

At the end of the day FFP allowed unlimited spending on infrastructure & youth. It also allowed reasonable losses to be incurred.

There's a good reason why state based funding of companies is banned in the EU marketplace. It creates an unfair balance of power.

But it seems you've made up your mind that you'll forgive everything all for a few trophies.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Wouldn't have been the end of the world for the club if it had taken you another 5 years to get to where you are, and at least you would have done so playing by the same rules as everyone else, so that success wouldn't come with the asterisk that now sits next to every piece of silverware you've won under Mansour et al.
It is what it is.

If people want to put an asterisk next to our trophies that's fine.

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Whether there's an asterix or not won't change things for City fans. Just like it won't for Storm fans and they were actually stripped of their premierships. Does discussion after the fact take anything away from the pure joy of the Aguero goal?

Nobu

Senior List
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grimsby Town
Whether there's an asterix or not won't change things for City fans. Just like it won't for Storm fans and they were actually stripped of their premierships. Does discussion after the fact take anything away from the pure joy of the Aguero goal?
There are definitely more admirable ways of winning trophies though. You’ve got Leicester’s fairytale on one end of the spectrum, then at the complete opposite end you’ve got City winning the league by circumventing financial fair play rules.

Give me one Leicester title over everything City have achieved since their takeover.

Latro

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
There are definitely more admirable ways of winning trophies though. You’ve got Leicester’s fairytale on one end of the spectrum, then at the complete opposite end you’ve got City winning the league by circumventing financial fair play rules.

Give me one Leicester title over everything City have achieved since their takeover.
Leicester's win is due all the big clubs being awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

That’s not my point though. I’m just saying them being guilty down the track won’t take any of the joy they had at the time away

Nobu

Senior List
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grimsby Town
That’s not my point though. I’m just saying them being guilty down the track won’t take any of the joy they had at the time away
Would you continue to celebrate tainted success?

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Would you continue to celebrate tainted success?
Probably. Because rewatching back that season you’d just be re-living the great memories you had. Wouldn’t be as gloat-able as if it wasn’t though

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
no.

Nobu

Senior List
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grimsby Town
Probably. Because rewatching back that season you’d just be re-living the great memories you had. Wouldn’t be as gloat-able as if it wasn’t though
It's easy to say that because you don't follow City. If Spurs put you through a cheating scandal that exposed fond memories as tainted, I doubt your conscious would let you revisit them in the same light. I'd start questioning my morals if I disregarded/ignored cheating. Winning isn't everything to me though.

Latro

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
It's easy to say that because you don't follow City. If Spurs put you through a cheating scandal that exposed fond memories as tainted, I doubt your conscious would let you revisit them in the same light. I'd start questioning my morals if I disregarded/ignored cheating. Winning isn't everything to me though.
He is a Carlton fan tho.

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
All being an alleged cheat does is make winning not gloatable in the future. Doesn't change the fact that for 9-10 months of that season they had the best time of all supporters or the fact that they got to gloat about it the year after.

Even a proven cheat that wins and gets stripped like Armstrong, Watson & Melbourne Storm they still don't get stripped of the great times they had that year and in the time that followed (until they got caught) and even then they still are in a more enjoyable spot than a side/person that hasn't won at all. Is that fair? No. But that's life

CFC_JP

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
They've struggled to sell out games. Whether that is their supporters taking wins for granted against lower opposition or not i'm not sure. Without cheating the FFP rules they would not have been able to spend the money they have on building this super squad.

chef

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
Thread starter Moderator #272
Without the cheating Liverpool probably would have won the league.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City

Leicester breached FFP in 13/14 fwiw. And had their own creative accounting, Google Trestellar.

Doesn't take away from how wonderful their title win was for me at least.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leicester breached FFP in 13/14 fwiw. And had their own creative accounting, Google Trestellar.

Doesn't take away from how wonderful their title win was for me at least.
Nice try but the EFL states that Leicester didn't deliberately try to manipulate and deceive the rules, they simply overspent.

Man City have tried every trick in the book to deliberately to get around FFP regulations. It's not a case of a club who exceeded FFP by mistake, it was a clear, pre meditated plan to cheat the system rival clubs had to abide by.

Top Bottom