Financial Fair Play discussion

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All being an alleged cheat does is make winning not gloatable in the future. Doesn't change the fact that for 9-10 months of that season they had the best time of all supporters or the fact that they got to gloat about it the year after.

Even a proven cheat that wins and gets stripped like Armstrong, Watson & Melbourne Storm they still don't get stripped of the great times they had that year and in the time that followed (until they got caught) and even then they still are in a more enjoyable spot than a side/person that hasn't won at all. Is that fair? No. But that's life
So it all comes down to being able to “gloat” does it? There’s probably better options than Spurs to support if that’s your fancy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So it all comes down to being able to “gloat” does it? There’s probably better options than Spurs to support if that’s your fancy.
What are you on about?

I'm saying all they can't do by being called cheats is enjoy bragging about it down the track. In the short term after that goal in 2012 these allegations didn't even exist so it's not taking a single thing away from the fans. All it does is give opposition supporters something to hang their hat on.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, Liverpool, Victory
Also Galatasaray have challenged FFP in the CAS after copping a season ban. They failed and any further challenges in the CAS are likely to fail. City / PSG accepted the rules when they participated in UEFA competitions. They admitted fault by accepting a fine. Challenging FFP in court is a non starter for City / PSG.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
How about your supporter base starting to show some remorse/displeasure at the route their club has chosen to go down...
I don't have any remorse so it would be a bit silly to show it.

I know that sounds a bit much but it's just the way I feel. If I thought the rules were created and administered for the good of the game I would think differently. So while I understand some get upset over it I just can't.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What are you on about?

I'm saying all they can't do by being called cheats is enjoy bragging about it down the track. In the short term after that goal in 2012 these allegations didn't even exist so it's not taking a single thing away from the fans. All it does is give opposition supporters something to hang their hat on.
Bragging is one thing, I suppose we are all prone to it to a various extent, but I wouldn’t be bragging if I were a City fan as it’s all been done in a spurious manner. More likely to be slightly humble or even apologetic, but that’s a small price to pay for all the success

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Bragging is one thing, I suppose we are all prone to it to a various extent, but I wouldn’t be bragging if I were a City fan as it’s all been done in a spurious manner. More likely to be slightly humble or even apologetic, but that’s a small price to pay for all the success
That’s basically my point. They’ll still enjoy winning it but be more humble about it because it was done in a dodgy way

chef

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
Thread starter Moderator #292

Thats hardly a punishment TBH, just going to make it easier for them to walk the league again.

Surely point deductions or restriction on spending or prosecution on who did it or a hefty fine is more appropriate?

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm

Thats hardly a punishment TBH, just going to make it easier for them to walk the league again.

Surely point deductions or restriction on spending or prosecution on who did it or a hefty fine is more appropriate?
Of course. They'll probably shake hands on an punishment that suits both parties then it's normal service resumed. I really doubt they'll hold them to anything serious enough that would befit the degree of doping behind the club. This is the way football is run in today's day and age. Money.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The worst thing about the whole saga is the facade created by City claiming the club is sustainable, profitable and compliant with FFP regulations. I recall City publicising quite heavily that the club was in profit on the books. We now know that was an outright barefaced lie with all the income Sheikh Mansour was shovelling in through the back door. This isn't a case of a club who has overspent slightly or has failed FFP because of significant unexpected one off costs. This is a club that knowingly cheated the system that other clubs had to abide by. Opinions on FFP do not matter now - this is cheating of the highest order and right up there with the Juventus corruption scandal. I find it absolutely bizarre that some fans of these clubs can even begin to defend the actions of their clubs.

If UEFA are serious both PSG and Man City must face competition bans for next season. Blatant cheating and corruption cannot be accepted.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

UEFA have no power to ban clubs from their domestic leagues. Only FIFA have the power to ban a club from transfers.

All they can do is exclude them from their competitions and/or fine them.

Those that run both PSG and City do not care about monetary penalties. Competition exclusion is the only real penalty available to UEFA that would have any impact on these two clubs.

Last edited:

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Will UEFA actually kick out the reigning champs?

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Would make for a cracking court case.

Well worth missing a year or two of the champions league

Doubt it comes to that though.

Top Bottom