Financial Fair Play discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lance Armstrong was stripped of 7 titles due to doping. What City have done amounts to the same as what Lance did - gain a completely unfair advantage by systematically cheating. Of course they won’t lose their titles and that does punish the fans who are innocent in this, but really that would put an end to the oil clubs buying trophies once and for all. Instead they’ll cop a fine and carry on as before

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
The stuff thats been leaked isnt enough for you?
Not even close.

For example the Fordham deal everyone looks at and screams according to David Conn, it was declared to UEFA at the time and dealt with.

So where's the breach?

I'd prefer all the facts come out. Would be an interesting case, that's for sure.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, Liverpool, Victory
Would make for a cracking court case.

Well worth missing a year or two of the champions league

Doubt it comes to that though.
CAS is the only avenue a club can take UEFA to court in. Milan had their ban overturned while others didn't. Considering the scope of your cheating I don't like your chances in the CAS.

Not sure why your club can't just accept the ban, stop cheating and comply like everyone else does.

More importantly with your club effectively being a state funded enterprise of the Abu Dhabi government thanks to Mansour' s family pretty much running the government has anyone complained to European authorities about it? Because state based aid is forbidden in the European market.

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Lance Armstrong was stripped of 7 titles due to doping. What City have done amounts to the same as what Lance did - gain a completely unfair advantage by systematically cheating. Of course they won’t lose their titles and that does punish the fans who are innocent in this, but really that would put an end to the oil clubs buying trophies once and for all. Instead they’ll cop a fine and carry on as before
yeah but not really.

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Thanks for that insightful bit of commentary. I do enjoy it when 14 year olds join the fray
you compared systematic doping in a single person sport to spending money on footballers.

who's the 14 year old?

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
you compared systematic doping in a single person sport to spending money on footballers.

who's the 14 year old?
Cheating is cheating Magma, to me there’s little difference between the two examples. The fact City have tried to hide it makes it worse, as obviously they knew what they were doing was bent

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, Liverpool, Victory

who's the 14 year old?

Hang on a second. Your club was disguising money spent by your owner as commercial income so you could flout FFP rules that other clubs had to abide by.

That is financial doping, gaining an unfair advantage over the rest of the competition. Don't try and justify it by just "spending money" - if that's the case you wouldn't have bothered to try and disguise the source of your income. It's every bit as bad. It's why your club is now known as cheaters. Best thing to do would be for Mansour to put his hand up and accept that his actions are unacceptable, deal with the punishment and move on. Whether that will happen with City crying victim is another story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
hiding income is as bad as drugs.

it's going to be bloody funny if this independent review doesnt find anything.

WealstoneRaider

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
hiding income is as bad as drugs.

it's going to be bloody funny if this independent review doesnt find anything.
When you’re are talking about the level of income and the advantage it gives you, then yes basically it is

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
When you’re are talking about the level of income and the advantage it gives you, then yes basically it is
clearly all we need to say is 'we're not that kind of club, we swear on our kids lives' and it'll all be sweet.

just found that money on the ground

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
CAS is the only avenue a club can take UEFA to court in. Milan had their ban overturned while others didn't. Considering the scope of your cheating I don't like your chances in the CAS.

Not sure why your club can't just accept the ban, stop cheating and comply like everyone else does.

More importantly with your club effectively being a state funded enterprise of the Abu Dhabi government thanks to Mansour' s family pretty much running the government has anyone complained to European authorities about it? Because state based aid is forbidden in the European market.
If they've got evidence they should lodge a complaint.

I'm happy for all the cards to be on the table, what will be will be.

chef

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
Thread starter Moderator #319
Yeah i dunno, to me it's still cheating like match fixing or drug taking. Like the NRL clubs do and Carlton/Essendon have.

You are getting an unfair advantage over 19 other clubs who are toeing the FFP line. The rest of us are competing against you with one hand tied behind our backs, Pool fans should be most filthy as its going to cost them 2 prem titles.

RossFC

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Moderator #320
Yeah i dunno, to me it's still cheating like match fixing or drug taking. Like the NRL clubs do and Carlton/Essendon have.

You are getting an unfair advantage over 19 other clubs who are toeing the FFP line. The rest of us are competing against you with one hand tied behind our backs, Pool fans should be most filthy as its going to cost them 2 prem titles.
Do these allegations date back as far as 2013/14? or even before that?

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

surely the unfair advantage isn't that great comparative to having a rich owner regardless.

match fixing has a direct impact on the match. spending more money doesnt guarantee us a win. and drug taking is just ******. it's dangerous and has the potential to ruin people's lives. i seriously dont see how it remotely compares to spending money in a sport.

chef

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
Thread starter Moderator #323
surely the unfair advantage isn't that great comparative to having a rich owner regardless.

match fixing has a direct impact on the match. spending more money doesnt guarantee us a win. and drug taking is just ******. it's dangerous and has the potential to ruin people's lives. i seriously dont see how it remotely compares to spending money in a sport.
I guess because there is a rule that is being broken, giving you an unfair advantage that no one else is getting. Which is cheating to me.

To me FFP was bought in to curb us, you guys and PSG and it seems we are the only ones that took it seriously. Maybe thats what gets me triggered about this.

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm
It's pretty interesting that Sham City claim to be self-sufficient. Imagine the Shiekh packed up and left the club tomorrow. Would they still be able to afford to keep their current squad with the wages they're on without all the money being funneled in through the back door? I doubt it.

Thistle

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory

This. Chelsea have clearly put in measures to comply that has with FFP so if City's cheating proves true it's a kick in the face to what we and other clubs have done.
I guess because there is a rule that is being broken, giving you an unfair advantage that no one else is getting. Which is cheating to me.

To me FFP was bought in to curb us, you guys and PSG and it seems we are the only ones that took it seriously. Maybe thats what gets me triggered about this.
Yup, we have clearly changed our strategy and spending to comply with FFP since it was announced.

While I think long term it's been beneficial for our sustainability, it has certainly hampered our ability to compete with the best of the best. So City continuing to do as they please without punishment is a slap in the face.

Top Bottom