Zidane and Moomba's FFP chat.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
adl always wants money up front, and lots of it. if he's been turning down 100 mil for koulibaly, and after getting 50 mil for jorginho, he'd want about 70 mil upfront for allan. a dodgy sponsorship to pay off a transfer fee over some years would mean nothing to him.

78DFE847-D836-44A9-8EDC-413DA8BEDFFE.jpeg

I think the problem for Liverpool in this set of accounts (if there can be a problem with a £100m+ profit is that it's almost entirely down to a profit on player trading (£124m). You don't want to be selling a Coutinho, Mane, VVD, Salah etc every year.

And that was a year when they made a champions League final. This Bayern Munich tie might be more important to the bottom line than we think.

Especially as the wage bill would have increased a fair bit with the signings of Allison, Keita, Fabinho etc as well as a few increased/improved deals for existing players.

But £100m is going to make a fair dent in the cost of stadium redevelopment which will help the bottom line for years to come.

Last edited:

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees

It’s very difficult to get an accurate gauge on City’s actual wage bill, given the number of entities in the Group that expenses are shuffled around in.

But Liverpool’s increase is understandable given the recent investment in their squad. Thought Arsenal’s would be a tad higher too.

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory
It’s very difficult to get an accurate gauge on City’s actual wage bill, given the number of entities in the Group that expenses are shuffled around in.

But Liverpool’s increase is understandable given the recent investment in their squad. Thought Arsenal’s would be a tad higher too.
Man City taking the piss.

From memory it's about £20m in wages that are paid by other companies (City Football Services and City Football Marketing) and charged back to the club.

2018 figures for the subsidiaries should be out in March.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think the problem for Liverpool in this set of accounts (if there can be a problem with a £100m+ profit is that it's almost entirely down to a profit on player trading (£124m). You don't want to be selling a Coutinho, Mane, VVD, Salah etc every year.

And that was a year when they made a champions League final. This Bayern Munich tie might be more important to the bottom line than we think.

Especially as the wage bill would have increased a fair bit with the signings of Allison, Keita, Fabinho etc as well as a few increased/improved deals for existing players.

But £100m is going to make a fair dent in the cost of stadium redevelopment which will help the bottom line for years to come.

I highly doubt we received the full whack of the Coutinho transfer fee up front, and without having gone through the report with a fine toothed comb would expect more of the uplift in income came from our run to the CL final and associated broadcast revenue / prize money, but aside from that I agree with everything else you’ve said.

I’m grateful as a fan that the owners have chosen to re-invest so much of this short term windfall (the Coutinho sale, the CL final, etc) back into the squad, giving us a better chance to make this uplift more sustainable in the mid-long term, in turn giving us a better chance of continuing to challenge for and (with any luck) win silverware.

Looking at other clubs and indeed our own experience under Hicks & Gillett, owners don’t always operate like that. City fans are fortunate in that respect too, albeit through a slightly different business model.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see how much their other clubs get out of that £650m from Puma. Another way around FFP?
I'd reckon about 90% of it will.be ours. Uruguayan, Australian and Chinese shirt deals aren't worth a whole lot. Girona probably the next biggest chunk.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Mail’s got an article up on this. Can’t see a CL ban coming though city just got too much $$$$$ to let that happen and we know how corrupt those who run the game are

City face CL ban as new leaks reveal how they 'got around UEFA rules'
https://mol.im/a/6764643

From the sounds of it (latest Der Spiegel) none of the authorities are using the hacked material and there isn't currently an investigation.

Which if true would be a shame. I'd rather get it all out in the open and avoid the drip feed of leaks.

Back