Financial Fair Play discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chef

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
Thread starter Moderator #403
Be interesting to see how much their other clubs get out of that £650m from Puma. Another way around FFP?

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Be interesting to see how much their other clubs get out of that £650m from Puma. Another way around FFP?
I'd reckon about 90% of it will.be ours. Uruguayan, Australian and Chinese shirt deals aren't worth a whole lot. Girona probably the next biggest chunk.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, Liverpool, Victory
If that document is genuine it is pretty damning for City / Sheikh Mansour & co. At the very least it should put an end to the particular subset of the City fan group who defend the clubs actions no matter how blatant their cheating appears to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
From the sounds of it (latest Der Spiegel) none of the authorities are using the hacked material and there isn't currently an investigation.

Which if true would be a shame. I'd rather get it all out in the open and avoid the drip feed of leaks.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
The FA won't be able to use most of it.

It was obtained illegally.

Much of it is legally privileged.

There's no context, and no way of proving that the material hasn't been altered, or made up.

I'd say that despite the sensationalism in Der Spiegel a lot of the material contains information already known to the authorities.

Unless Football Leaks were prepared to burn their sources the 70m documents are no more than gossip legally speaking.

If I was the FA I'd want a nosy anyway, just for interests sake. See what clubs are doing. But there's not much they can do with it.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
UEFA are not beholden to a court of law so it should not matter how the documents were obtained. Just whether they are legitimate or not. And they can do something - ban cheats like PSG / City for next season's CL.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
UEFA are not beholden to a court of law so it should not matter how the documents were obtained. Just whether they are legitimate or not. And they can do something - ban cheats like PSG / City for next season's CL.
Of course they are. If they charge a club using inadmissable material and that club appeals to CAS or higher they'll win.

And the FA will have wasted a small fortune on the exercise.

Unless Football Leaks hand over all of their material, and provide detail of how it was obtained they'll have an impossible time proving the docs are legitimate let alone admissable.

Bojan KantKick

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
The FA won't be able to use most of it.

It was obtained illegally.

Much of it is legally privileged.

There's no context, and no way of proving that the material hasn't been altered, or made up.

I'd say that despite the sensationalism in Der Spiegel a lot of the material contains information already known to the authorities.

Unless Football Leaks were prepared to burn their sources the 70m documents are no more than gossip legally speaking.

If I was the FA I'd want a nosy anyway, just for interests sake. See what clubs are doing. But there's not much they can do with it.
I was more reading it from the view that the governing bodies don't really give a shit about ffp breaches by financially wealthy clubs.

I think the evidence to date shows that they would rather punish middling to lower teams instead.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
I was more reading it from the view that the governing bodies don't really give a shit about ffp breaches by financially wealthy clubs.

I think the evidence to date shows that they would rather punish middling to lower teams instead.
I suspect it's all a bit hard for the FA. 70m docs uses a lot of resources and I think they'd rather it all go away.

I'm not sure there's much info there that would prove an FA offence anyway.

UEFA might be more inclined to have a look but my gut feeling is they'd rather it all go away too.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Of course they are. If they charge a club using inadmissable material and that club appeals to CAS or higher they'll win.

And the FA will have wasted a small fortune doing so.
Inadmissible. You make it sound like it would be heard in a criminal court. It is UEFA, they have their own disciplinary/ ethics committee or whatever it is called to decide on punishment for shit like City / PSG are guilty of.

You can appeal to CAS but again that is more of a tribunal / arbitration type setup.

City could attempt to sue UEFA for damages in criminal court. Finding a judge to accept there is a case may be just a tad difficult though.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Inadmissible. You make it sound like it would be heard in a criminal court. It is UEFA, they have their own disciplinary/ ethics committee or whatever it is called to decide on punishment for shit like City / PSG are guilty of.

You can appeal to CAS but again that is more of a tribunal / arbitration type setup.

City could attempt to sue UEFA for damages in criminal court. Finding a judge to accept there is a case may be just a tad difficult though.
You can't sue for damages in a criminal court. But you can in a civil court and UEFA, like everyone else is subject to the laws of the land and due process.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You can't sue for damages in a criminal court. But you can in a civil court and UEFA, like everyone else is subject to the laws of the land and due process.
UEFA's disciplinary decisions are not subject to any court. They are free to use any evidence they wish.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
UEFA's disciplinary decisions are not subject to any court. They are free to use any evidence they wish.
Which they won't do because they know that when it goes to appeal where due process and judicial laws exist they'll get laughed out of court.

I'd love for them to try it. But it would cost them a packet.

And I suspect they'll be asked a whole lot more questions about FFP they don't want to answer.

TBH I think it would be the best thing for the integrity of the game. Get it all out in the open. Both sides, and then what will be will be.

Last edited:

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Which they won't do because they know that when it goes to appeal where due process and judicial laws exist they'll get laughed out of court.

I'd love for them to try it. But it would cost them a packet.

And I suspect they'll be asked a whole lot more questions about FFP they don't want to answer.

TBH I think it would be the best thing for the integrity of the game. Get it all out in the open. Both sides, and then what will be will be.
The best thing for the integrity of the game would be if the likes of City / PSG didnt blatantly cheat.

The judicial system in general doesn't get involved in sporting decisions. Yet to find an example of it happening for good reason.

Top Bottom