Zidane and Moomba's FFP chat.

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
There are definitely more admirable ways of winning trophies though. You’ve got Leicester’s fairytale on one end of the spectrum, then at the complete opposite end you’ve got City winning the league by circumventing financial fair play rules.

Give me one Leicester title over everything City have achieved since their takeover.
Leicester's win is due all the big clubs being awful.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
There are definitely more admirable ways of winning trophies though. You’ve got Leicester’s fairytale on one end of the spectrum, then at the complete opposite end you’ve got City winning the league by circumventing financial fair play rules.

Give me one Leicester title over everything City have achieved since their takeover.
That’s not my point though. I’m just saying them being guilty down the track won’t take any of the joy they had at the time away

Nobu

Senior List
Nov 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grimsby Town
That’s not my point though. I’m just saying them being guilty down the track won’t take any of the joy they had at the time away
Would you continue to celebrate tainted success?

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Whether there's an asterix or not won't change things for City fans. Just like it won't for Storm fans and they were actually stripped of their premierships. Does discussion after the fact take anything away from the pure joy of the Aguero goal?
no.

Nobu

Senior List
Nov 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grimsby Town
Probably. Because rewatching back that season you’d just be re-living the great memories you had. Wouldn’t be as gloat-able as if it wasn’t though
It's easy to say that because you don't follow City. If Spurs put you through a cheating scandal that exposed fond memories as tainted, I doubt your conscious would let you revisit them in the same light. I'd start questioning my morals if I disregarded/ignored cheating. Winning isn't everything to me though.

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
It's easy to say that because you don't follow City. If Spurs put you through a cheating scandal that exposed fond memories as tainted, I doubt your conscious would let you revisit them in the same light. I'd start questioning my morals if I disregarded/ignored cheating. Winning isn't everything to me though.
He is a Carlton fan tho.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
All being an alleged cheat does is make winning not gloatable in the future. Doesn't change the fact that for 9-10 months of that season they had the best time of all supporters or the fact that they got to gloat about it the year after.

Even a proven cheat that wins and gets stripped like Armstrong, Watson & Melbourne Storm they still don't get stripped of the great times they had that year and in the time that followed (until they got caught) and even then they still are in a more enjoyable spot than a side/person that hasn't won at all. Is that fair? No. But that's life

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
It’s a total mess. I’m sure City would have eventually got success had they played by the rules, and people like me would actually have been ok with it considering they were a club I always had a soft spot for anyway. At this point I’d rather see anyone take them down outside of arsenal - and that might even include Chelsea, such is my disdain for what they have done

They've struggled to sell out games. Whether that is their supporters taking wins for granted against lower opposition or not i'm not sure. Without cheating the FFP rules they would not have been able to spend the money they have on building this super squad.

Leicester breached FFP in 13/14 fwiw. And had their own creative accounting, Google Trestellar.

Doesn't take away from how wonderful their title win was for me at least.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Leicester breached FFP in 13/14 fwiw. And had their own creative accounting, Google Trestellar.

Doesn't take away from how wonderful their title win was for me at least.

Nice try but the EFL states that Leicester didn't deliberately try to manipulate and deceive the rules, they simply overspent.

Man City have tried every trick in the book to deliberately to get around FFP regulations. It's not a case of a club who exceeded FFP by mistake, it was a clear, pre meditated plan to cheat the system rival clubs had to abide by.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All being an alleged cheat does is make winning not gloatable in the future. Doesn't change the fact that for 9-10 months of that season they had the best time of all supporters or the fact that they got to gloat about it the year after.

Even a proven cheat that wins and gets stripped like Armstrong, Watson & Melbourne Storm they still don't get stripped of the great times they had that year and in the time that followed (until they got caught) and even then they still are in a more enjoyable spot than a side/person that hasn't won at all. Is that fair? No. But that's life
So it all comes down to being able to “gloat” does it? There’s probably better options than Spurs to support if that’s your fancy.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
So it all comes down to being able to “gloat” does it? There’s probably better options than Spurs to support if that’s your fancy.
What are you on about?

I'm saying all they can't do by being called cheats is enjoy bragging about it down the track. In the short term after that goal in 2012 these allegations didn't even exist so it's not taking a single thing away from the fans. All it does is give opposition supporters something to hang their hat on.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Also Galatasaray have challenged FFP in the CAS after copping a season ban. They failed and any further challenges in the CAS are likely to fail. City / PSG accepted the rules when they participated in UEFA competitions. They admitted fault by accepting a fine. Challenging FFP in court is a non starter for City / PSG.

How about your supporter base starting to show some remorse/displeasure at the route their club has chosen to go down...
I don't have any remorse so it would be a bit silly to show it.

I know that sounds a bit much but it's just the way I feel. If I thought the rules were created and administered for the good of the game I would think differently. So while I understand some get upset over it I just can't.

Last edited:
Back