Opinion Financial impact on structure of Port, the AFL and long lasting Covid issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe the AFL will have to start charging admission to the women's matches? Surely the women's comp has been going for long enough to start supporting itself and the AFL should not be in the business of propping up side shows at the expense of the main event. Money that is going into supporting the women's comp isn't coming to clubs like Port.

They will struggled to get 17 rounds in. Grounds where cricket is played will become unavailable for the T20 World Cup if they have to play once it starts, ie 18 October to 15 November. Perth Stadium, Adelaide Oval, MCG, Geelong, Hobart, SCG and Gabba in Brisbane all will be out of action.

This may be of interest.

Sheedy has suggested to make up the $$$ lost and give more content to broadcasters, play 28 minor round games for 3 years instead of 22 and play each team 5 times over 3 years - which would mean 1 season is 29 games.

Some will say bloody Sheedy again. But his rational is sound. Seasons used to have night series/preseason games. He said his first year in 1981 he coached in 5 night series games plus 22 minor round games for 27 games when players were part timers.

I remember looking at games played in the SANFL when the whole debate about how SANFL counted its games for the father son rules and saw that in 1988 I think it was, Peter Carey played 31 games which was added to his total games played total ie 5 preseason cup games + 22 minor round games + 4 finals.

If part timers could play so many games I'm sure full time professionals could handle it with altered specific training schedules.

Plenty of people say that the gap between end of season and start of new season is too long. This is one way to reduce it and see if players can handle it.

The issue is if one side after 10 games has won 0 or 1 game it will be a long 18 games without the prospect of making finals. That's why it could be tried for 3 years but not become a permanent thing.

If this happens then every club should be allowed to play 2 of their 14 home games away from their normal home ground stadium, if they want to and can negotiate better stadium deals for those games.

That way we could play a home game in China and a home game at Alberton - provided some upgrades are put in. China might be put on hold for 2 or 3 years so that would be 2 games at Alberton which gives us the chance to make some decent $$$$ from those games with no greedy SMA involved, but they get an extra home game to help them as we would play 12 instead of 11 at AO.

If its good enough to play in minor round games at stadiums like Alice Springs, Ballarat, Cairns why not Alberton??

It also would mean all 18 teams have an AFLW team as Sheedy wants double headers in March.

Kevin Sheedy says 28-round home and away seasons in each of the next three years would help save football

Part of Kevin Sheedy's long-term scheduling plan would include:

* Scrapping the pre-season series;

* Starting before the NRL season;

* Playing games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights;

* Quarters remaining at 16 minutes each plus time-on;

* Six players per team on interchange;

* AFLW games being played as a double-header with the men’s matches throughout March.
Have to run it past Patrick Dangerfield first. Too much time away from the family and all.

I dont like Sheedy's attempt at revolutionising the game again. Seriously, 5 games of a preseason competition does not equate to 6 games where 4 points are on the table even with 16 minute quarters. Nor comparing amateur to professionals as well. This game is taxing. Probably extra 2 games is possible but otherwise I think the negatives outweigh the positives. 6 is too many.

28 minor round games that matter for 4 points? With Hinkley as coach? The agony of 22 rounds is enough.

Hoping this is only that obnoxious fat cue ball Jarmoron talking out of his asa here. Would he devastated as a lover of all things Aussie Rules and Historic clubs for Port Magpies to go under.

Very happy to buy a membership to The Port Magpies/Donate Money if such a fundraiser is needed to help keep you/them afloat in the SANFL.

i do hope this is just another bullshit story by that attention seeking twatwaffle in Jars though.

All the best to Port Adelaide (both the Power and Pies) going forwards :)

Hoping this is only that obnoxious fat cue ball Jarmoron talking out of his asa here. Would he devastated as a lover of all things Aussie Rules and Historic clubs for Port Magpies to go under.

Very happy to buy a membership to The Port Magpies/Donate Money if such a fundraiser is needed to help keep you/them afloat in the SANFL.

i do hope this is just another bullshit story by that attention seeking twatwaffle in Jars though.

Isn't this the twat who said he'd put his house on Clarko coaching the Crows a few Crows coaches ago?

I dont like Sheedy's attempt at revolutionising the game again. Seriously, 5 games of a preseason competition does not equate to 6 games where 4 points are on the table even with 16 minute quarters. Nor comparing amateur to professionals as well. This game is taxing. Probably extra 2 games is possible but otherwise I think the negatives outweigh the positives. 6 is too many.

28 minor round games that matter for 4 points? With Hinkley as coach? The agony of 22 rounds is enough.

Clubs have lists of ~45. Keep it that way and start actually making use of that rather than playing the same 22 players every game. Problem solved.

"Respected SANFL official". The Lols.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't this the twat who said he'd put his house on Clarko coaching the Crows a few Crows coaches ago?
Jars has no bloody idea.
If the SANFL push out Port & Adelaide, then they have no right to make any money from all AFL games at Adelaide Oval, when things get back to normal. Simple.

"Jars also believes that the Crows won't be part of the SANFL, Leaving only eight sides in the competition."

🤔

"Jars also believes that the Crows won't be part of the SANFL, Leaving only eight sides in the competition."

🤔
Does Jars elaborate on how having no AFL reserves teams in the SANFL competition would make it stronger post COVID?

Not being in SA, I have no idea how popular the SANFL is. I am aware of it because my team plays in it. If it didn't, I would have zero interest. Am I in a majority in this regard, or does it have a good following in Adelaide?

It's been on a decline year after year after year.
The GF always draws a crowd but most weeks your be looking at 2-3k people. 5k would be considered very large.

Of course, this is all the AFL clubs fault.

It's been on a decline year after year after year.
The GF always draws a crowd but most weeks your be looking at 2-3k people. 5k would be considered very large.

Of course, this is all the AFL clubs fault.
So basically without the participation of the AFL Clubs, it would have the status of a local amateur league?

Clubs have lists of ~45. Keep it that way and start actually making use of that rather than playing the same 22 players every game. Problem solved.

If you like that definition in Australia's semi-unique sport. It won't mean that your best talents will play 28 minor round games year after year.

Whenever a football crisis is circulating in SA they all bring up the old "No Port Magpies in the sanfl" line. The Port Adelaide Magpies is the Port Adelaide AFL club. It's not a different separate club. Jars is incapable of understanding this. So the real topic should be whether the sanfl will continue including the AFL clubs Port Adelaide and Adelaide in its competition?

He said for 3 years - to help wipe out clubs' and AFL debt. I don't want to see it forever but I'd give it a go for at least 2021 and if went ok then do it for 1 or 2 more years, but that's all, as it's there for a specific reason

Whenever a football crisis is circulating in SA they all bring up the old "No Port Magpies in the sanfl" line. The Port Adelaide Magpies is the Port Adelaide AFL club. It's not a different separate club. Jars is incapable of understanding this. So the real topic should be whether the sanfl will continue including the AFL clubs Port Adelaide and Adelaide in its competition?
Yes well put. The Port Adelaide Football Club graduated to the AFL, its B grade plays in the SANFL against other clubs A grade.

The Magpies in the SANFL aren't the Magpies of old. They are the B grade without recruiting zones since end of 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back