Opinion Financial impact on structure of Port, the AFL and long lasting Covid issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Whenever a football crisis is circulating in SA they all bring up the old "No Port Magpies in the sanfl" line. The Port Adelaide Magpies is the Port Adelaide AFL club. It's not a different separate club. Jars is incapable of understanding this. So the real topic should be whether the sanfl will continue including the AFL clubs Port Adelaide and Adelaide in its competition?
SANFL nuffs don't consider Adelaide being in the competition anyway.

Hoping this is only that obnoxious fat cue ball Jarmoron talking out of his asa here. Would he devastated as a lover of all things Aussie Rules and Historic clubs for Port Magpies to go under.

Very happy to buy a membership to The Port Magpies/Donate Money if such a fundraiser is needed to help keep you/them afloat in the SANFL.

i do hope this is just another bullshit story by that attention seeking twatwaffle in Jars though.

All the best to Port Adelaide (both the Power and Pies) going forwards :)

Given Andrew Jarman's track record, the existence of this report is great news for the club. I'd be more concerned if he'd said that the Magpies would be back in 2021.

He said for 3 years - to help wipe out clubs' and AFL debt. I don't want to see it forever but I'd give it a go for at least 2021 and if went ok then do it for 1 or 2 more years, but that's all, as it's there for a specific reason

Could it mean that the ratio of non Vic clubs travelling interstate to Vic clubs playing more games inside Victoria increases?

Could it mean that the ratio of non Vic clubs travelling interstate to Vic clubs playing more games inside Victoria increases?
Yes. His plan was that everyone plays each other 5 times in 3 years which would mean 1 season would be 29 games.

So lets assume Port pay 5 Vic teams 3 times in Victoria. and 2 at home and 5 Vic teams 3 times at home and 2 in Victoria

So that's 3x5 + 2x5 = 25 games in Victoria over 3 years assuming no games in China vs max 5 games a year Victoria under current system = 15 games.

So ignoring Tassie, Canberra and other 2nd grounds 28+28+29 games = 85 games. Assume Port get 3 home show downs and 43 home games and 42 away games. Split should be

SA 45 43 home games and 2 away showdowns
Vic 25
Qld 5 play one Qld side away 3 times the other side away 2
NSW 5 play one NSW side away 3 times the other side away 2
WA 5 one WA side away 3 times the other side away 2
=====
Tot 85

All this is obviously contingent on some moron on another continent not consuming biohazardous wildlife and sending us right back to this point or worse within 18 months-5 years.

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd sample the succulent delight that is a Civet Cat Shashlik.

Hoping this is only that obnoxious fat cue ball Jarmoron talking out of his asa here. Would he devastated as a lover of all things Aussie Rules and Historic clubs for Port Magpies to go under.

Very happy to buy a membership to The Port Magpies/Donate Money if such a fundraiser is needed to help keep you/them afloat in the SANFL.

i do hope this is just another bullshit story by that attention seeking twatwaffle in Jars though.

All the best to Port Adelaide (both the Power and Pies) going forwards :)
We have like 10 SANFL listed players that get paid next to nothing, while the 40-odd other players are AFL listed and make up the majority of the SANFL side.

It's the SANFL and its other clubs trying to kick us out, not financial reasons.

Can someone tell me where this talk even came from? Executive General Manager Matthew Richardson is claiming it's all external noise, but the earliest I've heard of this being brought up was Keith Thomas 3 weeks ago on radio.

Can someone tell me where this talk even came from? Executive General Manager Matthew Richardson is claiming it's all external noise, but the earliest I've heard of this being brought up was Keith Thomas 3 weeks ago on radio.
Thomas was worried the SANFL wouldn't survive! His argument was that without the SANFL, then we might be forced to lose the Magpies (since there would be no league for it to play in).

On Monday the 30th March on Footy Classified Sam McClure in his segment reported on the CEO's being formed into 3 group to work through issues to help "save" the game. Here is a screen print and you see our lame duck CEO was put into the least important group - state leagues. here is the tweet wording.

Footy on Nine

@FootyonNine

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1244583740594151424
"At a time of the year where a lot of the 18 CEO's would be hiding their intellectual property...they've all gone the other way."@sam_mcclure details the 'footy brains trust' that has seen all 18 club CEO's join forces to help save the game.#9FootyClassified | Watch @channel9

1587468526411.png

Since then KT has been asked about the SANFL Magpies.

On 29th march Centrals CEO since the Don Dunstan era, they might go under set up a go fund me page for $250k a few days later West Adelaide set one up for $50k.

30th March KT goes on Kornes morning show so he gets asked about it and not being prepared to cut it off gives a reasonable but nondescript answer which means every dickhead will then ask if the Magpies might not survive.

Speaking on SEN SA Breakfast on Monday morning, Thomas said despite the uncertainty the club is ‘committed’ to seeing it through in the SANFL.

“I would hate to contemplate that the Port Magpies won’t get through. We are committed to it in the SANFL, but we’ll have to wait and see.’’ Thomas said. “The reality is we have to see where this lands, I don’t know how the SANFL is planning to move through it. “It’s too early in the conversation to fully understand what’s going to happen to football in general.

I am pretty sure that is all he has said on the matter, but given there is great vacuum of lack of footy news the Tsier and every other media outlet runs with it, speculation of who might or might not survive and most talk back program hosts and callers on sports programs are too dumb to realize that if the PAFC survives then they will need to have a side where players not picked in the AFL side need to play, there is no money for national reserves comp and all clubs whether total ists in 2021 are cut from max of 47, to 44 or 39 or 35 will have to have a 2nd side and there is nothing stop them paying supplementary players $200-$500 to make up the B grade.

Buckley is interviewed for 150th about his past and as a combo of 150th stories the Tsier is running and Port would be playing Collingwood this weekend ( last week) they ask about the magpies and gets reported as wow is me if they killed off my old club not knowing what the facts are.

The sanfl is starting on May 31. Will we be playing?

Even apart from the viability question, will the AFL (Eddie) complain about an unfair advantage if there is no VFL season?

Last edited:
The sanfl is starting on May 31. Will we be playing?

Even apart from the viability question, will the AFL (Eddie) complain about an unfair advantage?
5 Sunday games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I would hate to contemplate that the Port Magpies won’t get through. We are committed to it in the SANFL, but we’ll have to wait and see.’’ Thomas said. “The reality is we have to see where this lands, I don’t know how the SANFL is planning to move through it."

I don't know how this is translated into the Magpies being in trouble. Sounds more to me like the sanfl are at risk of going under.

This post could belong in any number of different threads - I didn't hear Chairman Moi's interview on the ABC, so don't know what questions he was asked about the China strategy, but this Crapel article doesn't really say what the lurid headline is suggesting:

“I’ve actually got no idea (how that will look),’’ he said.

“We will discuss with the AFL, State and Federal governments and our partners who support us in China about the future of it.

“Our whole China strategy originally was not predicated on having a game.

“We’ll have to assess that coming out (of the pandemic) but at the moment, in terms of priorities, it’s not a massive priority for us to make a decision on.

“If we do the game again at the same time (May), it’s well over a year away and a lot can happen in a year, so I’m not sure.

“The thing that hasn’t changed is that China is still Australia’s biggest customer and biggest trading partner, so it’s still a significant part of the Australian business, political and economic sector.’’

“I’ve actually got no idea (how that will look),’’ he said. “We will discuss with the AFL, State and Federal governments and our partners who support us in China about the future of it.

“Our whole China strategy originally was not predicated on having a game.

“We’ll have to assess that coming out (of the pandemic) but at the moment, in terms of priorities, it’s not a massive priority for us to make a decision on. “If we do the game again at the same time (May), it’s well over a year away and a lot can happen in a year, so I’m not sure.

“The thing that hasn’t changed is that China is still Australia’s biggest customer and biggest trading partner, so it’s still a significant part of the Australian business, political and economic sector.’’

We don't have to play a game in China in 2021 or 2022 IMHO, but can concentrate on the other stuff we have always had in mind to do around China, ie commercial partnerships and cultural engagement. There are still plenty of commercial opportunities down the track, unless the Chinese decided to cut off Oz at the knees because we want some accountability over Covid-19. China strategy has always been about the long game. The last couple of months proves it. It has been made tougher but not impossible.

The Chinese ambassador to Oz and Beijing have threatened to make it tougher but if they want the minerals and foods we have supplied them, they wont readily replace these goods with countries who wont be hard on them - USA, Canada, Brazil, EU etc. Education and Tourism is another matter. This was what he said in an exclusive one on one with the AFR.

China consumer backlash looms over Morrison's coronavirus probe
Beijing's ambassador has warned the Morrison government that its pursuit of an independent inquiry into the coronavirus pandemic could spark a Chinese consumer boycott of students and tourists visiting Australia, as well as sales of popular agricultural exports like beef and wine.

In an exclusive interview with The Australian Financial Review, Chinese Ambassador to Australia Cheng Jingye denounced Prime Minister Scott Morrison's push for an inquiry as "dangerous" and predicted it would fail to gain traction among global leaders.

"Resorting to suspicion, recrimination or division at such a critical time could only undermine global efforts to fight against this pandemic," he said.

Mr Cheng also refused to accept that the virus had started in a Wuhan "wet market", claiming the scientific jury remained out on its origins.

Mr Morrison and Foreign Minister Marise Payne last week launched a push for an independent investigation into the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, amid accusations the world lost precious weeks to respond to the crisis because China covered up the seriousness of the disease.
Mr Morrison has broached the issue in conversations with a number of leaders, including US President Donald Trump, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.UK, French and European Union officials have indicated their priority is fighting the pandemic, which has been much more serious in the northern hemisphere, but have agreed there is a need for lessons to be learnt.Mr Cheng, in his first comments on the COVID-19 crisis, said there would come a time for every country to look back and see how they could be better equipped to fight a future pandemic."No country is perfect with dealing with such a serious epidemic," he said.
Mr Cheng would not be drawn on whether iron ore, coal or gas exports would be affected by anti-Australian sentiment but indicated consumer products could be vulnerable.

"The Chinese public is frustrated, dismayed and disappointed with what Australia is doing now," he said. "I think in the long term... if the mood is going from bad to worse, people would think 'Why should we go to such a country that is not so friendly to China? The tourists may have second thoughts. "The parents of the students would also think whether this place which they found is not so friendly, even hostile, whether this is the best place to send their kids here.

"It is up to the people to decide. Maybe the ordinary people will say 'Why should we drink Australian wine? Eat Australian beef?'"

Mr Cheng did not repeat the conspiracy theory pushed last month by the Chinese Foreign Ministry that the virus was brought into Wuhan by a US soldier but maintained there was no proof it crossed over from animals to humans in one of the country's "wet markets". "Some politicians here claim the virus originated in Wuhan, China, which is not the case. The fact that the epidemic first broke out in China... does not mean the source of the virus originated in China," he said.

The last paragraph has the usual Beijing deflection and BS.

Last edited:
We don't have to play a game in China in 2021 or 2022 IMHO, but can concentrate on the other stuff we have always had in mind to do around China, ie commercial partnerships and cultural engagement. There are still plenty of commercial opportunities down the track, unless the Chinese decided to cut off Oz at the knees because we want some accountability over Covid-19. China strategy has always been about the long game. The last couple of months proves it. It has been made tougher but not impossible.

The Chinese ambassador to Oz and Beijing have threatened to make it tougher but if they want the minerals and foods we have supplied them, they wont readily replace these goods with countries who wont be hard on them - USA, Canada, Brazil, EU etc. Education and Tourism is another matter. This was what he said in an exclusive one on one with the AFR.

China consumer backlash looms over Morrison's coronavirus probe
Beijing's ambassador has warned the Morrison government that its pursuit of an independent inquiry into the coronavirus pandemic could spark a Chinese consumer boycott of students and tourists visiting Australia, as well as sales of popular agricultural exports like beef and wine.

In an exclusive interview with The Australian Financial Review, Chinese Ambassador to Australia Cheng Jingye denounced Prime Minister Scott Morrison's push for an inquiry as "dangerous" and predicted it would fail to gain traction among global leaders.

"Resorting to suspicion, recrimination or division at such a critical time could only undermine global efforts to fight against this pandemic," he said.

Mr Cheng also refused to accept that the virus had started in a Wuhan "wet market", claiming the scientific jury remained out on its origins.

Mr Morrison and Foreign Minister Marise Payne last week launched a push for an independent investigation into the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, amid accusations the world lost precious weeks to respond to the crisis because China covered up the seriousness of the disease.
Mr Morrison has broached the issue in conversations with a number of leaders, including US President Donald Trump, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.UK, French and European Union officials have indicated their priority is fighting the pandemic, which has been much more serious in the northern hemisphere, but have agreed there is a need for lessons to be learnt.Mr Cheng, in his first comments on the COVID-19 crisis, said there would come a time for every country to look back and see how they could be better equipped to fight a future pandemic."No country is perfect with dealing with such a serious epidemic," he said.
Mr Cheng would not be drawn on whether iron ore, coal or gas exports would be affected by anti-Australian sentiment but indicated consumer products could be vulnerable.

"The Chinese public is frustrated, dismayed and disappointed with what Australia is doing now," he said. "I think in the long term... if the mood is going from bad to worse, people would think 'Why should we go to such a country that is not so friendly to China? The tourists may have second thoughts. "The parents of the students would also think whether this place which they found is not so friendly, even hostile, whether this is the best place to send their kids here.

"It is up to the people to decide. Maybe the ordinary people will say 'Why should we drink Australian wine? Eat Australian beef?'"

Mr Cheng did not repeat the conspiracy theory pushed last month by the Chinese Foreign Ministry that the virus was brought into Wuhan by a US soldier but maintained there was no proof it crossed over from animals to humans in one of the country's "wet markets". "Some politicians here claim the virus originated in Wuhan, China, which is not the case. The fact that the epidemic first broke out in China... does not mean the source of the virus originated in China," he said.

The last paragraph has the usual Beijing deflection and BS.

All about the narrative from both sides, I think the horse has bolted from a worlds point of view, they can say what they want but it won’t change much.

I guess SARS cane from Tasmania too...

Thomas was worried the SANFL wouldn't survive! His argument was that without the SANFL, then we might be forced to lose the Magpies (since there would be no league for it to play in).
How about we use this time to revamp this out dated league into one that focuses on actually developing elite junior footballers not being the second best comp in the world.

How about we use this time to revamp this out dated league into one that focuses on actually developing elite junior footballers not being the second best comp in the world.

No reserves sides for SNAFL clubs.
League and under age sides only.
List sizes reduced.
Severe restrictions on salary caps and numbers of ex-AFL, etc players.
PAFC to get zones and juniors back.

AfL clubs to be able to pre-list a defined number of F/Son, indigenous and Next Gen players each year.
AFL grand finals not bound to MCG any more - similar to NFL where it changes year to year.
More equitable number of interstate trips for Melbourne based clubs compared to non-Vic clubs.
Tigers, Pies, etc to not have 18 games gifted to them at the MCG.
AFL academies for ALL clubs to have metro and country players eligible to be listed..

Haven’t posted for quite some time.

Psychology services for a football club are counted within the soft cap which is wrong (on so many levels).

If the soft cap is being progressively ratcheted down, clubs will obviously look at all expense items under a microscope, will psychology services make way to retain a coach?

In an age when many players are putting their hand up to say they are struggling, and subsequently taking time out of the game, I fear that clubs will not have the ability to help players.

Just a thought.

ALL PLAYERS will be tested for COVID-19 by the end of the week as part of the AFL's plans to allow a resumption of training as early as next Monday.In a detailed memo sent to clubs, the AFL has ordered the tests, which take 5-10 minutes, be completed before Friday.

In the update to clubs, the AFL has also referenced the savage financial cuts that will be applied to all clubs' football departments.

Within the document, there are stern warnings against both breaking the outlined procedures - so as to not risk losing the confidence of governments and medical authorities – and breaching new protocols around expenditure in the football departments.

A maximum of 24 staff will be allowed, with a doctor, psychologist and player development manager among the legislated necessary staff.

COVID FALLOUT Gameday coach box set for massive cull

Clubs have forecast losing half "normal" revenues, and the AFL has warned that pre-COVID-19 levels of finances may not be seen for up to five years, "if at all". A financial limit has been placed on clubs as they set about returning to play, and the AFL has warned that a breach would result in luxury taxes being applied and it has also said financial safeguards that have been provided under new deals with banks would potentially be jeopardised.

As per "BAU (business as usual)" averages, clubs spend $730,000. Upon resumption, the AFL has told clubs they must reduce costs by 40 per cent, to about $430,000.

That figure is allowed to be increased to more than $500,000 when matches begin, which is expected to be mid to late June.

ALL PLAYERS will be tested for COVID-19 by the end of the week as part of the AFL's plans to allow a resumption of training as early as next Monday.In a detailed memo sent to clubs, the AFL has ordered the tests, which take 5-10 minutes, be completed before Friday.

In the update to clubs, the AFL has also referenced the savage financial cuts that will be applied to all clubs' football departments.

Within the document, there are stern warnings against both breaking the outlined procedures - so as to not risk losing the confidence of governments and medical authorities – and breaching new protocols around expenditure in the football departments.

A maximum of 24 staff will be allowed, with a doctor, psychologist and player development manager among the legislated necessary staff.

COVID FALLOUT Gameday coach box set for massive cull

Clubs have forecast losing half "normal" revenues, and the AFL has warned that pre-COVID-19 levels of finances may not be seen for up to five years, "if at all". A financial limit has been placed on clubs as they set about returning to play, and the AFL has warned that a breach would result in luxury taxes being applied and it has also said financial safeguards that have been provided under new deals with banks would potentially be jeopardised.

As per "BAU (business as usual)" averages, clubs spend $730,000. Upon resumption, the AFL has told clubs they must reduce costs by 40 per cent, to about $430,000.

That figure is allowed to be increased to more than $500,000 when matches begin, which is expected to be mid to late June.

Another "Stern Warning" from the AFL

Another chance for the Passion Fingered Tingles to screw it up

Putting the popcorn into the microwave as we speak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back