Find me a 20 and 3 season besides that of Leigh Matthews and my signature is yours

Remove this Banner Ad

That's all I see when I read your posts. Just accept that Lethal was a bit of a dud and Carey will always be the King. :thumbsu:

And yet this 'dud' managed to 20 & 3 FIVE times and no one else has managed to it ONCE.

Not even The King.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Seen plenty of players who had superior attributes but were nowhere near the player Lethal was.

Hang on, have you seen Matthews play in person or not?

You conveniently avoided responding to the point about changing your meaning on the 20 games after it was pointed out that there's a few players that have successfully gone 20 & 3 over 20 games in a single season. Why is that? Using 20 games as a minimum stipulation but then also requiring it to be 100% of the players games is disingenuous, either you need a sample size of 20 games from a season, or you want 100% of the games a player has played in that season. Demanding both from a sample is cherry picking, and doesn't make Matthews achievement any greater, it's just selective statistic use which does nothing to elevate him above the group of players that have also reached those heights.

Either way, be a man, wear the signature Haduken has selected for you, or carry on as a welcher. I'd be disappointed if you were a Geelong supporter.

RIOLIUSTAR

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2009
Padded cell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Can only dream of being this good
Looks like we can't find anyone

imagesCASZVM6C.jpg

Its time to Badge Hodgepodge Moderators ;)

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And yet this 'dud' managed to 20 & 3 FIVE times and no one else has managed to it ONCE.

Not even The King.

Selective statistics to make yourself feel better about having a mediocre hero.
Leigh 'duddles' Matthews never played in a North Melbourne premiership side, therefore he is inferior to the King. Duuuur.

It must be hard to realise that your hero was just above average, if anything. I'm here for you, champ. :)

Tank Girl

Cancelled
I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gold Coast
HodgePodge yet to have any answer to Mitch Robinson being a better midfielder than Matthews. Robinson's 17.8 beats Matthews' 15.6 :oops:

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
a quick google search for 'afl 20 and 3' reveals how little stock should be put in HPs own little stats combo.

he does like to think that he has the final say on how stats operate, i.e. the enforced (and necessary for his troll) 20 game cut-off, and his 'double counting FF stats' which is about as prevalent in the football stats world as the illustrious 20 and 3 (i.e. just in HPs head).

i dont think anyone is the bradman of football, but if you had to make a case for the GOAT leigh would be right up there.

one persons choice combo of stats that only allows players in goal scoring positions to 'win' it isnt the way to prove it though, otherwise —

— you can just do this:

GAS = 1 'C15&4';
the rest of VFL/AFL history = 0.

i dont even need some wack 'games played' cut-off to exclude everyone else, either.

Lance Franklin 2008:
25 games
383 possessions (15.32 average)
113 goals (4.52 average)

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hang on, have you seen Matthews play in person or not?

You conveniently avoided responding to the point about changing your meaning on the 20 games after it was pointed out that there's a few players that have successfully gone 20 & 3 over 20 games in a single season. Why is that? Using 20 games as a minimum stipulation but then also requiring it to be 100% of the players games is disingenuous

I didn't conveniently avoid anything. If you want something answered, just ask it.

The stipulation was always 1 season and 20 games minimum. Obviously 20 games does not qualify as a 1 season if it doesn't represent that player's entire season. It just becomes a fraction of 1.

This is true of even a contiguous 20 games, let alone those non-contiguous games that were handpicked to try and manufacture a faux-20 and 3. Most disingenuous.

I'd be disappointed if you were a Geelong supporter.

So would I.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
GAS = 1 'C15&4';
the rest of VFL/AFL history = 0. .

15 and 4 isn't a benchmark, it's just an average. Remember, the 20 and 3 represents a minimum, so the equivalent for Ablett would be the 10 and 4. And that's already been bettered by Hudson, Lockett, Dunstall and others. So even if you're double counting stats for full-forwards, Ablett's stats are nothing special amongst his peers on the basis of possession/goal benchmarks.

Tank Girl

Cancelled
I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gold Coast
15 and 4 isn't a benchmark, it's just an average. Remember, the 20 and 3 represents a minimum, so the equivalent for Ablett would be the 10 and 4. .
HodgePodge just admitted that loads of players have the equivelant of a 20 & 3. Handover sig, welch boy :)

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
15 and 4 isn't a benchmark, it's just an average. Remember, the 20 and 3 represents a minimum, so the equivalent for Ablett would be the 10 and 4. And that's already been bettered by Hudson, Lockett, Dunstall and others. So even if you're double counting stats for full-forwards, Ablett's stats are nothing special amongst his peers on the basis of possession/goal benchmarks.

I just smashed his 15 and 4 argument with the first player I could think of that might have gone close. No need to debate that point anymore

barmy44

BigFooty Guy
May 14, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, England Test Team, Sturt

cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Matthews was a horrible user of the ball. He makes Fyfe look like a phenomenon when disposing of the pill

Nope, you just don't understand the differences in the way football was played in the 70s and early 80s, it would seem.

I can understand why he didn't get tagged

Matthews got plenty of great tags. Legends of the game would line up to try and stop him.

barmy44

BigFooty Guy
May 14, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, England Test Team, Sturt
Not going by the bitching about qualifiers in this thread.

meh, do you actually really care about this?

your hero was undoubtedly one of the best footballers of all time, possibly even the best. never saw him play, but im sure he was every bit as good as his record suggests. gun coach, too.

plenty more/else to enjoy in life than just footy, long retired footy players, and spouting stats. love watching you work, though.

Matthews got plenty of great tags. Legends of the game would line up to try and stop him.

Bullshit, no one wanted to tag him for fear of copping a king hit when not looking...

Smedts_2

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I must be missing something; Smedts2 implied dane swan has 20 and 3'd but I can't see how as never kicked 60 goals in a year.

I don't accept his adjustment of 6.6 possessions as equal to one goal in average, the point of the 20 and 3 is to achieve both.

There is NO point in a 20 and 3. It's a meaningless and entirely arbitrary troll by a onanistic Hawthorn supporter. I've interpreted the significance of it in a way which shows its meaninglessness. And Dane Swan was a nice comparator because he demonstrates how meaningless raw possession stats are. Although Swan did manage to pick up a Brownlow...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back