Find me a 20 and 3 season besides that of Leigh Matthews and my signature is yours

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope, you just don't understand the differences in the way football was played in the 70s and early 80s, it would seem.

Well, let's go right ahead and slap a big ol' * on the end of that 20 & 3.

Impossible to compare valueless 70s/80s disposals to other eras when what you did with the pill actually mattered

Selective statistics to make yourself feel better about having a mediocre hero.
Leigh 'duddles' Matthews never played in a North Melbourne premiership side, therefore he is inferior to the King. Duuuur.

It must be hard to realise that your hero was just above average, if anything. I'm here for you, champ. :)

You're not serious, are you?

Every player than has played in the modern era has had the opportunity to 20 and 3. Every one of them.

One bloke has done it 5 times.

No one can find anyone else who has done it once.

It's not 'selective' when everyone has the opportunity to do it.

It is entirely selective. Gary Ablett Jnr has 30 and 1'd 4 times, Matthews has never done it. Dane Swan 30 and 1'd twice, Matthews never. Gary Ablett Snr 15 and 4'd several times and maintained it as his career average, Matthews never did it, not even in a single season. Tony Lockett 10 and 6'd 3 times, Matthews failed to ever do it. Adam Goodes won a Brownlow in 2 different positions, Matthews failed to do it ever, in any position. Andrew Swallow twice averaged over 25 disposals and 6 tackles in a season, Matthews has done it never. Dean Cox has twice averaged over 20 disposals and 25 hitouts, Matthews never (sidenote - has any other player ever done this? Cox for GOAT according to Hodgepodge)

You are only using 20 and 3 as the measure because your player meets the criteria, when he fails to meet dozens of others.

There is NO point in a 20 and 3. It's a meaningless and entirely arbitrary troll by a onanistic Hawthorn supporter. I've interpreted the significance of it in a way which shows its meaninglessness. And Dane Swan was a nice comparator because he demonstrates how meaningless raw possession stats are. Although Swan did manage to pick up a Brownlow...
Yeah but the win would be much greater if we found a 20 and 3. I think some may exist in the pre TV era.

It is entirely selective. Gary Ablett Jnr has 30 and 1'd 4 times, Matthews has never done it. Dane Swan 30 and 1'd twice, Matthews never. Gary Ablett Snr 15 and 4'd several times and maintained it as his career average, Matthews never did it, not even in a single season. Tony Lockett 10 and 6'd 3 times, Matthews failed to ever do it. Adam Goodes won a Brownlow in 2 different positions, Matthews failed to do it ever, in any position. Andrew Swallow twice averaged over 25 disposals and 6 tackles in a season, Matthews has done it never. Dean Cox has twice averaged over 20 disposals and 25 hitouts, Matthews never (sidenote - has any other player ever done this? Cox for GOAT according to Hodgepodge)

You are only using 20 and 3 as the measure because your player meets the criteria, when he fails to meet dozens of others.

Then start your own thread, moron.

This one's about players who 20 and 3'd.

I could not like this post any more. :thumbsu:

There is NO point in a 20 and 3. It's a meaningless and entirely arbitrary troll by a onanistic Hawthorn supporter. I've interpreted the significance of it in a way which shows its meaninglessness. And Dane Swan was a nice comparator because he demonstrates how meaningless raw possession stats are. Although Swan did manage to pick up a Brownlow...

Smedts_2 Waving the white flag to be sure, with some raw offended thrown in....Pure Ownage from da Podge!

You're not serious, are you?

Every player that has played in the modern era has had the opportunity to 20 and 3. Every one of them. CHEQUE

One bloke has done it 5 times. CHEQUE

(No one can find anyone else who has done it once.) CHEQUE

CHEQUE MATE!!!

THIS^^^^^^Excellent summation Frankston Rovers...Especially da bit in da brackets!:thumbsu:

No, moron, this thread is about that being the only measure for "footballing excellence". In Hodgey's own words

Yeah Bay 13 is the oracle of football.

You do realise you could start your own thread and state whatever you like as the standard of "footballing excellence" and yet you and every other knobjockey in the world continue to get hauled in by the best troll on this website.

But you keep swingin' champ. You're all over it... :rolleyes:

It is entirely selective. Gary Ablett Jnr has 30 and 1'd 4 times, Matthews has never done it. Dane Swan 30 and 1'd twice, Matthews never.

I'd say a 20 and 3 is obviously better than a 30 and 1.

Gary Ablett Snr 15 and 4'd several times and maintained it as his career average, Matthews never did it, not even in a single season.

That's simple, 4 goal averages are reserved for full-forwards, since no player outside full-forward has been able to average 4 goals a game. Therefore Ablett's 4 goal average needs to be compared against other full-forwards, and i'm afraid it's nothing special in that context.

I'm using the 20 and 3 because it's available to all the best ball players as a measure of performance. If a rover can 20 and 3, then any ball player can. Ruckmen, forwards, midfielders, wingmen, the lot. Whereas your 6 goal season averages are reserved just for full-forwards and are not unique in that company.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we just rename this tread to 'The Official Hawks Meltdown thread'

Actually it should be re-named the Official Hawks/Barney/Hodgepodge Ownage Thread!:thumbsu:

Not a single poster has provided a single example to prove the thread premise wrong!:D

What we in fact have here, is 43 pages of Jelly-smeared-try-hards, unable to match the knowledgeable brilliance of The Podge!....Who has, if nothing else, taught you all a lesson in researching your AFL/VFL history & statistical facts!....& For THAT, You should all be thanking him!:cool:

NOW that we all KNOW that Barney is indeed the quintessential Don Bradman of the AFL, then there need be no more arguments over this unequivocal, incontrovertible, self-evident fact!:)

Oh Yes, & this is coming from someone Who actually did see Barney in action, live with his own eyes, season after season from 1974 onwards!:rainbow:....Not a single player comes close to him for match-winning ability!

Yeah Bay 13 is the oracle of football.

You do realise you could start your own thread and state whatever you like as the standard of "footballing excellence" and yet you and every other knobjockey in the world continue to get hauled in by the best troll on this website.

But you keep swingin' champ. You're all over it... :rolleyes:
They get more enjoyment trying to take HP down rather than posting their own alternative in another thread.

Hello Bay

Well I guess it's that time of year again. People are bored, and I've been getting more of the same, another round of faux-20 and 3s thrown at me by the usual suspects. Guys who 20 and 3'd for one game. 10 games. 18 games. Jimmy Bartel.

The initial criteria for the 20 and 3 was quite clear. One season. 20 games. 20+ posessions a game. 3+goals a game.

Players must meet this criteria to achieve footballing excellence the likes of which Matthews reached 5 times.

Therefore footballing offal such as Nathan Brown, Jimmy Bartel, Gary Ablett and now David Clarke did NOT 20 and 3 under this criteria and did not reach Matthews levels of excellence.

I also set the limit of 20 games because I feel that this best constitutes the minimum for a football season in which excellence can be achieved. It is also coincidentally the cut-off for submitting record Test averages.

bradman-420x0.jpg

I feel that this is as good a time as any to set a new challenge. Anyone who can submit a 20 and 3 under the aforementioned criteria can have my signature for 3 months, starting now, the 17th of December 2013.

Until then, please enjoy the following videos of the Great One.

And may you all 20 and 3 in your own lives.

Regards,

HP.

Do you yell at your therapist when he/she tells you Nathan Brown was the only player to 20 & 3 an AFL season?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/how-often-do-you-yell-at-your-therapist.1047559/

What a shame that Leigh Matthews has been exposed as a drug cheat, otherwise he would be the only player to achieve this feat. 7 times as well, oh my, now that would have been impressive. Unfortunately David Clarke is now the only player to have come close, therefore making him the best player of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back