Finding a job in a different state | BigFooty

Finding a job in a different state

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by james Dean, Feb 22, 2018.

1. james Dean

james Dean Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    PHX, NUFC, Pats
    I've been tossing up the idea of moving interstate for a while. Who here has been through the process of moving interstate by choice rather than necessity?

Did you secure a job prior to your move or did you move with the belief that you would find something once you arrived (risky)? What are the best ways of not getting your CV thrown in the bin when they see that you live in a different state?

Power Raid likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Allikat

Allikat Aunty Allikat

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
    I moved interstate for work a few years ago now by choice. I applied for a company that hires from all over Australia, but then requires everyone to move to Victoria for training & work.
    Before that I had no luck applying for jobs interstate (I was thinking about moving to Melbourne before I got this job), and heard literally nothing from anywhere I applied. The chance that someone's going to take a job and then not make them move over is just way too big.

3. Silent Alarm

Silent Alarm (sandy)

Fremantle
    Do you have friends there? That makes it cheaper, less risky, and changes your outlook.

4. james Dean

james Dean Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    PHX, NUFC, Pats
    Cheaper in regards to accommodation? I do have a few friends/acquaintances who live interstate but they are either married or I wouldn't want to live with them any longer than a week or two.

5. raskolnikov

raskolnikov Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Lions
    I got a job in Queensland living in Victoria. Admittedly the recruitment process was a lot different than most jobs.

6. van peebles

van peebles Cancelled

GWS
    Looking for advice from anybody who has lived/worked in vanuatu?

7. nobbyiscool

nobbyiscool Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
    It's expensive whichever way you do it. Though admittedly, when I moved from Canberra to Melbourne I had the worst of both worlds.

I decided I was moving. I lined up some job interviews and travelled down here 3 times, also checking out rentals while I was here. I didn't get the jobs, so having spent the money travelling for interviews, I then just took the risk and spent more money with no more coming in when I moved here anyway.

I was quite fortunate that, at the time, I could afford to do it. In the end I decided not to work immediately after I got here - I spent the first 6 months finishing a post grad then did some travelling before I decided that I had to get a job.

I do think it's much easier to find something when you're in the city in which you want to work, cos I think living interstate will cause some recruiters to shy away from you.

8. Silent Alarm

Silent Alarm (sandy)

Fremantle
    I'm in the process of doing it 'again' but also for the first time. When I moved interstate I either didn't need a job or was going back home so it's been a simple process. This time I'm looking only for jobs I want to do. I don't want to waste time with shit I'm unsure of and if it's something I see myself doing, and it's comfortable in terms of wages, then I have no issue going through the initial drama of finding a house. Big thing for me is trying to get interviews all within the same few weeks. I have people I can stay with though so that really helps.

Then again if you're from Adelaide and going to Melbourne, or Canberra to Sydney, it costs way less to travel there. Swings n that.

If it's just one or two interviews within a few days then there's no issue in slumming it in a hostel. Lots at this time of year will be quiet.

9. MrPremiership

MrPremiership Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Trying to get a job in Singapore (insolvency/restructuring). Near on impossible

10. Power Raid

Power Raid TheBrownDog

Port Adelaide
    I'd urge everyone to reconsider where they live at least once in their life

the world is a massive place with so much opportunity.

I think most employers would welcome people who have a bit of courage and get up and go. What better way to demonstrate that, than by moving interstate or overseas.

Resistor likes this.