james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
I've been tossing up the idea of moving interstate for a while. Who here has been through the process of moving interstate by choice rather than necessity?

Did you secure a job prior to your move or did you move with the belief that you would find something once you arrived (risky)? What are the best ways of not getting your CV thrown in the bin when they see that you live in a different state?

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
I moved interstate for work a few years ago now by choice. I applied for a company that hires from all over Australia, but then requires everyone to move to Victoria for training & work.
Before that I had no luck applying for jobs interstate (I was thinking about moving to Melbourne before I got this job), and heard literally nothing from anywhere I applied. The chance that someone's going to take a job and then not make them move over is just way too big.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've been tossing up the idea of moving interstate for a while. Who here has been through the process of moving interstate by choice rather than necessity?

Did you secure a job prior to your move or did you move with the belief that you would find something once you arrived (risky)? What are the best ways of not getting your CV thrown in the bin when they see that you live in a different state?
Do you have friends there? That makes it cheaper, less risky, and changes your outlook.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I got a job in Queensland living in Victoria. Admittedly the recruitment process was a lot different than most jobs.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
It's expensive whichever way you do it. Though admittedly, when I moved from Canberra to Melbourne I had the worst of both worlds.

I decided I was moving. I lined up some job interviews and travelled down here 3 times, also checking out rentals while I was here. I didn't get the jobs, so having spent the money travelling for interviews, I then just took the risk and spent more money with no more coming in when I moved here anyway.

I was quite fortunate that, at the time, I could afford to do it. In the end I decided not to work immediately after I got here - I spent the first 6 months finishing a post grad then did some travelling before I decided that I had to get a job.

I do think it's much easier to find something when you're in the city in which you want to work, cos I think living interstate will cause some recruiters to shy away from you.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm in the process of doing it 'again' but also for the first time. When I moved interstate I either didn't need a job or was going back home so it's been a simple process. This time I'm looking only for jobs I want to do. I don't want to waste time with s**t I'm unsure of and if it's something I see myself doing, and it's comfortable in terms of wages, then I have no issue going through the initial drama of finding a house. Big thing for me is trying to get interviews all within the same few weeks. I have people I can stay with though so that really helps.

Then again if you're from Adelaide and going to Melbourne, or Canberra to Sydney, it costs way less to travel there. Swings n that.

If it's just one or two interviews within a few days then there's no issue in slumming it in a hostel. Lots at this time of year will be quiet.

I'd urge everyone to reconsider where they live at least once in their life

the world is a massive place with so much opportunity.

I think most employers would welcome people who have a bit of courage and get up and go. What better way to demonstrate that, than by moving interstate or overseas.

Back