Finding a stolen phone

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Hello folks. I am curious how the police trace an IMEI number. I am also curious that if someone had a phone stolen and knew who initially took it (and who they may have given it to) are there any apps or techniques that would allow a person to replicate what the police do?

Hello folks. I am curious how the police trace an IMEI number. I am also curious that if someone had a phone stolen and knew who initially took it (and who they may have given it to) are there any apps or techniques that would allow a person to replicate what the police do?

The cops would need a warrant before putting in a request with the telcos to work out what cell towers it's been on, there's no way for you to do it via IMEI yourself. The only way you could do it is through Find My iPhone or Android's Find My Device equivalent, assuming they haven't wiped the phone or turned the feature off as it works through the attached account.

The cops would need a warrant before putting in a request with the telcos to work out what cell towers it's been on, there's no way for you to do it via IMEI yourself. The only way you could do it is through Find My iPhone or Android's Find My Device equivalent, assuming they haven't wiped the phone or turned the feature off as it works through the attached account.

That was done within an hour of it happening. I know who took it (from my son). It has been through police and they aren't doing anything productive. They are only concerned with making sure we have more kids in the lockup, not returning property it seems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back