Discussion Finding your 'whale'

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a pic of the sublimated version of the 95 Lions preseason.
IMG_0932.JPG

Isn't that just a repro by the Fitzroy museum, Mero? Look how poorly the AFL logo and Fitzroy lion are rendered, plus the tag just has the FFC logo on it.

Isn't that just a repro by the Fitzroy museum, Mero? Look how poorly the AFL logo and Fitzroy lion are rendered, plus the tag just has the FFC logo on it.
Yeah, on second look you might be right.
The AFL logo is wrong, and you'd think they could have got the lion more accurate.

I wish they'd used the lion they used for the logo on the chest, and not the Scanlen's Footy Card logo the VFL used.
Closer to this:
mNS6YzcE7ZH_BFamNHG_Xrw.jpg

Similar but still different to the now 'traditional Fitzroy' lion.

Haha I still desperately want one though

Even the Hawks had reproductions of that yellow "Hawks" jumper with the diagonal stripes with that dodgy looking old AFL logo

Yeah, alongside the diamonds jumper, both for sale on their museum website. And from memory, both had those thin inaccurate old AFL logos too. I wonder if that was a copyright thing or just negligence?

Bumping with a few images I saw of extremely rare guernseys auctioned off last year on the "Moss Green" website. Some of these are just ludicrously rare.

Fitzroy 1984-84 training jumper, Michael Nettlefold PI. Love the faded Darlington sponsor!

1t4jAxu.jpg

UOVTxve.jpg
The best pub in potentially Australia for footy gear hanging on the walls (now sadly a dying scene, with typical pubs becoming sterilised stainless steel and polished wood restaurants-with-craft beer), the Napier Hotel (which also has the best parma [with roo] in Melbs – no doubt) has one of these hanging. After a couple I asked the guy behind the bar once and he told me they had about 10 of the same training jumpers all dedicated by some ex player who I didn't know. No idea what he did with the rest...

Worth ducking up to for the old posters and jumpers alone.

The best pub in potentially Australia for footy gear hanging on the walls (now sadly a dying scene, with typical pubs becoming sterilised stainless steel and polished wood restaurants-with-craft beer), the Napier Hotel (which also has the best parma [with roo] in Melbs – no doubt) has one of these hanging. After a couple I asked the guy behind the bar once and he told me they had about 10 of the same training jumpers all dedicated by some ex player who I didn't know. No idea what he did with the rest...

Worth ducking up to for the old posters and jumpers alone.
Fitzroy has many pubs with some epic memorabilia.

Fitzroy has many pubs with some epic memorabilia.
Absolute worst one is at Persa, that big mural on the wall behind the pool tables...

Basically, it's the classic Roys jumper but there's an FFC and a lion and they're both... drawn by hand to say the least.

Bumping with a few images I saw of extremely rare guernseys auctioned off last year on the "Moss Green" website. Some of these are just ludicrously rare.

----------

Early 1990s Crows training jumper, Shaun Rehn PI. Some of you may be familiar with the red variant.

6kmtKdT.jpg

nMDVowQ.jpg

Fitzroy 1995 pre-season; note how the side panels are hand made. Doug Hawkins signed PI

2J3A3WC.jpg

z3E7VOQ.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

These look very familiar

And finally a Saints 2002 away jumper in the infamous yellow. Daniel Wulf PI. The three years the Saints wore this jumper can be identified quite easily; 2001 jumpers had the Pura Light Start sponsorship, 2002 jumpers didn't (instead it was Strathfield/Mortgage House), 2003 jumpers had the garish red trim.

Li4i5tQ.jpg

btfwc7N.jpg

Chasing the Dream look familiar?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, alongside the diamonds jumper, both for sale on their museum website. And from memory, both had those thin inaccurate old AFL logos too. I wonder if that was a copyright thing or just negligence?
I heard a little while back that it's for the same reason as to the inaccuracys in the VFL logo on the retro woollen guernseys released this year. Just enough to raise a few eyebrows and questions if somebody tries to flog it off on ebay as an original without taking away it's nostialgia and risk nobody wanting to buy it from the club.

So something of a whale for me is this retro adidas Crows jacket. The one pictured is from 1999, which is good, but I'd prefer a 1998 which has the old shield logo instead.

View attachment 148741

I have searched for a while on eBay but those I have found have been the wrong size or damaged or some other such issue.

Today a kid comes in to my work, probably about 15-16 years old, wearing the 1998 version of this. It was beautiful! It looked as if it was brand new, the colours were so vibrant. I was insanely jealous of this guy. It was also obviously a size or two too big for him (but probably perfect for me). I made small talk about the Crows and he said...

"Oh, I don't actually go for the Crows. I'm a Collingwood fan. I just have this jacket."

WHAT!?!? I wanted to scream! This perfect specimen of a premiership year jacket was absolutely WASTED on this punk kid! I contemplated offering to buy it off him, but opted against it, and I am now wallowing in regret.

I found my jacket whale!

Just bought this bad boy off ebay...

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/172017863129

Couldn't go past a $35 BIN price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back