Finishing 17th or 18th - your preference?

Finish 17th or 18th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think we're going to have any choice in it, but if we can beat Richmond <on the back of a serious game from the youngsters> then pick 1 can get stuffed.
If we do that, the Operation get Horne is looking in serious doubt.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
In 2004 Hawks finished second bottom and picked up Roughead, Franklin and Lewis vs Deledio and Tambling for the Tigers, so might as well not finish bottom for the pick based on that logic.

Pick 1 vs 2 isn't some guarantee of a gun, we just need to finish low.
When Richmond won in 2017, did anyone care they had won the spoon in 2007 and 2004?

Of course not. But they picked up Cotchin and Rance at the 2007 draft, who became multiple AA, premiership winning, Brownlow medal players.

So you take the lowest position because no one cares after a few years

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

In this circumstance, 17th.

Having 1 or 2 as your draft pick doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Both usually net the team a good to very good player (with a decent % of players picked here becoming elite). Preferring 1 over 2 is a much of muchness case without a Rowell being available.

That said, the circumstance that I'd take 17th is due to who we had to knock over. The 2019 premiers (and the team who should be odds on favourite for 2020) in Richmond. Imagine the swagger and confidence a lot of the kids could take into pre-season having a four game winning streak, including an away trip and knocking off both grand finalists. That would be worth its weight in gold and a true tick for Nicks and co. game plan.

Last edited:

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In 2004 Hawks finished second bottom and picked up Roughead, Franklin and Lewis vs Deledio and Tambling for the Tigers, so might as well not finish bottom for the pick based on that logic.

Pick 1 vs 2 isn't some guarantee of a gun, we just need to finish low.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

The media picks the number 1 pick. Less pressure with pick 2.

Has anyone done the maths on how badly North losses to finish last if the Crows lose as well?

Has anyone done the maths on how badly North losses to finish last if the Crows lose as well?

~80 points more than the Crows losing margin, though that number comes from someone else.

So we can rule that one out.

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
I think North Melbourne will finish bottom in 2021. What can be done this year to get North Melbourne’s future 1st so we can get Horne next year? Our GWS pick and Chayce Jones to North for their future 1st?

It would be great to defeat Richmond - I’d take that result and pick 2 over the wooden spoon. I’d also keep Brad Crouch.

Add any of Hollands, McDonald or Thilthorpe - all seem exciting high end talents. I think I’d lean towards getting Hollands if we can, but adding McDonald or Thilthorpe to Fogarty and Himmelberg would be nice too.

As suggested above, any leverage we can take to get better deals with picks or out of contract players - do it. Be ruthless. We could do a West Coast and get back up quickly.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I personally don't think it's all that much of a difference to be honest ie. finishing 17th or 18th.
2 key points:

1. This year, out of all the years, is going to be a hard one to make concrete calls on the best young talents. The Covid19 has caused footy to stop for months, and there isn't a continuity of games in the junior ranks to make good assessments like all the other years. So without knowing much about the top talents that are out there, I can imagine picks 1-5 will be kind of hazy to be absolutely confident on.

2. Whether we finish last or second from last, I think it was more important we have some winning momentum and a mood shift (from 13-straight-losses apathetic depression to 3 wins-in-a-row optimistic euthymia). This would now hopefully bring the playing group closer in bonding over the coming preseason, and get fans more chilled without absolute despair for the footy seasons to come.
So draft* as well......

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think North Melbourne will finish bottom in 2021. What can be done this year to get North Melbourne’s future 1st so we can get Horne next year? Our GWS pick and Chayce Jones to North for their future 1st?

It would be great to defeat Richmond - I’d take that result and pick 2 over the wooden spoon. I’d also keep Brad Crouch.

Add any of Hollands, McDonald or Thilthorpe - all seem exciting high end talents. I think I’d lean towards getting Hollands if we can, but adding McDonald or Thilthorpe to Fogarty and Himmelberg would be nice too.

As suggested above, any leverage we can take to get better deals with picks or out of contract players - do it. Be ruthless. We could do a West Coast and get back up quickly.
Will need pick 2 to try and trade pick 1 to North otherwise they won't look at trading pick 1 for pick 2 so will be pick 1 for pick 3 + trade each other future 1st rounder.....I think North will bite at that.

Still can win and finish last but I would look at trading pick 1 especially when we get pick 2 for B.Crouch.

I have watched a certain team I follow over here play the lose and/or trade high picks game.

Their last season over .500 was in 2007. That’s correct—13 years ago.

I will never ever never be in the lose games for draft choices and/or trade high draft picks.

Draft picks can get hurt and they can also never pan out.

Trading away top 5 picks is generally equally foolhardy. There is a reason you have a selection in the top 5–serious lack of talent.

So wherever the Crows finish they should conduct their due diligence and make a pick —presumably for a top 5 talent.

They should also try to beat the doors off the black and yellow next weekend.

Then you hope you pick right and that injury doesn’t derail your picks career.

But trying to lose or being okay with losing is never ever good with me.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have a preference to win a flag as quick as possible. Whatever makes that happen I'm all for.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

North need to lose by around 120 points I believe. Depends on our margin obviously. If we go down by 30 points it's around that mark.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The differences in the scenarios are so marginal. The only thing that might be significant is the psd but let's be real, a situation where that plays out is so unlikely.

I think we should be encouraging our young players to go out there and give it their all. If a win comes then so be it (very unlikely). The end result come draft time changes by an insignificant amount.

I'll add that I would like nicks to try a few things e.g. Strategy or young players in certain positions. This may impact the result anyway.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pick 2 won't be attractive for North if they have pick 3, need to somehow get their future 1st rounder and they might bite at pick 1 for pick 3 and swap of 2021 1st rounder.
Who said anything about North?

I'm still on the trade 2,21 to Sydney for 4/5 and 2020/1 train

Back