Finishing 17th or 18th - your preference?

Finish 17th or 18th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
It's really only one option less player wise so it's really not that big of a deal IMO.

You would think with the way the Roos seem to be pushing Ben Brown out the door they're more than likely going to go Logan McDonald so unless we're thinking he's the best player in the draft as well we're not losing anything. I can't see us using the psd threat anyhow with Hately if he's in our plans given we have had a good relationship with GWS in the past and they are so well served with so much midfield talent

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
It's really only one option less player wise so it's really not that big of a deal IMO.

You would think with the way the Roos seem to be pushing Ben Brown out the door they're more than likely going to go Logan McDonald so unless we're thinking he's the best player in the draft as well we're not losing anything. I can't see us using the psd threat anyhow with Hately if he's in our plans given we have had a good relationship with GWS in the past and they are so well served with so much midfield talent
Reckon the Roos would bid on JUH?

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So given we lose to Richmond and North Lose to WCE, even if we lose in a close game, WCE need to win by 80+ points. Not sure of the highest margin this year but I don't think it's 80+. Very unlikely that we don't win the spoon. Yipee

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Let's say there's a club willing to trade their early 20'r1 and their 21'r1 pick for pick 1** this year because they're desperate for McDonald (maybe Sydney, Freo, Hawks?) - wouldn't you want us to have that option first rather than North?

(** plus whatever other pick trades to balance things)

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
3 weeks ago I would have been all about pick 1, but right now I'm actually more interested in giving this game the reddest of hot cracks.

We've been given the gift of a benchmark test to finish off the year. Richmond are not getting above Brisbane, and the WC and GEEL games are pretty much locks. Richmond need this game for top 4, so you know we are getting their best.

The perfect barometer for Nicks to see how far we've come this year!

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
its not the main draft I’m worried about.

its the PSD.. having pick 1 there could end up being massive.

imagine if one of the GWS lads that are OOC ends up forced into the PSD because a trade cant be reached... no matter how slim a chance of that happening there is, we need to be in pole position for it.

and pick 1 in the PSD also affords us the ability at the trade table to say “look we would love to strike a fair deal with you here for ........ but you’e simply being far too unreasonable so ........ might just have to come to us in the PSD and you’ll end up with nothing.

I’m happy for that to happen if we are being fair and reasonable at the trade table and the opposite club are being dicks..

chrisso crow

All Australian
Jul 27, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NA Roosters
Given we are playing Richmond in the final round, the choice will be taken from us...

Let's hope so, but I have a feeling NM will get flogged by WCE and their percentage may dip below ours if we get too close to Richmond.

Any mathematicians out there know what the rough 'points difference' is between ours and NM percentage?

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I like that we are finishing the year well, with Laird solving our midfield contest problem and kids developing nicely.

If we finish 17th because of another uptick that’s fine with me. Best case we win and so do North so we still get 18th.

It seems unlikely though, Richmond are a class above the non-finalists we just beat.

Let's hope so, but I have a feeling NM will get flogged by WCE and their percentage may dip below ours if we get too close to Richmond.

Any mathematicians out there know what the rough 'points difference' is between ours and NM percentage?

Neither West Coast nor Richmond have been scoring all that heavily this year - even when winning. In a good game, West Coast have been topping out at about 80 points. Their biggest score was 111 against Collingwood. Richmond have only been scoring about 60 points per game, give or take.

Assuming West Coast score 100 points and they limit Norf to 3 goals, and Richmond kick 10 straight...

We would still finish last if we got this close:

West Coast 100 def. Norf 18
Richmond 60 def. Adelaide 55

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does having #1 pick in the PSD actually act as a threat??

Carlton got Martin from the suns for nothing despite them having the pick in the PSD before them. I dunno why GC didn't use it. Perhaps the AFL told them not to as they dint want the ugly look. Why not remove the PSD tho if youre the AFL? Perhaps that was why the AFL gave them the concessions (and they helped out Carlton too,how convenient, when are we going to be on the end of one of these help outs??).

If the player isn't going to sign a contract at your club, then PSD doesn't matter does it?

Back