Finishing a basement/garage/attic

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering if any of the folks here have experience with finishing a basement, garage or attic... basically some space that's typically not lived in but could be done up nicely to add space and value to your house.

I'm living in a rental now with a finished basement, and whilst we like the space and having a two-storey separation (particularly when both working from home), it was not done well. Very poor workmanship. We are now looking to buy a place and have a keen eye on the potential for basement finishes, so I'm wondering if folks have some experience here they'd like to share.

I haven't but that's my next project. I have a huge garage/basement (I have a Queenslander style house) that atm looks like something out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I haven't but that's my next project. I have a huge garage/basement (I have a Queenslander style house) that atm looks like something out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Mind showing a pic of it (or something representative)? I have no idea what a QLDer style house is.

Also I forget that most Aussie houses don't have basements (I live in the States where they are super common)...

Mind showing a pic of it (or something representative)? I have no idea what a QLDer style house is.

Also I forget that most Aussie houses don't have basements (I live in the States where they are super common)...

This isn't mine but it's along the same lines. Queenslanders were built up high to prevent flooding. Screenshot_20210112-073017_Samsung Internet.jpg

The only negatives were lack of insulation and lack of AC (had a portable one but once it hit 35 degrees plus you may as well not even use it)

Heating it in winter was easy as tho

I feel you. I remember my mate's bedroom being in a garage for a while. Definitely bigger!

One of the poor aspects of the finished basement we have now is the lack of insulation. You can blast a heater and it'll go to like 80 and then be down to 60 in no time. Also have to always wear socks or slippers since the floors are cold as hell.

Friends of mine have a rear double garage that has been converted to an extra room. No idea what it looked like before the conversion but has carpet floor and plastered walls with doors into the house and backyard. Biggest issue is the ceiling. Has a pitched roof with ceiling panels but no dropped ceiling and roof cavity/attic space so it gets hot as s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back